S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

car starts, then dies, then wont start

Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car starts, then dies, then wont start

I have a 2000 S2000 and it died on me the other day. It wouldn't start back up that night. The next day she started up but as soon as you give it any gas she dies again and wont start back up for around 4 hours. also when she wont start it seems like the battery is dead (turns over real slow). the is no clicking when she wont start and she sounds fine while running. had the battery checked and said it was good with a 100% charge. im stumped and need some help.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 PM

does it make any noises when trying to crank?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 PM

It tries to start. Turns over really slowly. Even acts like a dead battery in side the car (rpm and speedo and radio turn off but lights on the bottom of cluster stay on). Sounds like the battery is dead but its not. Tried to jump it and sounds the same way and had the battery checked at O'Reilly's.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 PM

maybe bad battery connectors then...battery full not the energy is not fully being delivered...
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

I have checked this connections. I think it's either grounding out somewhere or it's multiple problems like starter going out and a vacuum line. But I have no idea where to begin looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

You could have multiple problems. The slow crank could bad starter or battery problem. You can't rule out a fuel pump going bad, causing the car not starting but that shouldn't be related to a slow crank.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM

Ok. Update. I started the car a second ago. It warmed up and then started to die. As long as I give it a little gas it will stay running. I'm scared to let off the pedal cause I'm pretty sure the car will die. But it's been running at about 1500 rpms with my foot on the pedal for about 5 minutes now and sounds fine. And when I turn on the ac it puts a lot of strain on the motor. More than I ever remember it having. Have no idea what's going on. Gonna pull starter and altenator and have them checked today

Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Put the car in gear and it instantly died. Didn't even let out of the clutch.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Drove the car and it drove fine. Dies as soon as you let off the pedal and won't start back up. Seems like something electrical. Any suggestions?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had you been driving the car regularly and then poof.....the problem started one morning? Any recent modification or work done on the car? Did you recently change brands of fuel? Your car is most likely throwing some pending Type B codes. They won't show as a CEL illumination. Explain your problem to a local part supply store and see if they will loan you a scanner ( many will in hopes you'll buy your repair parts there.....some will require a large deposit).

Could be many things so need more info.

Utah

Quick Reply: car starts, then dies, then wont start