S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS kicking on... Lightly braking 5-20mph

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS kicking on... Lightly braking 5-20mph

Ok, it feels like my passenger side abs is kicking on while the car comes to a stop. I bled the brakes today... Didn't fix it. I also cleaned all 4 sensors and that didn't fix it either. The abs light is not on, nor does it come on. I checked all mounting bolts for the calipers and they're torqued properly.

I can't figure this out. Found another thread on s2ki that seemed like a similar problem... They sanded down the area around the abs sensor to get it closer to the rotating portion of the hub... Mines pretty close. I know... "pretty close" isn't the best description... However, it appears to be the same distance as all the other sensors.

Could I maybe just have a bad passenger / front abs sensor?

Another idea I just had... Can I unplug each sensor one by one to see which wheel is actually having the "issue"? Or, will the abs system just freak out?

This is really ticking me off.

UPDATE** ABS on front right wheel is on all the time. I can get out of the car, and go feel it pumping on the front right wheel. WTF?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ///MIKE
Ok, it feels like my passenger side abs is kicking on while the car comes to a stop. I bled the brakes today... Didn't fix it. I also cleaned all 4 sensors and that didn't fix it either. The abs light is not on, nor does it come on. I checked all mounting bolts for the calipers and they're torqued properly.

I can't figure this out. Found another thread on s2ki that seemed like a similar problem... They sanded down the area around the abs sensor to get it closer to the rotating portion of the hub... Mines pretty close. I know... "pretty close" isn't the best description... However, it appears to be the same distance as all the other sensors.

Could I maybe just have a bad passenger / front abs sensor?
One of the sensors is on its way out . It just hasnt tripped an abs light yet .
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Is it necessarily the passenger side?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

One of the wheel speed sensors is sending an erratic signal. You'll need an oscilloscope or a very $$ scan tool to determine which one.

What suspension work was recently done?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
One of the wheel speed sensors is sending an erratic signal. You'll need an oscilloscope or a very $$ scan tool to determine which one.

What suspension work was recently done?
Nothing... Suspension has been the same for awhile now. Actually, just remembered I had a new alignment done. Added more front camber (2.9). Could that have something to do with it?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Former Moderator

If this started after suspension work or a tire was replaced it's probably related. If the sensor isn't mounted flush to the knuckles or corrosion on any of the tone rings can cause an erratic sensor signal. A tire that has unequal height can cause the same.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM

If this started after suspension work or a tire was replaced it's probably related. If the sensor isn't mounted flush to the knuckles or corrosion on any of the tone rings can cause an erratic sensor signal. A tire that has unequal height can cause the same.
I really appreciate your help. Here's the thing. All 4 wheels / tires are IDENTICAL. Same size, offset, and tires are brand spankin' new.

I'll double check the sensors to make sure they're seating properly.... This is so annoying.

Btw, on a cold start this morning, sloping kind-of down hill... the abs was going nuts while I was completely stopped. I don't understand that at all...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Former Moderator

Where tires just replaced? They may not really be identical sizes. does the car pull while driving at highway speeds?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Where tires just replaced? They may not really be identical sizes. does the car pull while driving at highway speeds?
Car does not pull. Tires are all new and are all the same size / same manufacturer. All the wheels are the same size / diameter.

Pulled sensor last night, sanded down cradle surface, and put it back in... seems to help a little bit. The abs was not as pronounced this morning during my commute. I'm bought a new sensor for the front passenger side... I'm going to try that when it comes in.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Former Moderator

You have someone local you can swap wheels speed sensors with? I've got Honda HDS that can graph wheel speeds but it's a little pricey for DIY use.

Quick Reply: ABS kicking on... Lightly braking 5-20mph