S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another “knock” thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another “knock” thread

Ok so here it goes, I have this light knock or tap sound at a warm idle only. The sound does not get louder or increase with revs, it actually disappears as soon as you touch the throttle. I can actually hear it more from the cabin then under the hood. Car has brand new TCT, brand new AP2 retainers, fresh Amsoil oil change, new plugs, fresh valve adjustment, new valve cover and PCV.

Why would this only do it on a warm motor? Mainly after a long drive is when you can hear more, did a compression test and got 240 across all 4 cylinders. Car pulls hard all the way to 9k, VTEC solenoid is spotless with no metal shavings. I know rod bearing will usually follow revs and get louder. I’ve tried uploading a video but it keeps failing. It’s hard to hear it under the hood...I can but very hard to. I’ve seen similar threads with no real answer. Car has not been over reved by me and never ran low on oil. The old retainers were in perfect shape with no cracks. Opinions would be great.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Egebrecht
Ok so here it goes, I have this light knock or tap sound at a warm idle only. The sound does not get louder or increase with revs, it actually disappears as soon as you touch the throttle. I can actually hear it more from the cabin then under the hood. Car has brand new TCT, brand new AP2 retainers, fresh Amsoil oil change, new plugs, fresh valve adjustment, new valve cover and PCV.

Why would this only do it on a warm motor? Mainly after a long drive is when you can hear more, did a compression test and got 240 across all 4 cylinders. Car pulls hard all the way to 9k, VTEC solenoid is spotless with no metal shavings. I know rod bearing will usually follow revs and get louder. I’ve tried uploading a video but it keeps failing. It’s hard to hear it under the hood...I can but very hard to. I’ve seen similar threads with no real answer. Car has not been over reved by me and never ran low on oil. The old retainers were in perfect shape with no cracks. Opinions would be great.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Take your serpentine belt off, does it go away? Probably the tensioner, mine makes some noise too.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your description sounds exactly like bad TCT behaviour. The video also sounds like TCT to me, but it's a bit different than mine was

What TCT did you buy and from where?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Brand new OEM from Honda. I have not tried removing the belt yet, that’s next on the list. I have put a screwdriver up to the pulleys and don’t really hear anything...other than what sounds like something rubbing. I’m just trying to make sure it’s not rod knock!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Check if the sound thats annoying you is coming from your EVAP purge control solenoid valve. If it is, nothing to worry about.
That valve only makes a sound at warm idle, goes away when revving, and seems louder inside the cabin.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras
Check if the sound thats annoying you is coming from your EVAP purge control solenoid valve. If it is, nothing to worry about.
That valve only makes a sound at warm idle, goes away when revving, and seems louder inside the cabin.
Where is it located? Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

At the corner of the intake box with vacuum lines attached.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Do you guy’s here any rod knock? Just got off the freeway from a 45 minute commute and as soon as it drops down to a low idle you can hear it. As soon as you take off the noise is gone.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I relocated mine so cant tell for sure, somebody else will have to help you with that.
But its inline with the hose connecting your intake manifold to the fuel vent hardline.
It is NOT located on the corner of the intake box what Soviet said, thats the bypass control solenoid valve.

Quick Reply: Another “knock” thread