S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Bad second gear? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/bad-second-gear-645246/)

tronvex 11-01-2008 11:09 PM

Bad second gear?

Lately I notice that my second gear is acting up. So far I know that I grind it three times already, since when I shift to second it won't lock in. Shifting into second gear is a little slower then the rest of the other gears, plus the rpm drop dramatically. Plus I would hear a clunk sound when it in gear, going to change the tranny fluid this weekend and differential fluid as well to see if it would help. Wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

learning03 11-02-2008 02:19 AM

I had same issue with second gear grind on my 03, changed the transmission fluid (old one was dark color but no shavings) to honda mtf, no more second gear grind. It is notchy when cold however but a few miles and shes butter smooth, so chances are its the fluid that has never been changed. Please report back and let us know if it was your transmission fluid.

skeithr 11-02-2008 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by learning03,Nov 2 2008, 03:19 AM
I had same issue with second gear grind on my 03, changed the transmission fluid (old one was dark color but no shavings) to honda mtf, no more second gear grind. It is notchy when cold however but a few miles and shes butter smooth, so chances are its the fluid that has never been changed. Please report back and let us know if it was your transmission fluid.

:iagree:

tronvex 11-02-2008 04:38 PM

I guess it happen to everyone as well. Well I'm just waiting for my Honda MTF fluid to come in and then we'll see what happen and I'll let you guys know.

tronvex 11-05-2008 09:12 AM

Well I order Password:JDM magnetic drain plug to collect any metal shaving on the next fluid change. The magnetic are pretty strong it can pick up a medium size adjustable wrench. For the price I highly recommend it but I haven't try Spoon, Skunk2, or J's racing but this will do. It a lot better then Pep boys brand that wont even pick up a small key.
So today I should be getting my Honda MTF and I'll do the tranny fluid change this weekend. Here are some pix of the magnetic plug
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture003.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...cture004-1.jpg

tronvex 11-08-2008 04:46 PM

Well just completed my oil change, tranny, and differential. She running like a brand new S2000. The shifting is a lot smoother then before, I don't even feel the gears any more when I shift. Plus the differential is a lot quieter on the freeway, no more cranking my stereo half way.
Overall the car run like new, it much quieter and response a lot better. I just have to bleed my clutch fluid and upgrade the line to a steel braided.

learning03 11-08-2008 10:28 PM

That's great news, so im assuming your 2nd gear grind is gone? While your at it why not change the brake fluid as well? Wait until you change your clutch fluid your going to see this dirt at the bottom of the reservoir.

tronvex 11-09-2008 09:30 AM

Yeah, 2nd gear grind have gone away and shifting have become more smother. I really want to wait on the brake fluid till I change my pads, but seeing how its discolor now like the clutch I might as well go for it. I think might just go for steel braided brake line for all the brake caliper.

Burt Reynolds 11-09-2008 05:20 PM

Same here, mine wouldn't sync 2nd very well so I tried just about every synth oil out there. Some made the trans smother but none could fix the 2nd gear sync issues until I went back to HMTF. HMTF is the best but it just doesn't last log, 5k miles. I guess I will just change it every 5k miles unless I hear of a better oil...

I have never tried LE MTF in my trans but I use thier LE 90W gear oil in my diff and love it. It gets changed every 5-10k miles. I know Hard Top Guy sells the LE MTF but I was told that oil is only for AP1s... Anyone try it on an AP2? I hear our syncros are not the same and AP2s should stick with HMTF? Anyone try LE in thier trans?

P.S.
I use the Skunk2 engine and trans drain plugs. The magnets are real strong, they can pick up one of my jack stands. I paid like $20, not much so I figured what the hell.

tronvex 11-09-2008 08:32 PM

I hope the fluid will last more then 5k miles. The service manual recommend every 60k miles. I notice a small leak not from the bolts but further back and place TRB to seal it up so far it holding. Got to check it again in the morning to make sure it have stop leaking.
I also went ahead and change the clutch fluid and the pedal feel a lot better. I didn't bleed like I should I just went ahead and use a turkey baster to suck up the old dirty fluid. Next I would have to hit up the brake fluid since there about the same color.
I just love the feel of it now.

Yeah, I thought about the Skunk2 drain with the safety wire hole but the Password:JDM work just as good.