S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car cranks but wont start

Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cranks but wont start

car cranks but wont start i've changed the fuel pump, fuses and battery and still good amount of petrol still in it.

started last night but when i tried to turn it on this morning would only crank but not turn over but now its not priming either, i checked the fuses again replaced the battery too but still wont start

cant figure out the problem can anyone help?

please and thank you in advance
Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Default car wont start but cranks

Originally Posted by mikees2k
car cranks but wont start i've changed the fuel pump, fuses and battery and still good amount of petrol still in it.

started last night but when i tried to turn it on this morning would only crank but not turn over but now its not priming either, i checked the fuses again replaced the battery too but still wont start

cant figure out the problem can anyone help?

please and thank you in advance
EDIT: changed fuel pump ,fuses and battery
Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Maybe, the clutch bypass switch is not working properly.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the green immobilizer light on the dash turn off after turning the key to start the car? Immobilizer will let the car crank but shut off the fuel system
Old 10-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

At the risk of sounding jarsh, you don't seem veey good at diagnosing (throwing random parts at it hoping one fixes it is not diagnosing). It hurts thinkong of all that time and money wasted.

Lets try to make it easier. Lets first rule out fuel. Get a can of starting fluid. Remove air filter. Spray a long squirt into intake. Does it start now, at least for a sec or so? If so, its a fuel problem (not battery, not electrical, etc). Of not, and if you did a looong spray into intake with filter removed, then immediately tried to start and it didn't, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Troubleshooting is a needle in a haystack. Keep making the haystack smaller by isolating. To start, an engine needs fuel, spark, and compression. And timing of spark. Narrow it down to one of those first.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 PM

So my 05 is in the shop right now for the same issue(i think). Started out with electronics(ignition) checked battery(was failing so replaced), still didn’t work. Have looked at further ignition conditions. Starter is fine, spark plugs are good, immobilizer does not seem to be giving issue. Talked with some other technitians and was told to check another ignition relay(common failure in Honda’s), found wires had failing connection points, soldered new connections, but those didn’t hold, so replaced the relay entirely. Fuel pressure regulator was found to be leaking somewhat so that was replaced. Cam sensor was also causing rough(bogged) start, so that was replaced. There was still a drop in voltage upon crank so new/additional grounding was wired and voltage drop has decreased significantly to be back in factory specs. Was told to come pick up the car and as luck would have it it’s still wonky starting, so now the rest of the fuel system is next on chopping block. Might have an update after shop calls me tomorrow. Glad i have a shop that’s taking their time to test everything methodically but I’m fearing my problem is leading down a deeeeeep money pit.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Sounds like that shop has no idea what they are doing and just keep replacing stuff blindly.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Sounds like that shop has no idea what they are doing and just keep replacing stuff blindly.
Exactly. And making up stories about why the thing they fixed was really broken, so they can get paid for their inept shotgun style troubleshooting.

Their stories sound so good to you, so convincing, because they have a lot of practice at weaving such tales...
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's very true...soo many shops out there that just have no clue on what they're doing
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Ok thanks for telling me how you feel about shops. Any constructive criticism on what the actual problem could be if all of the above has been tried?

Quick Reply: car cranks but wont start