S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Pedal Vibration

Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Vibration

I'm getting an odd vibration at the clutch engagement point following a CMC replacement. I checked for crank play and movement was absolutely minimal, I had to zoom in 100% on the video to see any movement at all. The car got a new clutch about 15k miles ago with new OEM TO, Flywheel, PP and disk. All AP1 hardware on an AP2 if it matters (AP1 flywheel, slave etc).

Fast, minimal vibration.
Most noticeably during rev-matched downshifts
Only felt around the engagement point
Free play is at zero
I can feel the vibration when lightly pressing the clutch past the CMC free play
No vibration felt past engagement point

Did not have this before replacing a leaky CMC and bleeding the system. Any ideas? I may throw a little bit of free play back into the adjustment just to see if that solves it, but nothing seems wrong with the car other than the vibration. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Give the clutch a few 2nd gear launches with reasonable slip (do not go crazy revving it to the moon on launch). If the clutch isn't perfectly straight, this could be a disk thing. Sometimes the little springs in the disc itself aren't quite right either.

Do that and report back.

Edit: Did you delete the clutch delay valve in the process? This is a dampening mechanism in the hydraulic system as well as something to prevent hard impacts.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 01-18-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Give the clutch a few 2nd gear launches with reasonable slip (do not go crazy revving it to the moon on launch). If the clutch isn't perfectly straight, this could be a disk thing. Sometimes the little springs in the disc itself aren't quite right either.

Do that and report back.

Edit: Did you delete the clutch delay valve in the process? This is a dampening mechanism in the hydraulic system as well as something to prevent hard impacts.
Alright, Ill try tonight.

Clutch delay was deleted about a year ago when the clutch was replaced. Ap2 slave was swapped with ap1 slave. Only change when the vibration started was new CMC, fluid bleed and a pedal adjustment as part of the CMC swap.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
Alright, Ill try tonight.

Clutch delay was deleted about a year ago when the clutch was replaced. Ap2 slave was swapped with ap1 slave. Only change when the vibration started was new CMC, fluid bleed and a pedal adjustment as part of the CMC swap.
Check all your lines for contact points to the driveline (trans, engine, etc). Even minor contact can create all kinds of noise and craziness from my experience.

Was the CMC an OEM or aftermarket?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Check all your lines for contact points to the driveline (trans, engine, etc). Even minor contact can create all kinds of noise and craziness from my experience.

Was the CMC an OEM or aftermarket?
OEM Honda, alright I'll take a look. Honestly it feels like drive train vibration going through the pedal.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
OEM Honda, alright I'll take a look. Honestly it feels like drive train vibration going through the pedal.
Well that's exactly what it is. I would put my money on clutch shudder; I'm a Manual Trans Dev/Val Engineer by trade so that is typically what I would call it if what you're saying to me is correct. I haven't ever seen a master cyl effect a clutch engagement like you're indicating.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Any remote chance you may have gotten oil or grease onto the flywheel? Perhaps, in an event unrelated to the clutch bleeding.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Any remote chance you may have gotten oil or grease onto the flywheel? Perhaps, in an event unrelated to the clutch bleeding.
i doubt it, it's been a year since we did the clutch with no issues before now

im pulling the freeplay back a bit and seeing if maybe I went too far
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 AM

Updates?
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 AM

Added some freeplay and no difference. It's definitely intermittent. I might try another bleed when I can, but I'm at a bit of a loss. I have to imagine it has to do with the CMC, fluid or the adjustment.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Vibration