S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Clutch is slipping when shifting at redline... New clutch? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/clutch-slipping-when-shifting-redline-new-clutch-1024753/)

Seven11 05-29-2013 03:12 AM

Clutch is slipping when shifting at redline... New clutch?

2005, 59k miles, pretty sure it's on the original clutch.

My clutch is slipping if I redline the gear and then upshift and slam on the gas. If I ease on the gas, the clutch grips fine.

It would pretty much slip all the way to redline in the next gear, I would have to let go of the gas and let it hook up and get on the gas again. Pretty annoying.

Other than that the clutch grips and doesn't slip.

The clutch pedal engagement is all the way on the top. I had the clutch pedal adjusted and it would lower the pedal engagement point for like a day and then go back to engage at the very top.

I had the clutch master cylinder changed recently because the old one was leaking

Do I need a new clutch or is there something else here?

Sebring AP1 05-29-2013 07:30 AM

Its your heavier AP2 flywheel that does that.

ScottyS2k 05-29-2013 08:43 AM

AP2 flywheel and CDV will make your clutch slip when shifting too fast. I just make sure I fully release the clutch before hitting the gas, it grabs and goes every time. Although even when I first bought my car and was shifting way too fast it wouldn't keep slipping until redline, maybe for 1k rpm's or so but then it would grab again, so it could be something else, although I only had 20k on my car at the time.

rob-2 05-29-2013 01:50 PM

Stop slamming the gears! You aren't racing boy-wonder!

The clutch will feel like it's slipping, because it is, designed to save your transmission from moronic gear slamming driving. Learn to shift properly and you won't experience this.

I think you're doing what is called 'power-shifting' which isn't proper driving.

Seven11 05-29-2013 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22574562)

The clutch will feel like it's slipping, because it is, designed to save your transmission from moronic gear slamming driving. Learn to shift properly and you won't experience this.

I think you're doing what is called 'power-shifting' which isn't proper driving.

i do not abuse this car, just drive it the way it was supposed to,

i cannot believe that this problem is normal

there is no way this car should be slipping the clutch all the way to the redline in the next gear.

dantediss 05-29-2013 02:38 PM

The cdv is only active for a second or 2 to save the clutch and trans. If under heavy load its slipping all the way to redline on a gearshift then thats not good. Im a bit confused if its the stock clutch or if you said you just replaced it. But if it was replaced you need to baby it for a few hundred miles to get it all situated before thrashing it.

Ryuu 05-29-2013 02:49 PM

too many things.. maybes...

the ap2 part.. delayed to preserve / save from common shifting errors on the drivers part... don't as you say redline an slam an WOT.. kinda sort not what all the parts are designed for... but...

pressure plate losing clamp.. friction disk glazed... in which case yes plan on a clutchset

new master maybe needs bled idk,,,

do you smell anything, indicating clutch..??

jetboater 05-29-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Seven11 (Post 22574584)

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1369864216' post='22574562

i do not abuse this car, just drive it the way it was supposed to,

i cannot believe that this problem is normal

there is no way this car should be slipping the clutch all the way to the redline in the next gear.

Can you provide a link to the info on how the car is supposed to be driven? I missed it somewhere.....

Seven11 05-29-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ryuu (Post 22574692)
too many things.. maybes...

the ap2 part.. delayed to preserve / save from common shifting errors on the drivers part... don't as you say redline an slam an WOT.. kinda sort not what all the parts are designed for... but...

pressure plate losing clamp.. friction disk glazed... in which case yes plan on a clutchset

new master maybe needs bled idk,,,

do you smell anything, indicating clutch..??

i smell a burnt clutch

Back S2k 05-29-2013 03:44 PM

put e-brake up put the car in third give gas and start letting out the clutch if the car wants/stalls ur clutch is fine if not then its burnt/on its way out