S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another “knock” thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So mine is making that same noise after i adjusted my valves, but mine only happens for a few seconds then goes away and comes back. Mine also only happens when the engine is warm, and its at its regular idle RPM.

SEE MY THREAD WITH VIDEO Valve Noise after Adjustment

As for mine i have done all the things you have mentioned except the New TCT.

I will be following and hopefully we can get both of our cars figured out!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d love to figure it out because it’s so annoying! I’m constantly waiting for the day it gets worse or ends up being a rod bearing. I’m on the fence about it because I’m pretty sure rod knock is louder and gets louder with revs...not to mention this has been going on for months and hasn’t gotten worse and I drive the car hard from time to time.

Next on the list is pulling the drive belt or I may just go ahead and replace the pulleys as preventative maintenance. Your car does sound like mine just not constant, some days it’s not there and other days it is.
I mainly notice it after a long drive down the freeway.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

If you have any inclination that its a rod bearing(or any bearing) you should take the oil filter off and cut it open. You'll know as soon as you look at the filter if any bearing is going south. If you find nothing in the filter then you can put that to rest and look elsewhere. No need to change the oil, just put a new filter on and top off with fresh oil.

ROD
Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Its the timing chain tensioner. Because the sound is only on a warm engine. The oem tensioner is does not put enough pressure on the chain. It does not matter thats its new. Your chain is old and can strech over time. You need an after market tct with a stronger spring in it like the ballade one or the inline pro or the bill man one.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
If you have any inclination that its a rod bearing(or any bearing) you should take the oil filter off and cut it open. You'll know as soon as you look at the filter if any bearing is going south. If you find nothing in the filter then you can put that to rest and look elsewhere. No need to change the oil, just put a new filter on and top off with fresh oil.

ROD
I may do that, does it sound like anything to worry about to you? I posted this on the S2k talk and tech FB page and they said they didn’t hear anything out the ordinary. But wanted thoughts for you guys as well.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
Its the timing chain tensioner. Because the sound is only on a warm engine. The oem tensioner is does not put enough pressure on the chain. It does not matter thats its new. Your chain is old and can strech over time. You need an after market tct with a stronger spring in it like the ballade one or the inline pro or the bill man one.
Very interesting observation. I was wondering if it could be caused by chain stretch as I've been seeing more posts about chain stretch recently. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't make much of a difference to fix this or not considering the chain stretches so little.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Very interesting observation. I was wondering if it could be caused by chain stretch as I've been seeing more posts about chain stretch recently. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't make much of a difference to fix this or not considering the chain stretches so little.
I was wondering the same as well! Damn that sucks if so cause I just had that tensioner put in 2 weeks ago. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Ballade putting to much tension? Is this true?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Egebrecht

I was wondering the same as well! Damn that sucks if so cause I just had that tensioner put in 2 weeks ago. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Ballade putting to much tension? Is this true?
There have been multiple people that have had issues with the Ballade TCT putting too much tension on the chain but it is not clear if it is installer error or not. Unfortunately, I just sold my used Billman TCT unit so a fellow in Canada. I personally choose to support Billman for all that he's done but understandbly buying a TCT through him is not as simple as it is for other companies.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 PM

Well I’ll gladly support him. I’ll shoot him a PM, I would love if that fixed it! I’m still thinking not rod knock.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 PM

Well I’ll gladly support him. I’ll shoot him a PM, I would love if that fixed it! I’m still thinking not rod knock.
imho it is definitely not rod knock. Rod knock is loud and has a seemingly non deterministic pattern. As you mentioned it does not disappear when RPMs increase.

Quick Reply: Another “knock” thread