S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Burning smell and dirty clutch fluid = master/slave issue ?

Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Burning smell and dirty clutch fluid = master/slave issue ?

I just picked up a '09 with 28k miles or so. One owner but I don't think the clutch and tranny fluids were ever replaced.

Car was bought only with a remote inspection service, so since I got it, I notice whenever I start the car and even without moving it (so not brakes for sure), I get this burning metallic smell.

I went underneath the car and the smell seems to be coming from the clutch area. It comes and goes.

I went ahead and did a clutch fluid flush and noticed the fluid was dark and pretty contaminated.

Is this a sign of a failing master or slave cylinder ? Other than the smell, the car drives perfectly, clutch engage as it should, tranny shifts as it should.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Maybe engine or transmission oil leak, onto the exhaust?

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Maybe engine or transmission oil leak, onto the exhaust?

Doesn't smell like engine oil for sure, more like a hot burning metal smell.

I did check for leaks but the undercarriage was completely dry, and actually looks like it has never seen the road before. lol
Old 03-25-2019, 12:16 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

This smell happens on cold starts, no clutch pedal engaged?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

My bet is someone smoked the clutch recently, and residual smoked dust is what you are smelling. If I'm right, it'll go away soon.

I'm thinking car sat a long time, and maybe disk stuck to flywheel and pp surfaces, leaving material behind. So clutch wouod have been super grabby when it was pulled out of storage.

Or someone moved the car that doesn't really know how to drive a manual, and smoked it. Or just someone beat on it while they had the chance.

Was it delivered on a car carrier? Maybe the guy that loaded it smoked the clutch trying to load it slow and safe.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

...do a fluid swap via gravity bleed until it turns clear. Then do a clutch rod adjustment.

My bet is clutch will be perfectly fine. It is highly unlikely you have a bad mc or slave.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
This smell happens on cold starts, no clutch pedal engaged?
Yes, without the car moving at all. The smell seem to come and go, and I can smell it through the vent also inside the car. Even after the car sat for a few days, I can still smell a very very faint smell if I sniff around the undercarriage.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...do a fluid swap via gravity bleed until it turns clear. Then do a clutch rod adjustment.

My bet is clutch will be perfectly fine. It is highly unlikely you have a bad mc or slave.

I did do a fluid flush yesterday, although it didn't get through too much fluid. The last time I did it in my other S it came out much quicker, but they might be because I had the slave cylinder unbolted. Fluid is now clear at least.

Will try to do clutch rod adjustment too, but I did check for play before clutch engagement and it seems fine too.

The car was transported so definitely there's a chance that he was a bit rough on the clutch loading it onto the car. I honestly thought that's what it was, but after 2 weeks the smell hasn't gone away. Then again, I haven't actually driven the car until yesterday (east coast weather). Hopefully like you said everything is ok and it just needs some time for the smell to go away.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on what the issue was? I am having a similar issue on a low-mileage 2003 that also had very dirty clutch fluid when it was delivered to me.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 0000000127
Any word on what the issue was? I am having a similar issue on a low-mileage 2003 that also had very dirty clutch fluid when it was delivered to me.
check for fluid leaks inside car at the end of clutch peal assembly.

Quick Reply: Burning smell and dirty clutch fluid = master/slave issue ?