S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch slipping on highway 07 85k

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch slipping on highway @ 4k RPM

This is a strange problem that I can't figure out. A few months ago I found the clutch master leaking so I replaced it with a new one. All was great again with normal engagement about mid throw.

A few weeks ago I was in hot stop and go traffic on the highway. After the traffic cleared up I slowly picked up speed in 3rd and at 4-5k RPM I noticed the clutch slip and the engagement was high. The next day it was back to normal, but a little higher than before.

So to prevent this from totally failing, I bought a new slave cylinder. Again it seemed great with about mid throw engagement. Until today when I got stuck in traffic again it was about 85F outside.

The same problem happened again 3rd or 4th gear slipping as I accelerate from 4k-5k RPM.

Note: I'm not full throttle or shifting this is slipping with the clutch fully out and my foot off it.

Car is 07 with 85k.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:16 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

First thing to check is bleed the fluid and adjust clutch rod.

Contaminated fluid might be expanding at temp, partially engaging clutch. So do a full fluid swap during the bleed. Gravity bleed untill fluid swapped.

Don't let reservoir go empty during process!
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

This is prolly a sign your disc in wearing out. The rivets holding the friction material maybe touching the pressure plate & flywheel, causing slipping. This happens, as the clutch gets hot from constant stop-&-go usage. And the metal rivets expand.

How many miles on the disc?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
First thing to check is bleed the fluid and adjust clutch rod.

Contaminated fluid might be expanding at temp, partially engaging clutch. So do a full fluid swap during the bleed. Gravity bleed untill fluid swapped.

Don't let reservoir go empty during process!
Typically air in the system wouldn't allow the vehicle to expand the pressure plate enough (not provide enough hydraulic travel). I'd still bleed the hell out of it and adjust the clutch pedal, but, unfortunately, it points to the clutch disc being at the end of its life.

It should be noted that I've never heard of dirty, contaminated fluid "expanding" at temp and causing enough travel to put pressure on the pressure plate.

- Your local MT Engineer.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Almost any fluid related issue will cause the clutch not to disengage (it seems some are using the terms backwards ... "engage" is when the clutch is mated fully to the flywheel. You disengage when you press the clutch pedal). I have never heard of fluid being able to expand enough to partially disengage the clutch personally.

If you were having issues with it not disengaging fully, then I would say one of the cylinders, lines or air in system. But, since it is slipping, it is likely either a worn disc or possibly it is not engaging fully due to a mechanical issue. This would not likely be the slave or master since the clutch engagement is 100% due to the spring pressure in the clutch. The master/slave only do anything when disengaging. So any mechanical issue would be a throwout bearing that is sticking on the shaft. And in that case, you still have to pull the tranny to fix, and at 85k it makes no sense to do that without replacing the clutch while you are in there. Due to the gutless nature of our engines at low RPM, clutches on the S get slipped more and wear out a lot sooner than a lot of other cars, especially if it has ever been driving hard (track, autox, and definitely any drag racing).
The following 2 users liked this post by engifineer:
HawkeyeGeoff (06-12-2019), theredone (06-15-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Almost any fluid related issue will cause the clutch not to disengage (it seems some are using the terms backwards ... "engage" is when the clutch is mated fully to the flywheel. You disengage when you press the clutch pedal). I have never heard of fluid being able to expand enough to partially disengage the clutch personally.

If you were having issues with it not disengaging fully, then I would say one of the cylinders, lines or air in system. But, since it is slipping, it is likely either a worn disc or possibly it is not engaging fully due to a mechanical issue. This would not likely be the slave or master since the clutch engagement is 100% due to the spring pressure in the clutch. The master/slave only do anything when disengaging. So any mechanical issue would be a throwout bearing that is sticking on the shaft. And in that case, you still have to pull the tranny to fix, and at 85k it makes no sense to do that without replacing the clutch while you are in there. Due to the gutless nature of our engines at low RPM, clutches on the S get slipped more and wear out a lot sooner than a lot of other cars, especially if it has ever been driving hard (track, autox, and definitely any drag racing).
I echo this.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engifineer

Thanks for the great input, I bought the car with 28k on it. I have mostly driven it on the highway. I did one autox, but don't drive it that hard. I have a track focused car for that. The disengagement was high when I bought it and adjusted it to be a little better, but never good.

Yes, I was bleeding it using gravity/someone pumping. I don't think there is much if any air in the system. I could buy a vacuum bleeder and see what I can pull out. Yes, I didn't let the reservoir run empty or low.

Again the only time I notice this is after a hot day in stop and go traffic. When I try to accelerate away at a 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Otherwise it seems fine, maybe a little noisier than it used to be.

So it seems just do the whole thing? Clutch/flywheel/fork/throwout?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by theredone
Thanks for the great input, I bought the car with 28k on it. I have mostly driven it on the highway. I did one autox, but don't drive it that hard. I have a track focused car for that. The disengagement was high when I bought it and adjusted it to be a little better, but never good.

Yes, I was bleeding it using gravity/someone pumping. I don't think there is much if any air in the system. I could buy a vacuum bleeder and see what I can pull out. Yes, I didn't let the reservoir run empty or low.

Again the only time I notice this is after a hot day in stop and go traffic. When I try to accelerate away at a 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Otherwise it seems fine, maybe a little noisier than it used to be.

So it seems just do the whole thing? Clutch/flywheel/fork/throwout?
Yep that's what it is looking like.