S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cracked Compliance bushings

Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Cracked Compliance bushings

While doing some work on my car I noticed the compliance bushings on both sides are cracked. I'm not sure how deep the cracks go but they're all over their surface. I'll attach a picture below. Will they have a negative effect on the car, in their current state?

IMG_1149
Old 12-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

These are usually the first suspension bushings to fail on our cars. The caster adjuster in the middle of the bushing also sieze often. Unfortunately Honda doesn't sell replacements they force you to get the entire control arm, but Mugen and Spoon sell OEM like bushings (slightly stiffer than stock) or you can go with a polyurethane or spherical setup

I had one bushing fail so I replaced both with Mugens - I didn't notice any difference in feel to be honest
Old 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just went through the same thing myself...replaced with OEM control arms. Noticed no difference, but it makes me sleep better knowing the car doesn't have cracked bushings
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is they show age, yes. From the one photo shown, and I didnt zoom or anything they are Ok, not great. If you want to get technical yes, it would effect performance to a small degree. Really need to look out for cracks that go all the way through or appear to be close to going through. It would be worth considering replacing them sooner just to avoid inconveniences. AKA set up a day where it can be done where you don't need the car or whatever. My 2 cents. Somebody more experienced should chime in. More photos maybe.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:31 PM

If Mugen/Spoon have OEM like bushings then I assume their life expectancy would be like OEM? My car is an 02 with 49k miles. How do the polyurethane/spherical compare to the OEM? I'm not sure if I really care about what I'll "feel" with the new bushings but I definitely do not want something that will squeak or require maintenance. Which one do you guys recommend?

My car isn't my DD and also I'm planning on replacing the front sub-frame over the winter so I might as well replace the compliance bushings at the same time.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

They looks fine to me. They are not even close to warn out and I would not consider your bushing bad at all. I have seen s2000s with 20k miles and they have those tiny surface cracks on the compliance bushings. Even my 02 ap1 with 125,000 miles looks like yours and it's looks like they even at 50k miles when I baught the car.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Those aren't too bad. But if you are going to be replacing subframe, then yeah, I'd do these then for sure.

If you want zero maintenance, then get the mugen ones, not any of the poly types. Those would require some relubing from time to time. Many find its no big deal, but it ain't zero.

You need to press the old ones out, new ones in. There is an arrow in the rubber to show which way they go in. Arrow must point to the front bushing. Think of the arrow as if it were the bushings pivot that must be in line with front bushing pivot (front bushing bolt).
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I mean TBH...No one here can tell you if they are good to go or not. When you have an alignment done the tech will be able to tell if they are shot or not. They will flex very easily if they are worn out.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 1,246 Likes on 944 Posts

Worn compliance bushings can cause wandering on braking, unevenly worn tyres even after aligning, an alignment that won't hold spec, clunks, bumpsteer, or instability.

Any of that going on? If so...replace them with a suitable RUBBER bushing from Mugen or Spoon.

I would not buy the cheap polyurethane solid disc shaped bushing. Its a compliance bushing. It requires movement, deflection, and articulation. Solid poly would tear very fast and the constricted movement would make the car feel like shit.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777
They looks fine to me. They are not even close to warn out and I would not consider your bushing bad at all. I have seen s2000s with 20k miles and they have those tiny surface cracks on the compliance bushings. Even my 02 ap1 with 125,000 miles looks like yours and it's looks like they even at 50k miles when I baught the car.
I'll check them again to see if the cracks are only on the surface or go through the bushings.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Those aren't too bad. But if you are going to be replacing subframe, then yeah, I'd do these then for sure.

If you want zero maintenance, then get the mugen ones, not any of the poly types. Those would require some relubing from time to time. Many find its no big deal, but it ain't zero.

You need to press the old ones out, new ones in. There is an arrow in the rubber to show which way they go in. Arrow must point to the front bushing. Think of the arrow as if it were the bushings pivot that must be in line with front bushing pivot (front bushing bolt).
I believe the arrow is visible in the picture I linked. I'll keep that in mind if/when I'll be changing them.

Originally Posted by Charper732
I mean TBH...No one here can tell you if they are good to go or not. When you have an alignment done the tech will be able to tell if they are shot or not. They will flex very easily if they are worn out.
I did not ask the tech to inspect them when the car was aligned about 6 months ago. But of the alignments I've had done on the car in the last two years, the alignment specs of the car did not change from one to the other.

Originally Posted by B serious
Worn compliance bushings can cause wandering on braking, unevenly worn tyres even after aligning, an alignment that won't hold spec, clunks, bumpsteer, or instability.

Any of that going on? If so...replace them with a suitable RUBBER bushing from Mugen or Spoon.

I would not buy the cheap polyurethane solid disc shaped bushing. Its a compliance bushing. It requires movement, deflection, and articulation. Solid poly would tear very fast and the constricted movement would make the car feel like shit.
Ok, there is definitely wandering under braking and instability over bumps/imperfections on the road.

Quick Reply: Cracked Compliance bushings