S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Clicking Rear End... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/clicking-rear-end-71892/)

DJHohum 07-15-2002 03:54 PM

While driving my car today i noticed that i would hear an irratic clicking noise while making a turn. Upon closer inspection i noticed that it would only click while making a right turn. i also isolated the clicking noise to be coming from the right rear tire.

is my differential ready to go or does it have something to do with the hub?

My car is lowered with KG/MM's and was properly aligned by Darin at West End Alignedment. Can this be a cause?

TIA

Albert 07-15-2002 04:04 PM

Yo Mike, waaazzzzzupppp!?!?

Lemme guess, you here the clicking A LOT when you're going through a covered parking area? One possibilty is that the sound could be coming from your brake caliper. Possibly a seized caliper guide pin. I had that annoying clicking noise on my other car for a while, and finally figured out that I had a seized guide pin. I fixed it myself, but it was a little bit of a pain. Try taking it to the dealership to get it fixed under warranty.

Lates,

Albert

DJHohum 07-15-2002 04:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback Albert! Anyone else have any other ideas?

RT 07-15-2002 04:17 PM

creaking hub splines?

ninedeep 07-15-2002 05:23 PM

Check the axel nut (maybe the cause).........have honda replace it. They did it for me and it only took 20 min.:confused:

s2000coupe 07-15-2002 06:01 PM

Mike i have a solution for you :D It is your differential in the rear end! Its a flaw in honda's desine. If you like to put a lot of power down or if you put on a supercharger its a really good idea to get a Reinforced Differential Housing that you can get from comptech (http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/page117.html) look at the bottom of the page .
some honda service centers will put it in for free if they take it apart. Check with them before you buy this part. I hope this helps you if you have any other problems let me know Jason Kasten

RT 07-15-2002 10:43 PM

what?

s2000coupe 07-15-2002 10:48 PM

what do u mean what?
Rt

CoralDoc 07-16-2002 03:51 AM

Clicking noises from the rear, especially if you are accelerating, sounds like CV joints to me. Other possible causes are spun rear axle bearings, loose rear axle nuts or possibly the differential.

I'll reiterate RT's "what?" S2000coupe - as you state, the issues with differentials often surface when people have added forced induction to their engines. Stating that "Its is a flaw in Hondas desine" [sic] is like stating "My rear springs bottom out when I load 500 lbs in the trunk. Its a flaw in the design."

lehighwiz 07-16-2002 04:34 AM

i have the same exact noise in the same exact place, but mine only happens when pulling out and only when the wheels are turned a bit. I was sure that it had to be the diff. I have plans to take it to the dealer in the near future. I will post my results as soon as possible.

Matt

s2000coupe 07-16-2002 06:46 AM

go up a hill i bet its going to make the very same noise

vtecvoodoo 07-16-2002 09:39 AM

my guess would be cv`s

FunInTheSun 07-16-2002 10:06 AM

I would lean towards the CV myself.

twohoos 07-16-2002 12:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lehighwiz
[B]i have the same exact noise in the same exact place, but mine only happens when pulling out and only when the wheels are turned a bit.

Auburn S2000 07-16-2002 02:15 PM

Originally posted by ninedeep
Check the axel nut (maybe the cause).........have honda replace it. They did it for me and it only took 20 min.:confused:
I heard the clicking noise coming from the rear also, especially in reverse. About 3 months ago I took it to the dealer and they re-torqued the axle nut. That seemed to do the trick. Yesterday I heard the same noise. I guess I'll take it back and have them look at it again.

RT 07-16-2002 03:40 PM

Spray some penetrating oil in to the splines via the staking keyway and save yourself the multiple trips to the dealer. It takes a few hours to soak in before you can start enjoying the new found peace and quiet ;)
BTW, I have done it and it works great.

DJHohum 07-16-2002 05:04 PM

took my car to the dealer today just to have some ass clown mechanic check it out. he said it was becuase my right tire was worn out. i called bs but decided to put my other set of rims on anyway. the noise was still there.

while putting my rims on i rotated the tire to see if the other side would turn in the opposite direction. IT DIDNT!!! they just rotated in the same direction! doesnt that mean that my LSD is busted?!

Auburn S2000 07-16-2002 05:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]Spray some penetrating oil in to the splines via the staking keyway and save yourself the multiple trips to the dealer.

j2k 07-16-2002 06:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]Spray some penetrating oil in to the splines via the staking keyway and save yourself the multiple trips to the dealer.

RT 07-16-2002 07:55 PM

BTW, I never "re-torqued" mine.

j2k 07-16-2002 10:15 PM

hmm... it just occured to me that what you said about not retorquing yours but instead just shooting some oil down that stake channel is kind of interesting. That keyway only goes down about an inch, if even that, and doesnt go the entire length of the threaded end of the axle. So I have a hard time imagineing anything actually getting back to the splined area of the axle that way... but then again, maybe it could. I was also under the impression that the clicking noises were coming from the inboard edge of the hub rubbing against the axle splines (based on the wear I've noticed from hubs I've pulled off my car... I'll try to put up another picture of that area to show what I'm talking about)... but maybe I'm wrong about that too... I'll have to take another close look at my worn hubs.

cheers,
jason keeney

Bert 07-19-2002 12:30 PM

I have been to the dealer twice this week for the exact same problem. According the dealer, it was loose axle nuts and there was a bulletin out on it. The first trip in they tightened the nuts from the standard 200 ft-lbs to 220 ft-lbs. The problem was better, but definitely not fixed. The 2nd time I took it in, they torqued it up to 280 ft-lbs. So far this seems to be doing the trick. Really hope it is fixed this time as I am hitting the track next week :p

Deathscythe 07-19-2002 08:55 PM

I have that noise too. So what should I tell the dealer when I take it in (for something else, auto-down on the window) ?

Thanks