S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Billman's TCT (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/billmans-tct-1146144/)

windhund116 02-16-2016 11:15 PM

Billman's TCT

3 Attachment(s)
Installed Billman's TCT. Very good instructions. Easy to install. Quieted idle noise.

Removed two bolts holding down air box on the passenger side. Moving the box to the front gives you enough room to remove access plug & pull pin with straight needle nose plier.

Attachment 85916

Allen head socket on access plug.

Attachment 85917

Pin needed to be pulled to activate the TCT, seen just inside open access hole. Stamp on new TCT is visible.

Attachment 85918

amsfoto 02-17-2016 07:41 AM

Good photos of what's probably the most "difficult" part of the install. I installed mine months ago & have had no issues. Great product!

Memo6453 02-17-2016 07:47 AM

I know TCT can go bad as early as 20k miles, but is everyone just replacing them as a proactive change out or are you all waiting for the slightest ticking and then changing?

windhund116 02-17-2016 07:59 AM

After I read all the great comments about this product on this site --- I decided to change it, even though I felt the chain noise wasn't that bad. Definitely made a difference, idle noise-wise.

Really, fairly simple fix. The biggest issue was dropping the stubby screwdriver into the engine bay. Had to jack car up and rattle a few things, to get the thing back.

:LOL:

alSpeed2k 02-17-2016 07:59 AM

Thanks for the pics, I haven't changed mine yet, it looks fairly easy though!

zeroptzero 02-17-2016 09:18 AM

One of the best deals going is to get the Billman TCT at the Dragon events. Bill will install the new unit and take your old one and you will get a great price :thumbup:

cosmomiller 02-17-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Memo6453 (Post 23883094)
I know TCT can go bad as early as 20k miles, but is everyone just replacing them as a proactive change out or are you all waiting for the slightest ticking and then changing?

I have an 09 that at about 50K miles I decided to install a Billman TCT. After a few emails back and forth from him, it was apparent that the TCT failure was a matter of "when" not "if". I had no obvious symptoms but I did a preemptive strike and changed it anyway. Never have to worry about it. The engineering of it made sense to me and the quality of what Billman shipped was first class. Would do it again.

jkelley 02-17-2016 09:54 AM

It's pretty well known that the OEM TCT will fail eventually, for most of our cars.

The TCT install is one of the easiest things to install on the car. It takes maybe 15 minutes if you're being extremely cautious (like myself).

I replaced mine with one of Billman's GenX even though mine wasn't making any noise. I just wanted piece of mind since my car had about 85k on it at the time. 5k miles later and zero problems (of course).

Changing the oil is more a pain in the butt that installing a TCT, in my opinion. By far, actually.

zeroptzero 02-17-2016 11:21 AM

It's a personal decision to decide when you want to do it. Honestly if yours is quiet maximize the use of it and replace it in the future when it starts giving you signals, there's no performance downside, it's just leads to bad noise. Some will last longer than others. Once it starts going south don't even consider replacing it with an OEM unit as some people have had failures quickly afterwards and the parts aren't cheap.

Trustd_1 02-17-2016 12:35 PM

my OEM was still functioning properly, but i swapped it for Billman's GenX as preventative maintenance.