S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can you LOWER the redline with a stock ap1 ecu?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So you misshifted as in you accidentally hit neutral and reved it to 9k in neutral using throttle, or you shifted to lower gear instead of higher gear and that forced engine to 9k from cars momentum?

Nothing will prevent a too low a gear overrev. Rev limiters cut fuel and or ignition. Neither of those would help if you downshift instead of upshift.
Hit neutral when I thought I was in 3rd. I would have shit my pants if I had hit 1st gear

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Worth repeating: Nothing will prevent a too low a gear over-rev. Rev limiters cut fuel and or ignition. Neither of those would help if you downshift instead of up-shift.

The ECU on your car is not "tuneable" without a piggy back or standalone ECU.

I believe the ECU cuts the fuel at the injectors. Scared the heck out of me the first time it happened on my favorite on-ramp.

Not related but when is the last time that air filter was cleaned?

-- Chuck
Recently, like a month ago. I did not add a ton of oil. I have a new filter that I will be swapping in.

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Nothing is going to protect you from mechanically over revving the engine if you shift to the wrong gear.
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
As a fellow F22/ap1 ecu guy, it would be nice to have that ability, but short of an Emanage I am not aware of any other piggy back device that can provide this feature. I rev mine out to where the power drops off, which is 8400-8500 rpm which is deemed totally safe and its pretty obvious when the power drops off if your in tune with your machine. You can add a shift beeper if you need the extra help. Alternatively, if you track your car, its nice to have that extra 500rpms of over rev once in a wile between corners, saving you from an extra shift if you find yourself in such a situation.
I have read that, and i plan on autocrossing this year so that may come in handy. Out of curiosity, how long have you been running with the f22/ap1 ecu?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by seymourless

I have read that, and i plan on autocrossing this year so that may come in handy. Out of curiosity, how long have you been running with the f22/ap1 ecu?
Too many years to recall exactly. I think its been 8 now.

You really should be monitoring your afr as mentioned though IF you have your car de catted and any other breathing mods. I run an 00-01 ap1 ecu which delivers the most fuel and with my bolt ons still require more fuel to be safe, so I have utilized a adjustable fuel pressure regulator in place of the stock one so I can dial up the pressure for more fuel I need without a programmable ecu. I run a NEO as well, but thats not required to be safe, but rather another performance enhancement with lower vtec and fine tuning of the fuel curve.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 01-30-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

i believe 1st gear will keep you locked out at a certain speed?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Nope, other than the difficulty forcing the syncros to mesh the drastic differences in shaft speeds, nothing in particular locks you out. However that difficulty may be all you need to realize, whoa, stop trying.

But what about the other gears? Misshifting at higher gears means higher speeds means way more momentum slamming pistons into valves, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

I still see guys doing this but downshifting in lieu of or to aid braking stopped being necessary with the advent of disc brakes. That was circa 1953 when the LeMans Jaguar C-types won largely due to better braking. Yeah, it's sports car stuff. Our gearbox shift pattern is pretty tightly spaced but is spring centered in the 3-4 position. Don't force it, let it move there by itself if you want either of those, otherwise side pressure is required.

-- Chuck
Old 02-02-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HotMess
It's my understanding that the 04-05 ecu would be the correct candidate for this, since it's the original ECU for this early AP2 engine. I believe it's plug and play. Alternatively, i've heard of people running F22's to the rev limit of F20
It is "plug and play" however you won't be able to start the car without having the key paired to the ECU.

I have put ~75k miles on my F22 swap with an 01 ecu.