S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 - 2nd and 3rd "feels" stuck/glued in gear when disengaging

Old 02-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't even think its a downshift issue

​​​​​​my rev matching is superb. lol, but I do forget to downshift or pull it out of gear every once in a while when slowing down. And then it feels stuck in the low end. Like I said, I just give it a little gas before/as I clutch, and the tension on the gear frees and it slides right out.

​​​​​​Its mostly in third I forget being blissful driving, slowing down, oh shoot 1800rpm, forgot to down shift or neutral, clutch in and the gear wants to stay/feels stuck. so instead I act like im going to do a rev match down shift, but its just to release tension on the gear teeth to go-to neutral. Im typically under 10-15mph when this happens too. So just clutching and completing the stop, the gear pulls lut just fine too.

Anyway.. I think its just the nature of the transmission, It could be wear too, but the trans otherwise feels super clean in all shifting action, no sounds, and I noticed the same on multiple cars letting them wind down in low rpms. If it is wear, its probably ridges caused from backlash gear chatter.

(+_+)

Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Okay, straying a bit off-course here...

Does this difficulty in shifting occur more on down-shifting or up-shifting? Or equal problems with both?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
So far, the "trying to disengage a sticky" 2nd/3rd occurrence is equal for both upshifts and downshifts. Do you have a similar experience too?
It does happen to me as well, just like Deckoz mentioned: engine braking when coming to a red light trying to shift into neutral at low rpm.

I've never experienced a sticking gear when accelerating/up-shifting.

68k miles on the car - 11.2k miles on Honda MTF
Old 02-20-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Okay, straying a bit off-course here...

Does this difficulty in shifting occur more on down-shifting or up-shifting? Or equal problems with both?

Thanks!
Im guessing Say Lo will say the same as the above poster and myself, it really is limited to low rpm disengagement. Upshifting or rematch downshifting exibits no notchyness or trouble rowing gears. No sticky clutch or other symptoms, like noises etc.

I'd consider it normal, and just be less forgetful (is what i tell myself)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Im guessing Say Lo will say the same as the above poster and myself, it really is limited to low rpm disengagement. Upshifting or rematch downshifting exibits no notchyness or trouble rowing gears. No sticky clutch or other symptoms, like noises etc.

Okay. In my experience, it seems to require a healthier throttle blip to downshift at speed, in my S2000. Higher RPMs than other cars, to get a smooth downshift engagement. I need to look at the tach, the next time I do this. I usually always double-clutch on downshifts. Rev in neutral with clutch pedal disengaged. Heel-&-toe thing. FWIW.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Okay. In my experience, it seems to require a healthier throttle blip to downshift at speed, in my S2000. Higher RPMs than other cars, to get a smooth downshift engagement. I need to look at the tach, the next time I do this. I usually always double-clutch on downshifts. Rev in neutral with clutch pedal disengaged. Heel-&-toe thing. FWIW.

​​​​​​go out and just get into 3rd, at about 5-6k rpm, then brake while still in gear, like you forgot to downshift or clutch. and let the car slows and rpms drop to around 1800. then clutch to pull to neutral. it will likely feel "stuck"
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

​​​​​​go out and just get into 3rd, at about 5-6k rpm, then brake while still in gear, like you forgot to downshift or clutch. and let the car slows and rpms drop to around 1800. then clutch to pull to neutral. it will likely feel "stuck"
I've experienced zero issues or "sticky gear" occurrence when I'm higher RPM (4k or higher for me).

All the "stickiness" tends to happen in the following scenarios:
- Coasting down to a stop in 3rd or 2nd, then putting it into neutral at about 5 or 10mph. Naturally, engine speed then would be low (1800rpm or lower) and it would feel "stuck" getting out of the gear.
- Coasting down the street in 3rd or 2nd, or in traffic, having the engine hover at ~2,000rpm for a while. If I were to disengage the gear, it would feel "stuck".

Also, I just want to say that when I say "stuck", I'm not muscling the shifter. It just takes a bit more nudge to move the shifter. I have a similar experience in my 2009 Mazdaspeed 3, but it's far less frequent in that car. So I just wanted to know if this is a normal thing for the S2000 as I know these transmissions, while being fantastic, are finicky.

Thanks!