S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Blue smoke vs gray smoke - oil vs fuel (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/blue-smoke-vs-gray-smoke-oil-vs-fuel-1181262/)

s2000Junky 02-21-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24423303)
Hope to get the car out in a few weeks, and hit some backroads to see if the Supra pcv valve has corrected the issue.

If not, will be trying a stock cat.... just need to find a S2000 parked on the street, or in a garage so I can borrow their cat! :LOL:

The ap1 has poor valve cover baffling which is more prone to allowing oil to splash through and enter the front breather and get combusted, but most report this on left hand turns on the track which doesn't sound like your issue, but thought id mention it anyway. The ap2 valve cover baffle was improved and ive never personally experienced this on the street or track but some have still. Ive heard of running the supra pcv before, back in the day I even ran one myself, but it was for boosted applications to help hold the added positive pressure the stock ap1 plastic one couldn't. In NA form i'm not sure what the thinking is since your not making any positive pressure.

Lovetodrive2000 04-08-2018 02:58 PM

If we ever get some dry, no salt 50's weather around here... can't wait to see if the PCV valve takes care of it.... :)

rpg51 04-09-2018 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000 (Post 24443748)
If we ever get some dry, no salt 50's weather around here...

Good luck with that. It was looking good here a week ago. I pulled mine out of storage and drove it home to my garage on a sunny dry, but cold, day. Literally the next day we got another 3 inches of snow and they laid salt all over the roads again after it had pretty much all washed off. No end in sight. Ugh.

nipponS2000 05-12-2018 11:36 AM

Any news?Same exactly problem.Jdm f20c motor with 100k miles on it.Changed seals,guides but nothing happened.Compression test 225 all 4.It burns 1.5 qt per 3k miles with normal driving.I'm ordering penzoil platinum 10w30 to see if something is going to change(tryed the amsoil sgt 5w50 but didn't notice any dramatic change).The mechanic diagnosed "oval" cylinder walls when we took off the head for changing the valve guides.But my question is,why it isn't smoking if i drive it hard,or driving on the highway?Only at traffic situations and when i take off a traffic light or when decelarating for some time and then hitting the gas

fatjoe10 05-12-2018 02:28 PM

I'd say that the oil control rings are most likely stuck. You'd have to remove one piston to confirm.

zeroptzero 05-12-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by nipponS2000 (Post 24458126)
Any news?Same exactly problem.Jdm f20c motor with 100k miles on it.Changed seals,guides but nothing happened.Compression test 225 all 4.It burns 1.5 qt per 3k miles with normal driving.I'm ordering penzoil platinum 10w30 to see if something is going to change(tryed the amsoil sgt 5w50 but didn't notice any dramatic change).The mechanic diagnosed "oval" cylinder walls when we took off the head for changing the valve guides.But my question is,why it isn't smoking if i drive it hard,or driving on the highway?Only at traffic situations and when i take off a traffic light or when decelarating for some time and then hitting the gas

do you have an oem cat, aftermarket cat or no cat (test pipe) ? When you take off from a stop you go from very lean to rich very quickly in less than a second, only a stock cat can effectively deal with the increase in fuel , the other two options will show light grey/ whitish exhaust. If you are running an oem cat then I am not sure what is causing your issue.

nipponS2000 05-13-2018 01:48 AM

I have no cat(test pipe).But i don't think it's fuel what i see and what i smell.It's oil for sure.Also it consumes enough oil for normal driving.I'd expect to see smoke all the time and especially in vtec with broken rings but it doesn't happen.Only after idling for a while at the traffic and then hit the gas or after braking the motor by gear(downhill with gear braking-no gas) and then hitting it again.It's strange but there is nothing left for me,the head is ok so it is the rings or cylinder walls.All others checked.Pcv,egr e.t.c.Hope the oil will help a little.Any ideas about penzoil platinum 10w30?I've read somewhere it helps with f20c's that consume a lot of oil.Any other suggestion?
Thank all the guys for the answers.

DanielB 05-13-2018 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by nipponS2000 (Post 24458224)
Only after idling for a while at the traffic and then hit the gas or after braking the motor by gear(downhill with gear braking-no gas) and then hitting it again.It's strange but there is nothing left for me,the head is ok so it is the rings or cylinder walls.

Those symptoms sound like worn valve guides and/or seals. I experienced those exactly on a non-S000 car, but without a significant change in oil consumption.

I see you changed the valve guide seals, but did you check the valve guides for wear? With my previous car, seals alone didn't solve it - eventually I had the head rebuilt with new valve guides and the smoke ceased.

nipponS2000 05-13-2018 04:34 AM

I've also changed the valve guides.Nothing changed:(

zeroptzero 05-13-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nipponS2000 (Post 24458248)
I've also changed the valve guides.Nothing changed:(

peace of mind test - swap in an oem cat, if the smoke goes away you are all good. If the smoke continues you have a mechanical issue. If it goes away with an oem cat then go back to your test pipe and no need to worry about it any further, enjoy the drive.