S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Can't remove A/C blower/evaporator unit to replace expansion valve - help (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/cant-remove-c-blower-evaporator-unit-replace-expansion-valve-help-861492/)

SEVNT4 04-20-2011 11:00 AM

Can't remove A/C blower/evaporator unit to replace expansion valve - help

Using the diagram in the service manual, I've unclipped/unbolted everything I can think of according to the diagram (possibly except for the self tapping screw - is it a plastic piece or the goldish color screw on the far right buried deep inside, and where is it?). The blower/evaporator unit is loose and moving around but it will not drop down. It seems like it's hanging on something.

The expansion valve is what I'm trying to remove (yes, the A/C lines are unbolted). For those that have removed this part, any recommendations? I only found one old thread that mentions removing the passenger airbag but gave no detail.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. unbolt A/C line from engine bay
2. removed all visible bolts/screws from the diagram
3. unclipped the 4-5 main parts of the harness that I can see (are there more?)

Any help would be appreciated.

SEVNT4 04-20-2011 05:58 PM

A small update - I removed the passenger side airbag which at least helped provide a little bit more access into that compartment. For the life of me, I still can't remove the blower/evaporator unit. The left side is loose and moves down but it seems there's something on the very far right side that won't come loose or is still attached that I can't see or access.

Anyone?

Slows2k 04-20-2011 06:51 PM

IIRC, there is a 12mm nut that goes through the firewall that holds the HVAC case in

SEVNT4 04-20-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k (Post 20490322)
IIRC, there is a 12mm nut that goes through the firewall that holds the HVAC case in

The man himself! Thx bud.

Is that 12mm nut in the engine bay side or on the interior of the foot well? Could have sworn I removed all the lower bolts/nuts there but I'll definitely have another look. It probably is one little (well) hidden item.

Slows2k 04-20-2011 07:24 PM

Engine bay side.

SEVNT4 04-20-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k (Post 20490417)
Engine bay side.

Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow and give it another go.

SEVNT4 04-21-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k (Post 20490417)
Engine bay side.

I had a quick look today and I think the nut that most resembled the one in your description sits dead center on the firewall. It seems too far to be related. From the location of the blower/evaporator unit in the diagram, this item sits lower and to the right in the footwell. I think the nut you mention may hold the upper section of the air tunnel in place. I'm still baffled since the left side of the box (item D) is loose but the right side seems to still be connected somehow. I can only assume it's item C or the farthest bolt on the far right in the image but can't see how to get to it. :confused:

https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4198...evaporator.jpg

SEVNT4 04-24-2011 11:06 PM

Update: Well, I finally managed to remove the blower/evaporator box unit after finding out that there was a 10mm nut buried deep inside (on the upper far right as I thought) behind a thick cluster of harness clips, etc. You need a long socket extension to get in there from the bottom. The service manual doesn't mention this stuff.

I did this with the passenger seat in place but some of you might find it easier to remove the seat first for more room to get into the footwell in those really uncomfortable positions and angles to undo certain parts.

Just some tips to anyone else going through that as a DIY.
1. Professionally evac the system at a shop.
2. Remove the battery out of the car (gives more access to the A/C lines.
3. Undo the 10mm nut at the front part of the heatshield and the 10 mm nut holding the A/C line near the shock tower. This allows some movement of the A/C lines.
4. Remove passenger side lower footwell kick panel. It pops out fairly easily with a little bit of prying from a flathead screwdriver.
5. Remove the passenger side airbag. (unclip harness wire and remove (3) 10mm nuts and push the system straight up from the bottom so as not to damage the dash cover or trim (assuming you had tried prying it from the top). It's stupidly simple to push it out from the bottom.
6. Unclip all the necessary power lines per the service manual and push them out of the way.
7. Unclip and remove the rectangular clip box that's connected with a 10mm bolt to the dash tube frame.
8. Remove the blower fan power clip and then fan motor by removing the (3) 8 or 10 mm bolts holding it in. You're taking this out to give you more room to pull the entire blower/evaporator box unit from the previously posted diagram.
9. Remove the passenger right front kick panel that sits in the footwell. Pull out the plastic self tapping screw carefully with a little pressure and pop out the door sill trim so you can swing the panel back up (picture lambo door movement).
10. Unclip the lowest harness that sits nearest to the floor panel on that right wall and push the clips out of the way to make room for the blower box to drop down.
11. Go back to the engine bay, pull out the plastic A/C line holder/grommet that sits in the firewall which was located near the battery . Undo it per manual spec.
12. Remove 10mm bolt from between the two A/C lines there.
14. Gently, with increasing force, pull back the right A/C line until it pops out of the expansion valve. Then remove the left one. You may have to use a little force to carefully pull the lines back and out of the way. Make sure debris doesn't get in.
15. NOW, Remove the water drain hose by pulling it through the firewall towards you and then undo all bolts, nuts and screws for the blower/evap unit box and carefully jiggle the box down and out of the dash area in the footwell. This is a bit tricky as there's very little room.
16. Once it's out, inspect the other parts that need replacing as needed. Those might be the expansion valve, evaporator, etc. If you're doing this job, you probably already know. I suspect you might be able to get the expansion valve out through the firewall without droping the box out but it is a real tight fit through the firewall hole to get to it. Why the engineers didn't make a slightly larger oval hole, who knows.
17. Reinstall everything in the reverse order now and you're done.

Slows2k 04-25-2011 02:56 PM

:thumbup: I couldn't remember for certain. I know Pilots and Odysseys have hardware that goe4s through the firewall.

Sarek 12-17-2011 04:01 PM

I tried PMing SEVNT4 but his PM box is full.

Maybe you can help me Slows2k :bow:
My question... I'm looking to replace the heater hose (barbed) pipes coming from the firewall with AN fittings to make more room for my turbo setup.

I was wondering if these instructions include taking this part out?

I'm hoping that I can do it without taking the dash out like the manual says. Thanks in advance for any info!

Paul :hello: