S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clanking.. clutch area? pressure plate loose bolts. took apart, put it together and still clanking.. NEED HELP

Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking.. clutch area? pressure plate loose bolts. took apart, put it together and still clanking.. NEED HELP

Hello, so a few days ago when decelerating I would here this clanking kind of noise that sounded to be coming from the clutch area... its a definent noise that is coming that area. about 5 months ago I replaced the clutch on it with a formula one racing stage 2 clutch and pressure plate. I thought it might be the flywheel since the clutch was reletivly new. I order the prolite act. So I drop everything and I find that 4 pressure plate bolts were loose, 2 of which were backed half way out. I figure this was my problem (didn't use loctite) ... I'm no huge mechanic but I do all my work on my vehicles.. always have. I checked out the clutch and flywheel and I didn't see anything that stood out to me when it was out of the car. I installed the the new flywheel and put the clutch and pressure plate back on, i installed the pressure plate with 6 more lbs ft. and loctite this time at 25ft.lbs. I put everything back together. Went and drove it. Seeemed fine at first.. 3 miles I could lightly hear something.. got on it a little, 6 miles in it was making that same clanking noise but worse. not only when decelerating but when at a steady speed I could really here it making noise and clanking. when I put a little bit of gas to the pedal it would kinda go away... It doesnt' sound anywhere near for the drive shaft. It sounds completely find when reving in neutral so its not the brand new flywheel. Can anyone shed light on this.... I just dropped the tranny and did all this work and got it together to find out I have to tear it all apart again... is it the pressure plate... did it get shot because it was loose before? I can ony see it being the tranny or clutch/pressure plate... Thanks. Sorry for being a long post. stressing out it being my DD and I have work tomorrow. Need to figure this out so I can order parts and get started.. also had clutch buzz the first time I installed the formula one racing clutch... not sure if that helps at all.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM

What color/type of loctite did you use (hopefully red)? I had a friend use blue instead of red loctite to install a clutch and basically the same thing you are experiencing happened. Aftermarket clutches seem to frequently be the source of issues with s2ks.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM

I used red loctite. and it sat problably 30 hours before it was ran. The first time I put the clutch in I didn't use any... why I don't know.. I'm thinking the pressure plate got screwed up because it was loose...
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it says to put loctite but I've never used it and never had that issue, very odd indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never used loctite on a clutch. It shouldn't even think of coming loose at the right torque spec.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM

I even used 6 ft.lbs extra torque this time. I don't think it came loose again this time.. it did the first time with no loctite. I'm just wondering if the pressure plate could have gotten messed up because the bolts were loose... cause somethings wrong. same sounds as when I tore it apart only worse now...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM

I can't believe the spec is only 19ft.lbs for the pressure plate... thats like nothing.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 AM

I never did check the springs in the clutch... do you think it could be a loose spring, the clutch is not that old but then again its a cheaper clutch...
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Most torque specs are a guide. It is up to the mechanic to deem the bolt is tight enough. Never trust a torque spec. Look at issues Honda has had with the car due to improperly listed torque specs.

I never use loctite.

If your problem goes away in neutral, and only surfaces while moving, check your drive shaft bolts and halfshaft bolts.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by blackbndt
Hello, so a few days ago when decelerating I would here this clanking kind of noise that sounded to be coming from the clutch area... its a definent noise that is coming that area. about 5 months ago I replaced the clutch on it with a formula one racing stage 2 clutch and pressure plate. I thought it might be the flywheel since the clutch was reletivly new. I order the prolite act. So I drop everything and I find that 4 pressure plate bolts were loose, 2 of which were backed half way out. I figure this was my problem (didn't use loctite) ... I'm no huge mechanic but I do all my work on my vehicles.. always have. I checked out the clutch and flywheel and I didn't see anything that stood out to me when it was out of the car. I installed the the new flywheel and put the clutch and pressure plate back on, i installed the pressure plate with 6 more lbs ft. and loctite this time at 25ft.lbs. I put everything back together. Went and drove it. Seeemed fine at first.. 3 miles I could lightly hear something.. got on it a little, 6 miles in it was making that same clanking noise but worse. not only when decelerating but when at a steady speed I could really here it making noise and clanking. when I put a little bit of gas to the pedal it would kinda go away... It doesnt' sound anywhere near for the drive shaft. It sounds completely find when reving in neutral so its not the brand new flywheel. Can anyone shed light on this.... I just dropped the tranny and did all this work and got it together to find out I have to tear it all apart again... is it the pressure plate... did it get shot because it was loose before? I can ony see it being the tranny or clutch/pressure plate... Thanks. Sorry for being a long post. stressing out it being my DD and I have work tomorrow. Need to figure this out so I can order parts and get started.. also had clutch buzz the first time I installed the formula one racing clutch... not sure if that helps at all.
Which 4 bolts were loose? Was the pressure plate still clamped to the flywheel evenly? Did you check for uneven wear to the friction plate? If you press the clutch pedal slightly, enough to load the clutch assembly but not disengage the clutch, is the noise the same/still there? Stupid question , but you did fit the input shaft bearing in the new flywheel? All that said, it does sound(as Dr Billman is alluding to) that it is something else, non-clutch related. I too have F1 clutch(stage 1), only fitted a couple of weeks ago. I had hideous "clutch buzz" before the change, but I have to say it's all but gone now. However, the f1 racing clutch plate has a double spring(one inside the other) system, this is very much like the original S2000 clutch plate which was superseded by a single spring type friction plate. The springs in my stage 1 plate are heavier gauge and slightly less tightly wound than the original plate, what difference that makes I'm not too sure! Due to the similarities I'm guessing that at least some of my "clutch buzz" will return sooner or later!

Quick Reply: Clanking.. clutch area? pressure plate loose bolts. took apart, put it together and still clanking.. NEED HELP