S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Checked my spark plugs

Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Checked my spark plugs

Plug #2 is more greyish than tan and the electrode looked a bit worn compared to the others but nothing really unexpected for the mileage on them. The gap was ok. The other 3 are brown/tan looking.Just wondering what this would mean?

About 33,000 km on plugs. 83k on the car. When I pulled out the old set of plugs I noted the same thing on plug #2 as well.

Car runs great - no problems. Any ideas?

#2 from the front of the car.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

post up some pics if you can.

Slight variations are not uncommon, each cylinder still gets a different level of airflow despite the engineers' best efforts to equalize flow, and cylinders 2&3 typically run hotter than others. Maybe the slightly different gap affected the cylinder burn in that cylinder, or perhaps it is burning a bit more oil than others. Maybe the coil on that cylinder isn't working the same as the others. It is difficult to say exactly what it could be. From what I've seen of my plugs they all tend to be a darker grey colour with the cooler plug heat range and our rich fuel mixtures, the brownish deposits usually come from fuel additives. Likely nothing to worry about if the car is running well and you have no signs of excessive oil burn. IMO unless you start seeing wet black deposits on the plug it is likely fine.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without pix,it's hard to tell...but I agree w/Jfusion.I wouldn't worry about it.
Fuel additivesor diff grades of fuel might cause the diff in color.

The NGK Copper V-Power BKR7E is a great stock heat range plug for these cars.I've had better service with copper plugs.

They are $2 ea andlast about 20k.Since it's a 30 min job,I change them often.

IMO....

\rlr
carolina
Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Well I use nothing but vpower. The thing is only one plug is a bit different in colour I'm wondering how that could be an additive.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Well I use nothing but vpower. The thing is only one plug is a bit different in colour I'm wondering how that could be an additive.
the brown deposits on the 3 plugs are from additives in the fuel that you get at the pump. A greyish plug is from running a bit more rich or burning a bit of oil.

If you can post up some pics it would be helpful.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 AM

I see.I'll try for pics. Thanks all.not worried.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM

I'll have to verify which plug was the odd colour either 2 or 3 but my theory is that oil vapors are being pulled into the 3rd runner since it is closest to the pcv pipe and why the plug is a different shade. Just installed a custom catch can and already after less than 100km there is 2 drops of oil.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Take a look at this .............. http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm
Assuming that when you say "greyish" and compare this to "brown/tan", you are meaning that "greyish" is a lighter colour than "brown/tan", then that plug is subjected to more heat or a slight lean condition. A lean burn produces more heat. A rich burn produces less combustion chamber heat and consequently, a darker deposit. You later say you're not sure if it was #2 or #3. #3 cylinder in a 4 cylinder engine tends to run the hottest because it's sandwiched between the next hottest 2 cylinders (#4 & #2). #1 usually is the coolest as it benefits from being out front (incoming engine bay air) and being closest the the coolant that just got cooled by the radiator.
Without pictures, it's hard to say if that difference in your description of colour really is significant. "Normal" plugs can range from greyish to brown/tan, so it can still be considered normal.
We seem to get frequent reports of misfire codes on these cars and in many of the cases, it's not a life threatening condition. It often times is something as simple as bad or loose plugs, loose coilpacks, poor fuel injector spray. In almost all cases of reported misfires, we tend to change the plugs right away but yet .................... so many people don't bother to check the gaps. They insist that plugs come pre-gapped and are ready to go. I say this is a foolish assumption and you get the outcome you deserve. Then there's the matter of fuel injector cleaning. You hardly ever hear of people using FI cleaner on a regular basis. And when somebody posts up about misfire codes, they say they've never used injector cleaner because the harsh chemicals in the cleaner is bad for the engine ................. B.S.!!!
Guess what! A poor spray pattern in a dirty injector is bad for the engine and in many cases, is what created the misfire code in the first place. Anyway, I'm getting a bit off course here but all I'm saying is check your plugs & gap when you take the old ones out and do the same when you put new ones in. Perhaps consider using injector cleaner on a regular basis (just before each oil change) and you may never see a misfire code. Your slightly "off" colour plug may just be a hint that #2 or #3 injector (whichever one it is) is spraying funny and a misfire code is just around the corner.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 AM

The four cylinders do not get equal air flow, as much as the engineers try they don't get it perfect, so your theory on oil intake may be part of it, and cylinders 2 and 3 can run hotter given their location in the line of cylinders. Different injector flow can be part of it for sure like mentioned above. Dry grey colour is okay, the only cause for concern is when you see "wet" looking deposits. I think you are fine, a catch can should help in general, and I'd run some injector cleaner which I try to do once a season.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 AM

Ran some techron a few thousand km ago. Do you think they do much considering all the additives in gasoline?

Will pull plugs soon and report back. Looking at the IM what do you guys think about the 3rd runner being so close to the pcv pipe?

Quick Reply: Checked my spark plugs