S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

braking 102

Old 03-11-2001, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solution to rotor problems
1 Add spacers under wheels to increase out side limit
2 Buy wheels that have spokes that go out side tire
3 Find parts that fit limits, and keep Honda's suspension engineering.
Replace center of rotor with forged aluminum hat( much stronger than cast or billet machined hat ) Reduce weight by 4lbs-2.25ozs per rotor per side. Use cast iron rotor material ( low cost , replaceable , can change sizes) use directional curved vane rotors (to promote cooling ) install rotor to hat with stainless steel bushings ( bushings let rotor expand as it heats up and slows transfer of heat from rotor to hat) and safety wired bolts ( I see a lot of pictures of cast aluminum hats in magazines with no safty wire. I would not want my rotors attached without it!! You now have a rotor assembly that can be custom tailored to any wheel , caliper or rotor.
The Advanced Cooling rotor cost $1,000 each less hat and mounting hardware.
25 views no replies colder that winter in Ohio!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2001, 10:37 AM

I'm waiting for Braking 103 which addresses the limited capacity of the brake system to pressurize oversized pistons of aftermarket calipers.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:21 PM

Randy I like the way you think . You are correct I found out that a lot of things effect piston travel. size is one of them . Keep in mind that you can get 4 piston calipers that have the same area as stock calipers . I will discuss all the factors that I found out on my journey to make better brakes for my car .

thanks
brad
ps Randy where in PA do you live.

[Edited by dwb1 on 03-11-2001 at 01:24 PM]
Old 03-11-2001, 12:40 PM

I was going to get the brembo 13" kit upgrade, but the calipers (4 piston) would not fit because of the aftermarket wheels I have (racing hart c2's). I have come to the conclusion that probably the best/easiest thing to do is just get lighter, stock size rotors (drilled/slotted preferred) and leave the stock calipers. Oh yeah, S.S. brake lines also.

As somebody pointed out on another thread, the S2K already has one of the lower stopping distances, so the stock system is not too shabby.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:53 PM

Rocketman you are correct. 13" rotors add weight, Brembo calipers don't fit stock wheels . Installing better brakes will not necessarily stop in shorter distance . Alot of things effect this . But lighter components will improve handling , improved cooling will make the 2nd ,3rd and so on stops better, less flexing of components will reduce ABS from kicking in , different calipers give better selection of brake pads.

thanks for speaking up

brad
Old 03-11-2001, 01:21 PM

Interesting posts!

I don't have much knowledge to add in this area, but I am intersted in seeing where this goes.

Ted
Old 03-11-2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by dwb1
ps Randy where in PA do you live.

[/B]
Added city to my profile
Old 03-11-2001, 04:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I knew that the Advanced Cooling rotors would be high, but a grand is a bit much.

Brad, Are the rotors you have chosen plated? Color? Have you looked into cryogenic treatment? Have seen nothing but good from the teams that use it (and fleet studies).
Old 03-11-2001, 06:22 PM

Rotors are cast iron . Can be plated many different colors. First rotors that I am trying Black Zinc and Yellow zinc. From all of the people that I have talked to racing rotors should not be problem . no holes , no treating . Promoting cooling and peventing drag will improve proformance making rotors last long time ,should be no problems . Street use drilled rotors should work fine but for best performance no holes. You will notice that Advanced Cooling rotors are drilled but they are not cast iron . When you see the rear rotors that I am working on you will freak out.Geting late will start braking (103 calipers) tomorrow geting tired . Think about calipers , I spent 3 months just on calipers almost gave up.
ps
thanks cdelena for the comments as a group we can solve a lot of problems.
brad
Old 03-11-2001, 08:46 PM

I had thought that holes in the rotors allowed gasses developed under the pads during hard braking a place to go, thus minimizing fade. Porsche upgraded rotors are cross drilled. Thank you in advance for education concerning this detail.

Quick Reply: braking 102