S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Can someone explain tranny and differential interactions, etc (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/can-someone-explain-tranny-differential-interactions-etc-199536/)

DanZilla 10-27-2009 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Just to add...I've used Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear oil with great success in my car. countless clutch dumps and tons of drifting, plus a weekend at the track. Fluid came out like new, I was pretty shocked.

It's also available all over the place :)

I'll be trying this now. :thumbup:

inactiveuser1114 04-13-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Just to add...I've used Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear oil with great success in my car. countless clutch dumps and tons of drifting, plus a weekend at the track. Fluid came out like new, I was pretty shocked.

It's also available all over the place :)

I have a question about the Mobil 1 stuff, i have always used 607 Almasol SAE 90 on my diff, i did notice that some how the quart has gone up considerably ($18) can i go to Mobil 1 without any problems?
Whats a better fluid, Mobil one or Almalsol, based on your experiences?

Thanks i need to do a fluid change really soon.

btw, how many quarts does the tranny need?
thanks again :thumbup:

GravyRobber 09-29-2012 06:23 AM

I have a "whirring" sound that increases with acceleration, however, it does NOT go away when I press the clutch in while decelerating. I bought the car 3000 miles ago, and it had just been serviced at a Honda dealer with the 105k service which includes all fluids. I will be changing the tranny and diff fluid this week, just for piece of mind.

My question is, does my "whirring" sound seem like a symptom of a bad diff (because dealer put wrong fluid in)? My original though was that is it a wheel bearing gone bad. I am planning on having th dealer replace both rear wheel bearings and hubs. I'd hate to have that done, only to find out that my actual problem is the diff.

Thanks for any input.

dwight 09-29-2012 01:15 PM

If the sound is linked to vehicle speed and remains the same regardless of engine speed and clutch position, then I would conclude that the problem is probably after the transmission, though the output side of the transmission is still being driven by vehicle motion.

If the fluid change doesn't resolve the issue and you have the wheel bearings changed, be sure that the axle nuts are torqued correctly afterwards. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...e-nut-tsb-diy/

GravyRobber 10-01-2012 03:47 PM

Well, I changed the diff fluid today - no change in sound. So I'm now hoping that it's the wheel bearing(s). I am planning on having those replaced at the dealer with OEM parts here in a few weeks. Hope that solves it, otherwise, a new diff is in order.

dwight 10-04-2012 07:44 AM

Does the sound occur at low speeds? Can you jack the car and try to listen to where the sound is coming from?

GravyRobber 10-04-2012 08:25 AM

It does, but is hardly audible at speeds below 30mph. I doubt I'd be able to run it up with the wheels off the ground safely.

It sounds a lot like a noisy throw out bearing, but I know for a fact that isn't it. It is coming from the rear of the car and is directly proportional to vehicle speed. It is completely independent of gear selection or clutch position. That leads me to believe that is is either a wheel bearing, the diff, or possibly something on the output side of the tranny.

I thought about taking it to the dealer, but I don't know that I trust their diagnosis, and sure don't want to pay them to fix something that isn't broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2K Al 03-18-2013 05:20 PM

Did you find an answer to this issue? I ask because I'm experiencing something similar. Having never driven an S2000 before I don't know what "normal" noises it makes, but I'm pretty sure this is not normal. Same thing - loud mechanical whirring coming from the rear end at speeds above 30mph, independent of speed above that. Clutching in does *not* get rid of the noise. The dealership I purchased the car from did a fluid change prior to me taking delivery as part of their standard procedures for rehabbing used cars, but did not specify the fluids that were changed (I didn't ask what was used). So far I've only driven about 50 miles, and the sound has been present since the first mile.

Calling the dealership tomorrow to figure out what diff fluid they used, hopefully they have a record of that. If its not the diff fluid (eg. if they used the correct fluids specified in this thread), what else might I be looking at? For reference, the car has 2650 original miles on it, so I'm hoping its not other mechanical failure.

Originally Posted by GravyRobber (Post 22058847)
It does, but is hardly audible at speeds below 30mph. I doubt I'd be able to run it up with the wheels off the ground safely.

It sounds a lot like a noisy throw out bearing, but I know for a fact that isn't it. It is coming from the rear of the car and is directly proportional to vehicle speed. It is completely independent of gear selection or clutch position. That leads me to believe that is is either a wheel bearing, the diff, or possibly something on the output side of the tranny.

I thought about taking it to the dealer, but I don't know that I trust their diagnosis, and sure don't want to pay them to fix something that isn't broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk