S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

BG 44K and Oil Consumption

Old 06-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
i don't think he is actually telling you to put water into your engine.

there are some engines that are designed with water injection, like the M4 and new GT2. probably what he is referring to.
No, I mean injected into the intake. My first drag car had it back in '72 and most street builds I did had water or water/meth injection. Like I said its been around for longer than we have, always been used to get more power from the engine. I have never read or heard of any engine damage from water inj. and with water inj. you can run more compression.

ROD
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
No, I mean injected into the intake. My first drag car had it back in '72 and most street builds I did had water or water/meth injection. Like I said its been around for longer than we have, always been used to get more power from the engine. I have never read or heard of any engine damage from water inj. and with water inj. you can run more compression.

ROD
I've seen some good results with the water through the intake manifold, basically same concept as seafoam but just water on a hot engine if im not mistaken. Its a little out of my league, id probably flood the engine But I have a ton of deposits on the tops of the pistons, do you think removing most of it would do some harm as its been caked on there for god knows how long lol.

Btw I came up with a theory of why I'm not burning anymore oil, the bg44k cleaned the rings off which might have been gunked up a bit and interfered with the flow of oil to lubricate the cylinder wall? I dunno i cant think of anything else, it seems to work pretty gently but its strong enough to make a difference. I suspect ill start burning oil again when they get clogged up eventually. Looks like I'll run a can of the bg44k every oil change or somthing from now on. Cheaper than the 4 quarts of oil id be burning
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Back in the late 70's I worked for a used car lot(not as a sales man but as a car buyer) and if the car ran rough they would do a water tune up. Whats a water tune up? Well, all it was was a one gal. sprayer(like the ones you spray weed killer with) and they get the vehicle up to operating temperature, take off the air filter and spray the water into the intake while the engine was at around 3000 rpm's. Most ran better after that but some would foul a plug because of way to much carbon deposits, on those cars you would actually see a pile of carbon on the ground where the tail pipe was pointing down at the back of the car. I dought any S has that much carbon.

ROD
Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

We used to run military bore cleaner thru the systems back in the day. Came in gallon cans for tanks and artillery use. Massive amounts of black smoke would come out and the cars ran very well afterwards. Oil change was done afterwards. Of course none of us kept cars very long in those days so don't take this as anything more than we can do a lot of things to our cars and get away with it -- for a while!

-- Chuck
Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you switch oils? What oil were you using before?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
I've seen some good results with the water through the intake manifold, basically same concept as seafoam but just water on a hot engine if im not mistaken. Its a little out of my league, id probably flood the engine But I have a ton of deposits on the tops of the pistons, do you think removing most of it would do some harm as its been caked on there for god knows how long lol.

Btw I came up with a theory of why I'm not burning anymore oil, the bg44k cleaned the rings off which might have been gunked up a bit and interfered with the flow of oil to lubricate the cylinder wall? I dunno i cant think of anything else, it seems to work pretty gently but its strong enough to make a difference. I suspect ill start burning oil again when they get clogged up eventually. Looks like I'll run a can of the bg44k every oil change or somthing from now on. Cheaper than the 4 quarts of oil id be burning
i doubt a fuel system cleaner that is added to the fuel tank, diluted with fuel, an sprayed into a combustion will be that effective at removing piston ring deposits. fuel system cleaners don't advertise cleaning the piston rings for this reason, because it probably can't. cleaners that you add to engine oil however, will advertise piston ring cleaning. so i do wonder, did you pour bg 44k into the engine oil, or fuel tank?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
Did you switch oils? What oil were you using before?
Did not switch oils, always used penzoil platinum. Years ago I tried MULTIPLE oils and every brand I use burned a ton more, especially mobile one and castrol edge. Penzoil platinum only burned roughly a quart per 1k miles which was reasonable for me so I stuck with it ever since it came out.

Originally Posted by jyeung528
i doubt a fuel system cleaner that is added to the fuel tank, diluted with fuel, an sprayed into a combustion will be that effective at removing piston ring deposits. fuel system cleaners don't advertise cleaning the piston rings for this reason, because it probably can't. cleaners that you add to engine oil however, will advertise piston ring cleaning. so i do wonder, did you pour bg 44k into the engine oil, or fuel tank?
It was ran through the fuel tank, i dunno man bg44k is some pretty strong stuff. It states to clean the valves and combustion chambers so thats the main reason i used it since I noticed a lot of carbon build up within the cylinder. Also took a wiff of it before I added it in and its really some concentrated stuff. But then again ?!?!?! i dunno i generally tend to stay away frmo snake oil products.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:46 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
Thanks for postin, looks like ill use the 109 and moa my next oil change. When I change my oil at 3k miles my oils pitch black, probably cause it burned up about +/-4 quarts of oil within 3k miles Hopefully it can clear up some of the hidden gunk and keep my oil lookin nice at the end of the 3k miles. Do you just follow the directions on the can for 109? Read around and some people let it sit in their engine for 10-20 mins, and some upwards of 40 mins?

I've seen squeaky clean cylinder/pistons from a blown head gasket but doesnt carbon in the cylinder increase compression? Scared if i use water it wash out all the carbon it'll be doing more harm than good actually lowering compression. I think bg44k works more gently taking off carbon where it combusts and not throughly cleaning unlike water? Idk tho I feel like my logic is flawed some times.
Carbon is an insulator, not only does it increase compression it also creates hot spots on the piston crown which can lead to pre ignition. That's a quick way to lose an engine.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM

Thats nice to know
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, I cannot make any sense of this.

​​​​​​Perhaps you were leaking some oil through the drink plug and now it stopped because you used a new washer?

Quick Reply: BG 44K and Oil Consumption