S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

All your problems

Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default All your problems

Appeasing the impatient, anal retentive, compulsive/obsessive mind

We seem to be repeatedly inundated with these sorts of questions, so I'm starting a list, accompanied by a fairly generic answer.
I was going to save this post for a "rainy day" but another thread of late really got me PISSED and thought now would be a good time. It is highlighted as 1A.
Feel free to add to the numbered sequence as you see fit.

I've put an * next to the points that are of a more serious nature.

*1A. I had this problem with my car a while ago. Many people posted with answers and some of them even gave answers I didn't want to hear. I hate it when I can't get the RIGHT answer from everyone. Why can't you just tell me what's wrong with my car and tell me EXACTLY what I need to do to fix it?
-- We're doing the best we can under the circumstances. This is based on the fact that your description of your problem was shitty at best, we can't see your car, we can't hear your car, we can't drive your car and we don't even know if you are a FLAKE of some kind. But mostly, it's because noone has sent me enough money to buy my SUPER-DUPER, DELUXE CRYSTAL BALL. Once I get your money and can buy this top of the line diagnostic tool, you will get THE correct answer, the first time, every time.

*1. I have this hum or whistle in my intake, especially since I put on a CAI.
-- This is normal. The engine is drawing air through a system of filters and pipes. It WILL make some sort of noise. If you change the intake in some way, this sound will most likely be amplified. Your car has NO problem just because it has this noise. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

*2. I revved the car up past redline and it felt like the engine hit a wall and shut off. Did I cause damage from this over-rev? HELP!
-- You did NOT over-rev the engine. You simply engaged the rev-limiter to PREVENT you from revving it beyond the safe zone. You obviously do NOT understand what an "OVER-REV" is. Please go find out. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

3. I have this "noise" someplace in the engine bay or under the car or at the back of the car or on the right side of the car or on the left side of the car or above and just behind me on the car. It sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a can.
-- You have a bunch of nuts and bolts in a can. What? You actually think with that kind of description, you can get guys over the internet to tell you exactly what's going on with your car? Send me 50 bucks so I can buy a crystal ball and I'll get back to you.

*4. When I've been driving around a while and come to a red light or stop sign, the engine rpm drops to almost nothing, nearly dies and then recovers. Have I done something to damage the car?
-- It's just the particular set of environmental and driving circumstances at the time whereby your car's ECU is having a tough time holding the idle. It is most likely short lived if you don't try to "help" it. It will eventually learn after a few episodes and "help" itself. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

*5. Lately, when I first start the car in the morning, it will fire, rev up and then die. On the second start, it will be as normal. What's wrong with my car? BTW, it's turned quite cool around here lately.
-- The answer is similar to that given in #4. The ECU is having a tough time dealing with the change in climatic conditions. Don't help it. It will figure it out on its own. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

6. I'm just about to put money down on a new S2000. What color should I get?
-- Please find a spine. You really want a bunch of strangers over the internet to tell you what color of $30K thing to buy? Send me 50 bucks and I will buy another crystal ball so I can tell you what color shirt to wear tomorrow.

*7. I sometimes hear this "CCCCRack" sound when I first move off in the morning. What's wrong with my car? HELP!
-- It is your brake pads rusting up against your rotor. When you first move the car, this rust brakes free and makes this sound. Did you just wash the car the night before? Is it really humid lately where you live? Next time you wash your car, don't park it using the ebrake. Just leave it in gear and the sound won't be nearly as bad. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

*8. My headlights seem to be out of adjustment. One side is higher than the other. They don't look even. How do I fix this? BTW, the car is brand new.
-- That's the way it's supposed to be. Our HIDs have a "notch" in the pattern so they don't blind oncoming traffic too much. If you "even them out", they WILL be out of alignment. They are not broken, so DON'T fix them. If in doubt, read the owner's manual. It will tell you what they are supposed to look like and how to adjust them. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

*9. I got a CEL recently. I clear it and it keeps coming back. What's wrong with my car?
-- Find out what the "code" is for that CEL. The car is trying to tell you something. Why are you ignoring it? The car has dozens and dozens of sensors on it. Send me 50 bucks and I will buy one more crystal ball and I'll get back to you.

*10. My car vears to the right when I let go of the steering wheel or when I accelerate or when I decelerate. What can the matter be?
-- CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES! Let us know if you discover one or more of them is under-inflated.
ps. It's not a good thing to have owned this car for 12 months and have never check your tire pressures.

*11. I have the "occasional" grind going into (type a number here). What's wrong with my car? Have I caused permanent damage to my car?
-- Chances are, NOTHING is wrong with your car. Chances are, it was driver error. Go practice some more. If you grind all the time, then maybe you should look into it further. It could be old fluid in the tranny or the clutch, bad clutch adjustment, bad syncros.

*12. I can't seem to easily engage 1st or reverse from a stand-still, especially when it's cold outside. Should I take it back to the dealer?
-- The ratio of 1st and reverse is very low (numerically high). It doesn't like being rammed into when the tranny is spinning around. You need to stop the tranny from spinning BEFORE you try to engage those gears. If you are sitting idling in neutral, push the clutch to the floor and either wait 3 to 4 seconds before engaging those gears OR, immediately select 2nd or 4th (or any other forward gear for that matter), then immediately go for 1st or reverse. This is just the physics of a closed gated 6 speed manual tranny. It is NOT broken unless you did something you're NOT telling us about.

*13. My oil is BLACK and I only changed it a thousand miles ago. What's wrong with my engine? Should I change my oil now?
-- You will always have a little old oil in the engine after an oil change. A little old, black oil with 5 qts of new clean oil will get you 5 qts of black oil in very short order. Oil is supposed to get black inside an engine. This is how you can tell it's doing its job. If it were clean, where is all the products of combustion going? You don't want those stuck on the engine parts. You WANT them to go into the oil.

*14. When I start off for the first time in the day, my car seems to hit a brick wall. I can't seem to get past about 6000 rpm. What's wrong with my car? HELP! I am freaked out.
-- You hit the COLD rev-limiter. Honda built this into the car so people like you don't wreck their engines. Why are you trying to make a high performance engine go to redline before the oil and water warms up anyway? You wouldn't like it much if someone kicked you out of a deep sleep and made you run full tilt around the block, would you?

15. What's this SECRET compartment everyone is talking about?
-- If I told you, it wouldn't be SECRET anymore, would it?

16. I just bought this car and it was time to fuel up. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL DOOR RELEASE! HELP!
-- Read the OWNER'S MANUAL! Oops, it's probably in the SECRET compartment. Nevermind, call the Fire dept. and ask them to bring the "Jaws of Life".
OK, open the driver's door and look on the vertical part of the rear jam. There's a little black button that you pull.

17. I happened to check my oil level today for the first time and I could not see any oil on the dipstick.
ps. I've had the car for about 5000 miles now. It can't possibly use this much oil in 5000 miles. Do I have a bad motor or a leak?
-- You've owned a car for 5000 miles and have NEVER checked the oil? I'm sorry, but you are beyond help. I'd tell ya to read the OWNER's Manual, but then, it's in the SECRET compartment.

*18. I just bought my brand new S2000. LOVE IT! I've put on about 1000 miles, the last 500 or so, I've been going VTEC crazy. LOVE IT! Now my oil level is getting dangerously close to the "add" mark. What should I do? What kind of oil should I use to top off or should I just go in for an oil change?
-- I'd tell ya to read the OWNER's Manual, but then, it's in the SECRET compartment.
(It takes 10W30 if in N. America and use a name brand non-synthetic for now.)

*19. When I decelerate past about 4500 rpm, there is this rattling sound. It's awful and embarassing. What's wrong with my car?
-- NOTHING! It's the well known "clutch deceleration buzz". Honda has a TSB on this for the earlier model year cars, but even the newer models can produce this buzz. It's just a noise and doesn't mechanical affect the car in a bad way. It will NOT blow up because of it. You have caused it NO damage.

20. I want to get 18" rims. Will I rub?
-- Let's see, you haven't told us what width you're getting, what offset you're getting or what size and aspect ratio of tire you're getting. Since 3 other guys will be sending me 50 bucks for a crystal ball, this one's a freebie. I'll get back to ya!

NEXT!!!!
OK, I've opened this up briefly just to add a few of the suggestions by other posters that followed since this thread started:

21. Which supercharger should I buy...Vortech or Comptech? Which one do you guys think is better???
-- "Better" for what? What counts to you? After the sale customer service? Initial cost of entry? Does one name give you a bigger woody than the other? How do you like your oil return? Under the oil level or above the oil level? Do your homework. What's "better" for me may not be "better" for you.

22. Do you guys think 2005 will be the last year for the S2K???
-- Of course it was. Because the regional manager for Honda USA said so. Or at least his brother-in-law at the local dealership who's the sales manager did. Of course, his 3 sons are also car salesmen and they need to make the next mortgage payment. All model years since, that are rolling around on the streets are figments of your imagination. Those same salesmen will simply tell you that they are really well kept examples of earlier models that have been slightly modified by their owners.

23. So which model is better, the 00-03 or 04+?
-- Newer are ALWAYS better .................. unless you talk to a guy with an older one.

*24. I'd like to get 18" or maybe even 19" wheels. Will these fit and how will it affect my speedo?
-- First, it's NOT the size of your wheels. It's the size of your tires that you put on your wheels. If you get the aspect ratio of tire that will keep the overall diameter the same, your speedo is NOT affected. Second, without stating the offset, width, the lug pattern and the tire size you intend to put on those wheels, HOW IN THE HELL WOULD I KNOW? Send me another 50 bucks for a "wheel/tire" crystal ball and I'll get back to ya.

25. Which intake is the best?
-- What kind of straw do you like to drink through? One with a bend to the right or a bend to the left? Do you like the pretty pink one or the pretty blue one?
Again, what's "best" for me is not the "best" for you.

26. How much hp can I gain gain from (insert name) exhaust?
-- 16 gagillion Horsefly Power. Get one for the sound. The stock one works pretty good but is heavy.

27. "I have a MY2004, WHITE and the engine is making this odd studdering when I come to a light. What can this be?"
-- Let me ask you: What does the COLOR of your car have to do with a mechanical issue with it?
It's NOT necessary to tell us the color of your car when you have a mechanical issue!

28. #32 "I'm thinking of buying a new car and have it narrowed down to either an Excursion or an S2000. Can you convince me that I should get the Honda?"
-- Hell no, get the Excursion. Put some 24" spinners on it, about 3000 lbs of batteries, amps and subwoofers, and drive it like you own the road. Hopefully you'll roll it on the way to the video store and we won't have to hear any of your dumb-a$$ questions anymore.

29. "Dear Mr. Xviper, I just had my car shipped to me and think it's super-pretty. I really like the silver color, it's really sparkly. Just one problem, ummm, how do I start it? I keep turning the key and nothing happens. Is it me? Will I blow up the car? Did I cause some damage? I heard you have a crystal ball, do you think it'll have the answer?"

The above question was penned by a lady who happened to enjoy this thread in the spirit that it was written, so my answer will continue to reflect this philosophy.

Answer:
I have consulted with both my crystal balls and they seem to give conflicting answers. While the one is telling me that you are having a lifetime of blond moments and there is no hope. Get rid of this car and go back to your Hyundai Accent. The other one is saying:
Get your boyfriend to show you. I'm sure he's well versed in pushing your buttons.

*30. I went to check my oil level yesterday. The dipstick was down to the the last "X". Since there are 4 "X's" to the "H" mark, I put in 4 qts. of oil. Now, the oil level is really above the full mark. What's going on?
-- This car takes anywhere from about 5.0 qts. to just under 6.0 qts in TOTAL. Each "X" on the dipstick represents 1/5th of a qt. IE, from the bottom of the stick ("add" mark) to the top of the "X's" ("H" or full mark), is ONE QUART. Although many people like to keep their oil level right at the "H" mark, the engine is designed to run perfectly well with an oil level anywhere within the "X's".
To check your oil, here are some hints:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=3285584

*31. I seem to be rounding off the heads of the bolts when I try to take them out (eg, engine drain bolt, tranny fill and drain bolts, rear diff bolts, etc.).
-- Many of the bolts on this car required a sharp "snap" to get them started. They easily get stuck onto the surface they are holding from some sort of metal to metal adhesion (Galvanic corrosion/adhesion). Turning them gradually will only stress the corners of the heads and round them off. Center the tool over the bolt head and have it grab the bolt head to maximal depth and give it a sharp yank or hit the end of the wrench with a rubber mallet.

32. (Question found posted in "S2000 Talk")
I'd like to hear from people who have over 100,000 miles on there S2000s and if it has been reliable for you.
(Some answers):
-I have an old Chrysler K car that has 175,000 miles on it. I'm hoping my S will go that long.
-I just turned 34,582 miles on mine. It's great fun.

-- READ THE BLOODY TITLE. Who gives a flying crap what your K car did and how is telling that you've just put on 52.6 miles on the car driving it home from the dealership today, has anything to do with the BLOODY question asked?

33. Will these rims fit? Yes, I've read the Wheel Fitment Guide stickied at the top of the Wheel/Tire forum, but WILL THESE RIMS FIT?
-- Someone went to extensive effort to compose that guide. All it takes is for you to go READ IT and do a little arithmetic to figure out for yourself if your rims will fit. That's what I would have to do to figure out if your rims will fit, so why should I go to the effort when you won't do it for your own needs? Now, if you are too confused or you fell asleep during math class, then say so. I'll help those who are confused or who tell the truth - not someone who is just plain lazy or admits he doesn't quite have the ability to figure it out for himself.

34. Can I park my S2000 out in the rain? It's completely stock and I have the top up.
-- NO! You CANNOT park this car in the rain. It will shrink when it gets wet and the tires will wrinkle up like little prunes.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD WORK ! mr. X Im still LOL.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:47 PM

hahhah i loved #15 and the next few after that poooooooooo hahhahahahaha

15. What's this SECRET compartment everyone is talking about?
-- If I told you, it wouldn't be SECRET anymore, would it? rolleyes.gif
Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 PM

EXCELLENT work!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:42 PM

So XViper, where do I send the $50 to?

I want to purchase this Crystal ball for you!!

Old 02-16-2005, 01:46 PM
cjl

For as embarrassing as this is, the answer for #18 applies to me. I bought mine used, and just assumed it didn't come with a manual. I didn't find the SC until reading on s2ki about it. I opened it up and all my questions were answered.

Great post x. You deserve (and need) a after that.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Very good topic. I especially loved # 16. I just bought this car and it was time to fuel up. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL DOOR RELEASE! HELP!
-- Read the OWNER'S MANUAL! Oops, it's probably in the SECRET compartment. Nevermind, call the Fire dept. and ask them to bring the "Jaws of Life".
OK, open the driver's door and look on the vertical part of the rear jam. There's a little black button that you pull.
The funny thing is that you know most of us did this when we first got it. I looked all over for it while my buddy was looking in the manual for it.
Bryan
Old 02-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Very nice!! Answered a lot of my question too.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cragspider' date='Feb 16 2005, 04:59 PM
Very good topic. I especially loved # 16. I just bought this car and it was time to fuel up. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL DOOR RELEASE! HELP!
<snip>
The funny thing is that you know most of us did this when we first got it. I looked all over for it while my buddy was looking in the manual for it.
Bryan
Not me! Then again, I spent 2.5 years on this forum before I bought my S. God, I love this place!

Hi Xviper,

Things not going well at work lately? If so, I understand. We're having "management" issues lately too but we're working on it. I hope you feel better!

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm guilty of #10. I picked up a nail somewhere and the tire went down overnight. The only problem is, those short sidewalls are stiff enough that it wasn't that obvious, visually. I'm usually pretty good about checking tire pressures so I'm embarrassed about this one. I've learned my lesson though!

The only part I'll respectfully disagree with you on however, is #13. I went over 5000 miles on the original oil (at the dealers prompting, I didn't want to) and it was only a dark amber color when I got it changed. Since then, I change my oil at approximately 3300 mile intervals and it's always amber colored, never anywhere near "black." The new oil is a nice clear yellow gold.

What are these folks doing, or "not" doing as the case may be, to their S2000's that the oil is turning black?

I enjoyed your post though!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 16 2005, 03:24 PM
Send me 50 bucks and I will buy another crystal ball so I can tell you what color shirt to wear tomorrow.
HAHAHAAH.

Quick Reply: All your problems