S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Help- Slave Cylinder

Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help- Slave Cylinder

I was trying to re-surface and regrease the clutch slave cylinder rod today, removal was easy, I took all boots off and regreased the ball end of the rod. But when I was trying to put the sc back on, the bolt holes on the sc did not match the hole on the trans. The "bowl joints" (sorry I dont know what to call it)in the sc body pops out and cannot move, so I cannot bolt sc back on. then the "Bowl joint" thing and the spring inside the sc popped out when I pushed the clutch pedal, some fluids flowed out. I kind of smashed them back in the sc so I can bolt the sc back on the trans. At this point I know there are no clutch fluid in the system. Then sitting back in the car and push the clutch pedal and it did not go back, and cannot shift gears. Did I just destroy a slave cylinder or its just because there is no fluid in it.
Bear with me this is my first time doing this. Any inputs would be great.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go back and reassemble the slave cylinder correctly and bleed the system. Once it's bleed properly the clutch pedal will spring back and have pressure. And no you did not destroy the cylinder by running it out of fluid.

What you should've done is compress the slave cylinder to line up the bolts. You can compress the piston back in which would cause fluid to flow backwards from the slave cylinder to the reservoir.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Go back and reassemble the slave cylinder correctly and bleed the system. Once it's bleed properly the clutch pedal will spring back and have pressure. And no you did not destroy the cylinder by running it out of fluid.

What you should've done is compress the slave cylinder to line up the bolts. You can compress the piston back in which would cause fluid to flow backwards from the slave cylinder to the reservoir.
Thanks!But the problem was I cant compress the piston, it was stuck, and I used my wrench handle slammed the piston all the way down, it was really tight. I ll try bleeding the system tomorrow and see.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 PM

If you cannot push the piston in by hand, means your master cylinder rod needs adjusting. You're not allowing the slave/master to work as it should (e.g. self adjusting allowing fluid to flow back/to the reservoir)
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM

If you cannot push the piston in by hand, means your master cylinder rod needs adjusting. You're not allowing the slave/master to work as it should (e.g. self adjusting allowing fluid to flow back/to the reservoir)
I never touched master cylinder, so how do I adjust the rod?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Look behind the clutch pedal and undo the locknut on the master cylinder rod. You can then rotate it CW/CCW to the correct position. Also check that you're not preventing the clutch to fully release via the other adjustments available at the pedal.

Read here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=16&t=192881
Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not adjust the rod just yet. Open the bleeder valve on the slave, you should be able to push the slave back in and line up the bolt holes.

Do you know how to bleed the system? You obviously will need to do that when you get everything back together.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mlc
I would not adjust the rod just yet. Open the bleeder valve on the slave, you should be able to push the slave back in and line up the bolt holes.

Do you know how to bleed the system? You obviously will need to do that when you get everything back together.
Sure, the piston will go back in when the bleeder is cracked open, but he needs to correct the issue on the master cylinder. Based on his description, it sounds like the rod is pushed too far in not allowing the master cylinder piston to fully retract. This is blocking the relief port in the master not allowing fluid to be pushed in reverse (back to the reservoir). This is critical to a hydraulic master/slave cylinder operation to allow the unit to self adjust as the clutch wears down.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mlc

Yes I found a DIY on S2KI, its kind of simple task. Yeah I should have realized open the bleeder would help push the piston back. Hope pushing it using force did not destory the seal.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mlc' timestamp='1356317801' post='22227170

Sure, the piston will go back in when the bleeder is cracked open, but he needs to correct the issue on the master cylinder. Based on his description, it sounds like the rod is pushed too far in not allowing the master cylinder piston to fully retract. This is blocking the relief port in the master not allowing fluid to be pushed in reverse (back to the reservoir). This is critical to a hydraulic master/slave cylinder operation to allow the unit to self adjust as the clutch wears down.
I adjusted the pedal rod to remove the free play before. Does that affect anything?

Quick Reply: Need Help- Slave Cylinder