S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   CEL 5 Flashes (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/cel-5-flashes-853983/)

blks2k06 03-20-2011 10:22 AM

CEL 5 Flashes

need help if anyone here knows what 5 flashes indicates............. my scanner tool will not link to my obdII unit

car cranks but no start...........has spark.....

CU03BLKS2K 03-20-2011 10:30 AM

A flashing CEL usually means pull the car over and shut if off immediately. I've never had one (knock on wood), but I've read that when the CEL flashes, it means if you keep driving, something very bad may happen.

blks2k06 03-20-2011 10:35 AM

Yah.........it wont start so that wont be a problem lol

car just shut off on the highway and wouldnt crank over.....and gave me that cel flash....so i had it towed.

CU03BLKS2K 03-20-2011 10:48 AM

I guess I would first off get something or someone that will read the code. That should be able to help you out. I recently looked at advance for the scanners and their cheapest one wasn't too expensive. It just didn't tell you what the code was (it just showed the letter and numbers, no description), but I'm pretty sure you could find what any code is using the internet.

blks2k06 03-21-2011 08:31 AM

anyone that can help???? :bump:

Moddiction 03-21-2011 08:34 AM

How's your oil level?

suzuka-blue-s2k 03-21-2011 08:41 AM

:iagree: and try to get that code pulled from the ECU, that will help you greatly on what happened to it. Did you recently over rev or anything like that? If you were just driving on the highway and it shut off with the CEL blinking, and now won't turn over, that usually means your engine is done.

I agree though, go check and see how much oil is in it. Hopefully it's nothing to bad.

blks2k06 03-21-2011 09:02 AM

it ran fine.....and just shut off.....oil is full.....i need to know what that code is....ive checked everything i could .....but the scanner will not link with my ecu....

suzuka-blue-s2k 03-21-2011 09:08 AM

That's strange. Well there really isn't anything any of us can do for you at the moment it seems like. What I would do is try to source another scanner to try and pull the code. If you can get the code out of it, it will tell you exactly what your problem is.

blks2k06 03-21-2011 11:50 AM

anyone with a helm manual that show diagnose cel flashes??? :confused:

jimnasty23 03-21-2011 02:37 PM

Get the code and let us know what the code number is, if u can't figure out what the code is I'm sure someone can. I have access to codes through school. so let us know, it'll be much appreciated and easier to help u diagnos ur problem :) and if u manage to get i5 started don't drive, flashing cel means xP (bad).

R1_Pilot 03-21-2011 03:07 PM

I assume you have an -06+ ... if so, the older scanners will not work. Find someone with a newer scanner.

J

blks2k06 03-22-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by R1_Pilot (Post 20384082)
I assume you have an -06+ ... if so, the older scanners will not work. Find someone with a newer scanner.

J

i am not sure what year model was the scanner my dad used....and yes i have an 2006 dbw....

how new of a scanner ?? like 06+?? thankS!!!!

blks2k06 03-22-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by blks2k06 (Post 20386090)

Originally Posted by R1_Pilot' timestamp='1300748851' post='20384082

J

i am not sure what year model was the scanner my dad used....and yes i have an 2006 dbw....

how new of a scanner ?? like 06+?? thankS!!!!

my dad sade its a 2002 scanner ......and has scanned 2010 cars 2009 etc and worked fine... :confused:

R1_Pilot 03-22-2011 01:42 PM

The newer dbw S2000 require FCAN bus scanners. I had the same problem at the dragon and Billman had to let me borrow his scanner. Buy or borrow a newer scanner and it will work, i promess ;)

J

NFRs2000NYC 03-23-2011 02:37 AM

Probably not your problem...but...I've had the car flash the CEL, buck, hesitate on power, then finally die. It would start, then immediately die again. Problem....???? Ran it out of gas.

blks2k06 03-23-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 20388745)
Probably not your problem...but...I've had the car flash the CEL, buck, hesitate on power, then finally die. It would start, then immediately die again. Problem....???? Ran it out of gas.

car had half a tank.....so i am going to try the new scanner and see what happens..

blks2k06 04-06-2011 12:49 PM

ok so i hooked up a CAN obd2 scanner and still wont read! :mad:

can some one tell me want kind of obd2 scanner for my 2006 honda will read????

Vyndictive 04-06-2011 04:24 PM

Don't quote me on this for the S2K, but in most cases a flashing check engine light indicates a serious misfire.

Did you get a solid check engine light after?

barrett4bama 04-06-2011 04:44 PM

The brand (idk the name) that Autozone uses works. I used it on my 07. Blinking CEL means it's something that can damage the catalytic converter. I.e. bad misfires, etc...

blks2k06 04-06-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by barrett4bama (Post 20438190)
The brand (idk the name) that Autozone uses works. I used it on my 07. Blinking CEL means it's something that can damage the catalytic converter. I.e. bad misfires, etc...

blks2k06 04-06-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by barrett4bama (Post 20438190)

it blinked 5 times.... And the car won't turn over...

barrett4bama 04-06-2011 04:51 PM

I'm like 98% sure the number of blinks doesn't matter since obd2. That was the old way to get codes.

whiteflash 04-06-2011 05:24 PM

You're not understanding, how many times the CEL flashes doesn't tell us anything; except that something detrimental happened. A flashing CEL tells you one thing; stop the car immediately, and don't try running it until the problems fixed. Depending on the issue, repeated attempted cranks could have made it worse. A solid CEL tells you something non detrimental is going on.

If it cranks, and has spark.. my guess is either your battery is low, or your alternators shot. But there could be a bajillion things going on and without the codes it won't do us any good.

Do you have power to your accessories?

blks2k06 04-06-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash (Post 20438327)
You're not understanding, how many times the CEL flashes doesn't tell us anything; except that something detrimental happened. A flashing CEL tells you one thing; stop the car immediately, and don't try running it until the problems fixed. Depending on the issue, repeated attempted cranks could have made it worse. A solid CEL tells you something non detrimental is going on.

If it cranks, and has spark.. my guess is either your battery is low, or your alternators shot. But there could be a bajillion things going on and without the codes it won't do us any good.

yes............i have power and i have spark...........it just wont turn over....so it must be a sensor......i am just tired of buying obd2 scanners and having them not work....... i guess i need a "extended can scanner" so........i just want to know what brand and model of scanner there are so i can get one!

R1_Pilot 04-07-2011 11:32 AM

I use an Actron ... believe me, like I said before make sure its FCAN bus ...

If your car will not crank over, how do you know there is spark?

From the looks of it and how long you been dealing with it, it looks like you would be better not touching the car and just taking it to Honda.

J

banflu 04-07-2011 12:34 PM

i know this probably won't help you, but i've had a flashing CEL a number of times while driving ... in my case i'm sure it was because of the racelogic traction control system, because it only does it when the RLTC is working overtime (i.e. constamtly misfiring for 10 seconds or more).
It blinks for about 20 times and then turns off. I never took any notice of it.
But once last week, the CEL turned on and stayed on. I panicked, and disconnected the battery to see if it comes back. It didnt. I went to my mechanic today to have it checked out .. but he found no errors whatsoever ..
It seems that the CEL codes are totally reset / erased when you disconnect the battery.
Its strange coz just about 3 days ago I had another blinking CEL and that didnt show up either .. and I havent disconnected the battery for about a week now ...

anyway .. i'd be glad if someone can get some light about this issue .. thanks

whiteflash 04-07-2011 03:01 PM

Yes if you disconnect the battery your ECU wipes itself of all stored information. I would never drive my car after see'ing a flashing CEL. That's a recipe for an expensive fix.

banflu 04-07-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash (Post 20442053)
Yes if you disconnect the battery your ECU wipes itself of all stored information. I would never drive my car after see'ing a flashing CEL. That's a recipe for an expensive fix.

thanks for the reply whiteflash, but to be honest, i didnt know that a blinking CEL meant that something was really bad.
AND, it only does it when the racelogic traction control is cutting MAJOR power for an extended period ... so, its no surprise that the ECU would detect the misfires ..

And what I still find strange is that we SHOULD have found the error codes from last sunday's blinking CEL .. but we didnt https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...t/confused.gif

I dont know what I should do now ..

whiteflash 04-07-2011 03:27 PM

My guess:

You had some sort of fuel/spark cut; ECU detected major misfire across all cylinders. Blinking CEL. A CEL code will generally wipe itself if the problem is not encountered again within 3 driving cycles. So now the question is; why. I'd test your battery make sure it's putting out enough power; check coils / plugs, and run an injector cleaner.

As a side note, I would have serious comfortability issues running any aftermarket part that induced a flashing CEL; either directly (by some sort of fuel cut) or indirectly (by some ECU misreading). Is this a normal thing for the racelogic traction control, or is it exaccerbating an existing problem on your setup?

banflu 04-07-2011 09:25 PM

The battery is only about a month old, and I have no starting issues or anything, so I'm sure the battery's fine.
Spark plugs are about two months old, they're ngk iridium, one step colder due to my mugen ecu.
I used two bottles of techron injector cleaner around the same time I changed my plugs. Back then I had some knocking issues, this is now fixed by means of torco accelerator (sort of an octane booster). Local fuel is really low in octane, and this torco stuff actually works to eliminate the knock.

And anyway, I had NEVER seen a CEL before installing the RLTC. And I've never seen a CEL while the RlTC is idle. It ONLY does it when I'm using full throttle in serious low-traction surfaces, and the rltc is literally cutting all injector pulses for an extended period of time.

Tbh I don't think I have anything to worry about; I only expected to find an error code on the obd scanner.

eddie8181 04-08-2011 08:58 AM

It means the readiness codes (emissions) are not set.

blks2k06 04-08-2011 10:30 AM

it sparks cause it cranks and i can check it.....but wont turn over.....actron? what model?

blks2k06 04-10-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash (Post 20438327)

ok!! so heres the code P0498
Type PowerTrain
Status Stored
Description Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit Low

what the f does that mean? that would cause my car not to start?? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R1_Pilot 04-10-2011 11:12 AM

The Honda manual says that code does not exist. Are you sure of the number? I do find P0497 though.

J

blks2k06 04-11-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by R1_Pilot (Post 20450243)
The Honda manual says that code does not exist. Are you sure of the number? I do find P0497 though.

J

thats what my scanner said for a 2006 s2k...

blks2k06 04-11-2011 10:44 AM

anyone know the location of the error? :confused:

blks2k06 04-11-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by blks2k06 (Post 20450155)

Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1302139498' post='20438327

Type PowerTrain
Status Stored

what the f does that mean? that would cause my car not to start?? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Type PowerTrain
Status Stored

what the f does that mean? that would cause my car not to start?? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/

BUMP!!!!!

blks2k06 04-12-2011 02:55 PM

what the fudge does that mean? that would cause my car not to start?? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][b]ok!! so heres the code P0498
Type PowerTrain
Status Stored

blks2k06 04-14-2011 08:08 AM

P0498
Type PowerTrain
Status Stored

??? would this cause my car not to start?

:bump:

blks2k06 04-15-2011 10:36 AM

bump again!

blks2k06 04-20-2011 01:23 PM

dropped my car off at the shop

will update you guys as to whats going on (since no one can help here!) :crycry:

:p

blks2k06 04-21-2011 09:11 AM

well FML! the driver side cam seized....... its dry.....i have no idea why no oil would lubricate the damn cam ......

how the hell could this have happened? any one with simular problems? :crycry:

blks2k06 07-07-2011 10:27 AM

the intake cam seized.......melted the aluminum to the cam that it holds to.......are 04-05 cams the same as 06 cams with dbw??? i need an intake cam as well as the thing that holds the cams in place...they unbolt from the head..... thanks!

blks2k06 07-08-2011 11:18 AM

SheDrivesIt 07-08-2011 01:37 PM

Pretty sure that you cannot actually buy those parts from Honda. If you buy from Honda you need to buy a complete head I think.