S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car acting up. idle and at speed

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car acting up. idle and at speed

Hello,

My names Ryan. Lately I've been having some probs with my S, I was hoping I could get some insight from anyone who might have been down this road. I've been searching for the last 2 weeks and I'm tired of dancing around with this prob.

First off I haven't had any CELs so I haven't been able to scan for codes. My idle is fine at times and low/rough at other times. Yesterday it kept stalling, I had to give it gas to keep the rev up at stop signs and what not.

Underload it jumps in low gears like a newb learning to drive stick. Around 3-6k at mild accel or steady cruising it'll hiccup and hesitate sometimes bog for a bit. It feels like the throttle closes a bit and reopens to where it should be.

I've swapped out air filter, MAP sensor, spark plugs, TPS. My only engine mod is a t1r exhaust, SoS TB and a comptech air filter. I just passed my smog test perfectly too which makes me think its not the O2 sensor.

Sorry for the novel, if you can point me in the right direction I'd be soo apprecitive.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Update:
Just got a CEL, 2 codes. P1129 (manifold pressure higher then expected,MAP) and P1399(misfire)

A lot of posts with people having the same prob but no posts on how people fix it.

Any siggestions?

UPDATE:
it was one of the battery cables(not on the battery) that was loose tripping out the ecu.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sex2K!,Dec 15 2007, 03:19 AM
I've swapped out air filter, MAP sensor, spark plugs, TPS.
Your problem may be solved with either coil packs or injectors. Seems the older cars are starting to have these parts die. I had a similar issue and it was solved with injectors. Another owner here just recently posted about similar issues and his was fixed with coil packs (or in his case, he just replaced the one bad one).

Although, I'm puzzled by the P1129 code...that is normally a MAP sensor issue.

Also...I'm curious...above you say you replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor). On our car it is not possible to replace the TPS with OEM unless you replace the throttle body too. And I'm not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket TPS for our car yet. Did you replace it yourself? If so, I would love to know whose TPS you were able to use. And if a mechanic did it for you...you may have been jipped...which would also make me suspect that the MAP wasn't replaced either, which is why you are getting the P1129 code.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:17 PM

The TB was a science of speed TB it came with a TPS. The map sensor I replaced my self.

Its possable that my plugs are not gapped properly, it seemed the prob esclated a couple days after swappin them. Any ideas on that?

I've been cleaning all my sensors how do you test the coils?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Check your spark plugs or replace them? What's the milage on your car?

Jason
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 PM

I replaced the spark plugs. My milage is 102k
Old 12-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sex2K!,Dec 22 2007, 09:17 PM
The TB was a science of speed TB it came with a TPS.
Oh...that explains it.

If you bought oem plugs, they should be gapped correctly out of the box...but it doesn't hurt to double check.

The owner whose issue lead to a bad coil "tested" by waiting until the coil completely died and the car was running on 3 cyl. He started the car from cold and felt the exhaust header primaries...the one that stayed cold was the one with the bad coil.

Not sure there is another way to easily test coil packs.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Wow, it just so happens that I felt these same exact symptoms a couple of weeks ago and again today. I only have 57K on my odometer, so im hoping its just my plugs.

How long did it take for the CEL to kick on from when you first started experiencing the bogs/ hiccups?
Old 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Dec 22 2007, 09:25 AM
<snip> I'm not aware of anyone who makes an aftermarket TPS for our car yet. <snip>
There is one FS now. The Omni-Power Throttle Position Sensor replaces the OEM TPS Sensor without any modifications. The "Honda Civic/Acura Integra" one is the right part for us. They just don't list us. Kingmotorsports.com has them.

http://www.omnipowerusa.com/product.asp?P_ID=137
Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM

It took a few months before I got a CEL. I don't daily drive it tho, so I think it took longer because of that. It started with a hiccup every so often to now it does it all the time.

Start by checking your map its cheap.

On the omni power TPS, I belive they would need to be calibrated to the S2K specs. Also the stock sensor will need to be drilled out and re tapped for the new sensor. It has tamper proof screws.

Quick Reply: car acting up. idle and at speed