S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

6k rev limit, no vtec, P0113, P2647, P0141

Old 06-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6k rev limit, no vtec, P0113, P2647, P0141

I have an '04 S2000 with 85k miles. I failed to maintain valve adjustment and when I did check there were several with nearly no clearance. After adjusting, I had the following compression from #1 to #4: 221, 223, 183, 251. It was running pretty well, but seemed down on power. So, I took it to a machine shop in the area for a valve job (they also removed/replaced head). They said I needed 11 valves, so I bought a full set from Honda dealer ($$$$). Got it back about 6 weeks later and it soon overheated. Took it to a different, closer shop and they found a coolant leak from a cracked heater tube (which was deformed on the end as from squeezing with pliers to remove hose) and chunk broken from radiator where upper hose attaches. Bought mishimoto rad. But, car wouldn't start from blown head gasket. I had it towed back to 1st shop and they agreed to fix it free. Got it back last week, having had it less than four weeks since 3/1/16. After a few short trips, I then changed oil and filter and fluids in diff and tranny.
It runs ok, except that it acts like it has a rev limiter at 6k. Found this out at the track, where it was a very hot day, so I just short shifted but the problem was consistent. I can only hope I haven't made it worse. I've been reading a lot of threads and thinking perhaps I might have a gummed up vtec solenoid screen from the coolant getting into the oil? (Coolant in oil was observed.) I guess this is simplest to check/fix. I assume I need to get a new gasket in hand before I get into that, yes? But, I'm worried that vtec pins are not positioned/functioning properly. Obviously, I'm reluctant to take it back to the shop. Not sure I trust myself to start disassembling rockers, but I guess I trust them even less. I have the Honda shop manual. Any advise would be very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
P.S. note 3 codes in title.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

No more water in oil? What are the compression reading on the cylinders, now?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
No more water in oil? What are the compression reading on the cylinders, now?

Thanks!
Oil is pristine-looking on dipstick. No engine cooling problems during hot trackday, although revs never above 6k.
I haven't had a chance to recheck compression. I'm really interested to see.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

What are the compression readings after the valve job? Are they consistently good?

You prolly need to pull the VTEC solenoid valve and inspect it. Test the electric relay to see if the VTEC piston is working.

Also, there is a test to be sure that the rocker arm is fully engaging VTEC. I have it on page 6-8 and 6-9 of my Honda s2000 manual. Uses compressed air and an adapter.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
What are the compression readings after the valve job? Are they consistently good?

You prolly need to pull the VTEC solenoid valve and inspect it. Test the electric relay to see if the VTEC piston is working.

Also, there is a test to be sure that the rocker arm is fully engaging VTEC. I have it on page 6-8 and 6-9 of my Honda s2000 manual. Uses compressed air and an adapter.
OK, thanks...I will come back after I have done what I can with the screen,,,,probably the weekend.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry I couldn't be more help at the track, but as I told you the VTEC oil pressure sensor is the main thing that won't allow VTEC to activate. Let's stick with the facts:

P0113: This says that something is wrong with your Intake Air Temp Sensor. It won't cause your current issue but can mess with both fuel and ignition timing if not reading correctly.

P2647: This has to do with the VTEC oil pressure sensor and can definitely cause your issue. Either the sensor is bad or something in the VTEC solenoid is not allowing it to see the proper oil pressure and thus it doesn't activate VTEC.

P0141: This says that your O2 sensor heater circuit is not working properly. It shouldn't effect anything on track and probably means you need a new O2 sensor.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Sorry I couldn't be more help at the track, but as I told you the VTEC oil pressure sensor is the main thing that won't allow VTEC to activate. Let's stick with the facts:

P0113: This says that something is wrong with your Intake Air Temp Sensor. It won't cause your current issue but can mess with both fuel and ignition timing if not reading correctly.

P2647: This has to do with the VTEC oil pressure sensor and can definitely cause your issue. Either the sensor is bad or something in the VTEC solenoid is not allowing it to see the proper oil pressure and thus it doesn't activate VTEC.

P0141: This says that your O2 sensor heater circuit is not working properly. It shouldn't effect anything on track and probably means you need a new O2 sensor.
Thanks for looking in and for addressing the engine codes. I'm going to see what I can do with the o.p. sensor and if nothing else I will replace it.
You drive all the way from Gulf Breeze to Memphis?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the cam gears against the timing gear make sure the timing is correct. Ive seen them start even off a tooth even tho they arent suppose to and be down on power. Id check all the sensors aka cams, crank, vtec solenoid
Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by crthomas1952
Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1465921244' post='23993102

Thanks for looking in and for addressing the engine codes. I'm going to see what I can do with the o.p. sensor and if nothing else I will replace it.
Yeah. It isn't a horrible drive. 7.5 hours. I do it because I like supporting NASA Mid South. I was at their first event and have been at most of their events since the region began. I got my TT, racing, and instructor license with them.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by crthomas1952' timestamp='1466025586' post='23994218
[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1465921244' post='23993102']

Yeah. It isn't a horrible drive. 7.5 hours. I do it because I like supporting NASA Mid South. I was at their first event and have been at most of their events since the region began. I got my TT, racing, and instructor license with them.
[/quote]
I can see it. I think very highly of the nasa mid-south guys too.
The more I read and think about it, the more I think you are right about the o.p. switch. I'm going to get into it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 6k rev limit, no vtec, P0113, P2647, P0141