air blowing out of the oil fill hole - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Under The Hood
Reload this Page >

air blowing out of the oil fill hole

S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

air blowing out of the oil fill hole

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 PM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 271
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default air blowing out of the oil fill hole

is air blowing out of the oil fill hole while the car is running normal ? some people say its fine while others say its not , all three of my hondas (s2000,cx,vx) have air coming out the oil fill hole , one of my mechanics evan said i probably need a rebuild on my 1992 honda civic vx because of this ,

is this something i need to fix ? i did a leak down test and a compression test and lab scoped my crank and cams and every things is fine (s2000) ,i checked my friends 2016 corrolla and he has the same thing , how can air coming out of the oil hole be a sign of blow by when it seems all cars have it ?

i would also like to ad that my mechanic says the blow by is the cause of my oil leak on my brand new oil pan for the civic vx , is my mechanic just making excuses cause he cant seal my oil pan properly ? or is it really blow by causing my oil pan not to seal? the vx also has surging while coasting at high speeds in neutral
beefystud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 PM
  #2  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,220
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
Default

don't sweat it, every modern car has that phenomena. Some of it is blow-by, and every car has blow-by, hence the pcv system on all modern cars. Also the pistons rushing downwards create positive pressure in the crankcase which vents to the valvecover, opening the oil cap with the engine running allows the pressurized air to escape. Don't listen to dumb people. Rule #1.
zeroptzero is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:46 PM
  #3  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 271
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
don't sweat it, every modern car has that phenomena. Some of it is blow-by, and every car has blow-by, hence the pcv system on all modern cars. Also the pistons rushing downwards create positive pressure in the crankcase which vents to the valvecover, opening the oil cap with the engine running allows the pressurized air to escape. Don't listen to dumb people. Rule #1.
so what of the oil pan ? the civic vx is 27 years old and has 120,000 miles on it , could he be right about blow by causing my oil pan not to seal ? or is he just making excuses cause he doesnt want to sen back the oil pan and give me any more free labor ? is the surging while coasting in neutral a sign of blow by? why would he take the oil cap off the engine while its running and say " look theres air coming out your hole, theres blow by" when all cars do this ? doesnt he know i post on s2ki.com ?
beefystud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 PM
  #4  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,220
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
Default

A newly sealed oil pan won't leak due to blow-by as there is always relief for the excess pressure on the top end, the oil pan leaks because it was not installed properly or with inferior materials and practices. Make sure your pcv system and pcv valve is working properly as that is where blow-by gets relieved. I recall some older Hondas used a collection tank which opened to the lower block, which then branched off to the upper head, make sure that system is all in tact and working properly and not plugged if it exists on you Civic. Surging of the motor is not a sign of blow-by, it could be many items causing that including a vacuum leak. You could have a vacuum leak on the pcv system or throttle body , etc.
zeroptzero is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 AM
  #5  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 271
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
A newly sealed oil pan won't leak due to blow-by as there is always relief for the excess pressure on the top end, the oil pan leaks because it was not installed properly or with inferior materials and practices. Make sure your pcv system and pcv valve is working properly as that is where blow-by gets relieved. I recall some older Hondas used a collection tank which opened to the lower block, which then branched off to the upper head, make sure that system is all in tact and working properly and not plugged if it exists on you Civic. Surging of the motor is not a sign of blow-by, it could be many items causing that including a vacuum leak. You could have a vacuum leak on the pcv system or throttle body , etc.
he replaced both pcv valves and said the problem still isant fixed , he also mentioened the collection tank just as you have , he then told me my engine was tired and the blow by was causeing the leak do to bad collection tank , what should i say to him when i take it back on monday ?
beefystud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:25 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 958
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Zero is right.....

And you need a new mechanic.......
jetboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM
  #7  
Community Organizer
 
freq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in my garage
Posts: 20,333
Thanked 105 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
you need a new mechanic.......
x2
freq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM
  #8  
Registered User
 
rpg51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,821
Thanked 61 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I don't dump on a mechanic until I hear his/her side of the story. Its possible that the content and meaning of a mechanic's communications might be lost in the translation.
rpg51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM
  #9  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 271
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

i would also like to ad that i tried fixing the oil pan my self 3 times and it leaked on me all three times, i used a spectre oil pan i bought from o reilly auto, after failing i gave him the car , he first told me it was a bad oil pan that did not have flat edges , so they got me a new one from napa ( which was all so a spectre) the first time he installed it leaked , he took another shot at it and used silicone the second time and it still leaked
beefystud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 PM
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 271
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I don't dump on a mechanic until I hear his/her side of the story. Its possible that the content and meaning of a mechanic's communications might be lost in the translation.
hes saying the oil pan wont seal because of positive crank case presser which he thinks is a result of a tired engine
beefystud is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service