S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold

Old 08-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineFD
I had a wot shifting notchiness problem with a s2k I bought, turned out the prev. owner installed flywheel wasn't stepped correctly.
after replacing it with a complete Exedy hyper single clutch kit (flywheel and clutch comes in a package, so no way anyone can f it up.), it was fixed.
I thought about this. My oem flywheel was resurfaced to a step of 0.065 the spec of a AP2 flywheel is 0.065 +- 0.005 When I found another transmission, the guy did have a complete clutch set including a AP2 resurfaced flywheel with a step of 0.059 and a Exedy disc and PP. Hard to tell what is actually wrong... brought my ACT PP to a local clutch rebuilder who has a machine that can test pressure plates and he said it released perfectly. Disc is 0.321" which is right in the spec too.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:13 AM

Randomly, when the car has been sitting for a while and the weather is hot, lets say 25 celcius +, it shifts without any concern... Then I get back home, take a lunch, leave 2 hours later and suddenly its getting notchy as hell without any damn reason... It do feel like the clutch stays a little engaged but its so hard to tell ... I lift it on my lift, have a run on 3rd gear, look at the rear wheels door open, press the clutch and I see the wheels stop... How can I be 100% sure it disengages...
Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Ive run 4 different trans in this car both ap1 and ap2, and all of them felt notchy to varying degrees and would be quite dynamic fluctuating the notchiness degree on any given day. The smoothest trans I have run is my current ap1 which has a heavy weighted skunk2 shift knob and that seems to be the magic missing piece making the difference. All you can do is make sure your getting the master cylinder adjustment for max disengagement - even remove the floor bump stop if needed) and a weighted shift nob makes the shifts like butter compared to stock.
Yesterday I sold the used tranny and clutch kit to another s2ki member and I installed it on his S. Well, the notchiness I felt from it when it was on my car was not present ! He had a heavy skunk2 shift knob, so I decided to swap me carbon cheap knob with his to see if my tranny would be smoother. Damn yes it is ! Thats really weird for a such small piece... I tried my knob on his tranny and it felt more crunchy when engaging gears but never as noticeable as when this tranny was on my car....

I will definitly buy a heavy knob but I fear I might hide a problem that might increase over time and cost me more...

my other question is, I measured my crank endplay, but with the tranny attached. Might the measure be biased as the flywheel is connected right against the tranny by the pilot bearing facing on the input shaft ? If I push my crank backwards, it would then push the inputshaft and might stop by the endplay measure of the tranny and maybe not completly of my crank ?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by thonyz
Yesterday I sold the used tranny and clutch kit to another s2ki member and I installed it on his S. Well, the notchiness I felt from it when it was on my car was not present ! He had a heavy skunk2 shift knob, so I decided to swap me carbon cheap knob with his to see if my tranny would be smoother. Damn yes it is ! Thats really weird for a such small piece... I tried my knob on his tranny and it felt more crunchy when engaging gears but never as noticeable as when this tranny was on my car....

I will definitly buy a heavy knob but I fear I might hide a problem that might increase over time and cost me more...
I know! It kind of defies logic when you think about it. I went through a similar thing when buying another s2k. It had the weighted skunk2 knob on it, but didn't pay attention to that until I investigated why this trans felt so smooth compared to all the others ive run in my previous S, and when I put my stock and also my recessed knob back on to test, it became very apparent what the culprit was!

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-26-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep in mind, a countersunk knob will increase your gear shifting speed, which may contribute to the problem. I have heard it called 'beating the synchros' from what I have read on this site, but mainly seems to be a high rpm thing. I find it hard to believe after everything you tried, that your problem all along was the knob. I am running a lighter than oem, CR knob and have not encountered this problem
Old 08-26-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Keep in mind, a countersunk knob will increase your gear shifting speed, which may contribute to the problem. I have heard it called 'beating the synchros' from what I have read on this site, but mainly seems to be a high rpm thing. I find it hard to believe after everything you tried, that your problem all along was the knob. I am running a lighter than oem, CR knob and have not encountered this problem
Well I did not say this was my problem. I said I saw a huge difference in feeling the notchiness/crunchiness of the gear engagement. I do ask myself if there is still something I can do to fix something that does this crappy feeling from the shifts, but I dont know where to look at now...

Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I had a similar issue with a S2000 that I got with 51,000 miles. It had a notchy feeling and I had trouble engaging 4th gear sometimes even with a NSX Type R shift knob(270 grams). I changed the fluid to Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 and it fixed the problem for a short time. I changed the fluid again(same Amsoil fluid installed) after about 75 miles using all the gears and the problem went away. It's still a little notchy, but I have a brand new moddiction short shifter(WPC treated) and Car Garage amis Metal Shift Collar(WPC treated) and this should help eliminate the old plastic shifter parts.

I see you changed the fluid a few times already, but I would suggest going back to Royal purple or Amsoil. Another thing you should do, based on your mileage is change the Seat, Change Lever Ball - Honda (54110-S2A-003) and Cover, Pivot - Honda (54111-S2A-003) and also inspect the shift lever housing for wear marks and sand them smooth.

Puddymod should be able to help you too: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/members/s2kpuddydad-36094/

Some videos that helped me:
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In case you want to try another diff. oil, I'd recommended you Castrol FE 75
Old 08-28-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarvis
In case you want to try another diff. oil, I'd recommended you Castrol FE 75
I hope you meant transmission, because that one^ should definitely not be used in the differential.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
I had a similar issue with a S2000 that I got with 51,000 miles. It had a notchy feeling and I had trouble engaging 4th gear sometimes even with a NSX Type R shift knob(270 grams). I changed the fluid to Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 and it fixed the problem for a short time. I changed the fluid again(same Amsoil fluid installed) after about 75 miles using all the gears and the problem went away. It's still a little notchy, but I have a brand new moddiction short shifter(WPC treated) and Car Garage amis Metal Shift Collar(WPC treated) and this should help eliminate the old plastic shifter parts.

I see you changed the fluid a few times already, but I would suggest going back to Royal purple or Amsoil. Another thing you should do, based on your mileage is change the Seat, Change Lever Ball - Honda (54110-S2A-003) and Cover, Pivot - Honda (54111-S2A-003) and also inspect the shift lever housing for wear marks and sand them smooth.

Puddymod should be able to help you too: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/members/s2kpuddydad-36094/

Some videos that helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DY_vidZaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mymxN5U2SF4
Those has been done too. Ive done all I could found related to ever thread on s2ki relating to notchy transmissions... thanks for all the inputs though, much appreciated !

Quick Reply: AP2 Transmission Rebuilt, notchy gears when cold