S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

air blowing out of the oil fill hole

Old 02-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by beefystud
i would also like to ad that i tried fixing the oil pan my self 3 times and it leaked on me all three times, i used a spectre oil pan i bought from o reilly auto, after failing i gave him the car , he first told me it was a bad oil pan that did not have flat edges , so they got me a new one from napa ( which was all so a spectre) the first time he installed it leaked , he took another shot at it and used silicone the second time and it still leaked
I would look into getting an OEM pan for the car, can be purchased used at a reasonable price. He used silicone? That right there is not good at all, Hondabond is the only sealant that should be used. Good luck with the repair.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oem oil pan for d15z1 is discontinued from honda

the oil pan uses a rubber gasket but it failed 4 times so the 5th time the mechanic thought to use silicone with the rubber gasket as a last resort

you guys are saying that positive crank case presser and blow buy wont make a oil pan gasket leak , but i googled all over the internet and most poeple say that not only can it make an oil pan leak , but valve cover gasket , v tec solenoid ect and other seals can leak because of pccp and blow by....
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by beefystud
oem oil pan for d15z1 is discontinued from honda

the oil pan uses a rubber gasket but it failed 4 times so the 5th time the mechanic thought to use silicone with the rubber gasket as a last resort

you guys are saying that positive crank case presser and blow buy wont make a oil pan gasket leak , but i googled all over the internet and most poeple say that not only can it make an oil pan leak , but valve cover gasket , v tec solenoid ect and other seals can leak because of pccp and blow by....
Yeah I wasn't sure if the Civic used a gasket or not, I will alter my previous reply.

Excess crankcase pressure can cause leaks, but usually when the pcv system is malfunctioning or blocked etc. , if the pcv system is working properly then it should not cause issues. You can have excess crankcase pressure without having excessive blow-by if the pcv system is not working as designed.

My main reply was that air blowing out of an open oil fill hole is not indicative of excess blow-by as your mechanic told you, as that happens on all modern vehicles , I could open the oil fill hole on my two new Hondas and they will do the same. so I am a bit skeptical about any mechanic that makes such a statement. I can't comment on the quality of work he performed on your oil pan or anything else he has told you. Do you have excessive smoke blowing out of the oil fill hole or just air pressure, that would be good to know as smoke could indicate an issue.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 02-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

the simple answer for this basic question, is that yes, some positive crankcase pressure can be normal. my s2000 also has positive crankcase pressure.

however, i believe bmw's (as far as the e46), due to their crankcase vent system, actually has negative crankcase pressure at idle.

i attribute this difference to the existence of a breather pipe on the s2000 that allows filtered air into the crankcase as the PCV valve is having air sucked out through the intake manifold vacuum; whereas the e46 doesn't have a line for filtered air into the crankcase.