S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Cannot solve soft top creaking! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/cannot-solve-soft-top-creaking-1089874/)

white98ls 06-26-2014 11:30 AM

Cannot solve soft top creaking!

My soft top has started creaking over bumps when it's up in the last few weeks. I've searched and tried a few things - spraying the joints with white lithium grease, putting felt stickies in the places referenced in other posts here - but nothing has worked. The noise is coming from the upper crossbars - if I push up on the one above my head, I can replicate the creaking noise. Are there any other solutions? I know people will say it's an open-top car, it's going to make noise but it frustrates me since it didn't make any noise before in the year I had it.

Lord09 06-27-2014 12:47 AM

Might be the strikers. I had a tiny squeak over rough surfaces and hardtop strikers definitely helped minimize any noise.

white98ls 06-27-2014 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lord09 (Post 23220256)
Might be the strikers. I had a tiny squeak over rough surfaces and hardtop strikers definitely helped minimize any noise.

It's not the strikers. I push on the bar above my head and it replicates the exact noise. I had some striker rattles but some felt stickies fixed them.

s2kbsd 05-28-2015 11:17 AM

any updates? i have same issue.

Slowcrash_101 05-28-2015 02:30 PM

It's not rocket science, find where metal is rubbing use lithium grease, paste, not spray, work it in between metal parts.

adnankg 06-02-2015 09:00 AM

I recently had the same issue come up with my top. I've tried to alternate which latch I secure first and that has seemed to somewhat quiet the creaking. My top could definitely use another treatment of white lithium but I've been super lazy about getting in there.

white98ls 08-20-2015 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by adnankg (Post 23633464)
I recently had the same issue come up with my top. I've tried to alternate which latch I secure first and that has seemed to somewhat quiet the creaking. My top could definitely use another treatment of white lithium but I've been super lazy about getting in there.

Update: I've hit every pivot point from both sides with white lithium spray and it still creaks and squeaks like a mother----er, drives me nuts. I've isolated it to the crossbar that's at an angle - if you were to draw a vertical line between the seatbacks and the roll hoops, it's the one between those. If I push up on that bar, the creaks, ticks, and squeaks stop.

Having already hit it desperately with white lithium but to no avail, any tips on how to fix this? Is there something I can tighten, or a different lubricant I can use?

freetors 08-20-2015 06:41 PM

OP, try this. It works very well. I wish they would just sticky this or put it in the FAQs. Put your top up like normal but don't put the windows back up. After the top is latched, bump the switch down. The frame will retract a bit and preload all of the pivot points so that the individual pieces can't move, rattle, or squeak against each other. That's all there is to it. I drive my car with the top up way more often than down it's crucial to my sanity to not have a squeaking creaking top!

white98ls 08-21-2015 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by freetors (Post 23721478)
OP, try this. It works very well. I wish they would just sticky this or put it in the FAQs. Put your top up like normal but don't put the windows back up. After the top is latched, bump the switch down. The frame will retract a bit and preload all of the pivot points so that the individual pieces can't move, rattle, or squeak against each other. That's all there is to it. I drive my car with the top up way more often than down it's crucial to my sanity to not have a squeaking creaking top!

So shortly after posting yesterday, I read this elsewhere on S2ki and on my way home, I tried it and IT WORKED!! Not a single creak or squeak! Thanks a ton!

My only concern is long-term wear. It seems like the top frame just needs to be tightened - is there a way to do this via adjustments rather than this work-around?

steven975 08-21-2015 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by freetors (Post 23721478)

I had done this method, too, but the leading edge of the top split a month later. Then again the top was 9 years old and in not great shape.