S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch delay valve or slipping clutch?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch delay valve or slipping clutch?

Ok, me and my cousin were leaving Cars & Coffee LV this morning and when I got on an inclined on ramp, I decided to give it WOT to get to speed. I was in second and when I shifted to third, I definitely felt a slip in the clutch when I floored the gas again. I'm sure I let off the clutch before going to the accelerator. It happened again shifting to fourth. When I got on the freeway, I can smell the tell tail aroma of clutch lining. It's not the pungent smell of burnt clutch but a very subtle smell. I did another WOT run but now on a down hill on ramp and I didn't feel the clutch slip. I was kinda bothered by this and I did a couple more WOT runs around an open area and sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't. Like I said, I'm 100% sure I released the clutch before getting on the gas every time I shifted. I've done WOT shifts before but today was the first time doing it in peak summer weather. Is what I described the infamous clutch delay valve on the AP2 or is my clutch starting to slip? My S only has 5k miles on it btw. Also, would the hot climate be a factor?
Old 07-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had an AP1 there were times I'd "glaze" the clutch after one screwed up clutch drop. One good slipping rev was all it'd take. It'd take a while to work through whatever slippery surface condition I'd induced. Maybe our AP2 friction plate is similar? I haven't messed my AP2's clutch up... yet.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the CDV to me. If your clutch were starting to go out, you would notice it slipping at various times, especially going up hills in higher gears.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM

def the CDV I wouldn't worry about it to much
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would the CDV result in the stench? It should not -- all it does is "pace" the final engagement no matter how quickly the pedal is released. The stench would either be due to applying too much throttle too early, or another problem. If you know how to work with the CDV, there should not be any slippage or clutch perfume.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I started getting slipping like this and I deleted the CDV. I'm still getting slip when shifting at the tops of gears. Car has 7k, I figure it's the pressure plate not being strong enough.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by skier219,Jul 5 2008, 06:19 PM
Why would the CDV result in the stench? It should not -- all it does is "pace" the final engagement no matter how quickly the pedal is released. The stench would either be due to applying too much throttle too early, or another problem. If you know how to work with the CDV, there should not be any slippage or clutch perfume.
I figure it was the CDV. I think the clutch perfume could've been a combination of a few factors (inclined on ramp, hot summer temps, WOT to early) oh well, I figure if my clutch goes out prematurely, I'll just upgrade to a better one and add in a light weight flywheel.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM

i was told this method by my mechanic to test whether your clutch is slipping or not. It was on my Rex though.

Car stationary, pull hand-brake, slip into 3rd gear, try to move forward gentlely. If the car stutter and move, your clutch is fine. If it slip and car not moving, oh no..
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 AM

How about you stop jamming on the gas once you release the clutch?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by stealthx32,Jul 6 2008, 01:58 AM
How about you stop jamming on the gas once you release the clutch?
right...

Quick Reply: Clutch delay valve or slipping clutch?