S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone with a C's short shifter please help

Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with a C's short shifter please help

Im trying to install my shifter but have no idea where this piece goes. In the picture below its the little round piece shown that inside the bigger round piece

http://www.bestshortshifter.com/merchant/i.../02/01/P/01.jpg

Guide me on where that is suppose to fit...
Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How To - it may or may not help. <- first result from a Google search.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya that one didnt help me I found it before....but I got everything installed and the shifter is def a lot shorter throw.

sits about the same as stock, but going to have to get use to how short the throw is.

bte the little round piece just drops into the hole where the sifter sits. the spring actually sits on top of it.

thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It goes in first. It is the spacer to move the plastic cradle (that you transferred from the OEM shifter to the new shifter) up. Since the pivot point on the new shifter is higher, the spacer is required. You will notice that it fits nicely into the hole left when you pull the shifter out.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you like it?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Sounds like you got it. I'd have to look back at my instructions but I think that's exactly right.

Hope you used lots of grease on everything....It makes a big difference.

I also noticed that the shifter seems to become somewhat less mechanical feeling...a little smoother...with some use. Also don't be surprised if you can twist the upper part of the lever. The bushing inside that fat part of the lever is not bonded to the steel shank it is mounted on. At least it isn't on mine. No big deal.

As for the quality of the C's...I really like mine. Had a chance to compare it to the Axial Flow short shifter while at DBR07. The Axial Flow lever is a little shorter so the knob is further from the steering wheel...but the throw of the two shifters is about the same. The Axial Flow is more direct feeling...more mechanical. Some might describe the feel as a little more "notchy". Many Axial Flow users report buzzing at certain RPMs...Axial Flow has come out with improvements and fixes for this but they are not always effective. And this may not be a problem for some drivers who can't hear the buzzing over their exhaust or ice. But I have never heard of a C's buzzing, probably because it uses the bushing within the lever like the OEM design. All in all I liked the Axial Flow a lot, though. I would love to be able to swap out between a C's and an Axial Flow every couple weeks just for the change of pace.

Not sure the C's is worth the extra hundred $ for me but I don't regret getting one. I've always wanted one and I do prefer its smoother engagement and the stock height of the shift knob vs. the Axial Flow. Combined with an aluminum Voodoo knob from Rick's, either is a fantastic setup.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tof,Oct 23 2007, 08:20 AM
Sounds like you got it. I'd have to look back at my instructions but I think that's exactly right.

Hope you used lots of grease on everything....It makes a big difference.

I also noticed that the shifter seems to become somewhat less mechanical feeling...a little smoother...with some use. Also don't be surprised if you can twist the upper part of the lever. The bushing inside that fat part of the lever is not bonded to the steel shank it is mounted on. At least it isn't on mine. No big deal.

As for the quality of the C's...I really like mine. Had a chance to compare it to the Axial Flow short shifter while at DBR07. The Axial Flow lever is a little shorter so the knob is further from the steering wheel...but the throw of the two shifters is about the same. The Axial Flow is more direct feeling...more mechanical. Some might describe the feel as a little more "notchy". Many Axial Flow users report buzzing at certain RPMs...Axial Flow has come out with improvements and fixes for this but they are not always effective. And this may not be a problem for some drivers who can't hear the buzzing over their exhaust or ice. But I have never heard of a C's buzzing, probably because it uses the bushing within the lever like the OEM design. All in all I liked the Axial Flow a lot, though. I would love to be able to swap out between a C's and an Axial Flow every couple weeks just for the change of pace.

Not sure the C's is worth the extra hundred $ for me but I don't regret getting one. I've always wanted one and I do prefer its smoother engagement and the stock height of the shift knob vs. the Axial Flow. Combined with an aluminum Voodoo knob from Rick's, either is a fantastic setup.
Mine came loose also. I believe it was bonded poorly from the factory. I just pulled it out and re-bonded it with epoxy. (I have a shift pattern on my Voodoo knob and didn't like it turning)