S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cracked Shock Tower?! Need Opinions!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

That looks like one perfect pothole from catastrophic failure! Good thing you spotted it and I would have lost my shit if I made such discovery on my car.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

OP, I'm struggling to figure out what you're talking about. As Orjinal said, it looks like cracked seam sealer. Remove the carpeting and trim in your trunk and you'll see lots of that around the body welds and painted areas back there, too.

If you're concerned about catastrophic failure, there is a known weak point for welds in that area, but it's down in the wheel well area instead -- here's a link to that service bulletin -- it applies if you're on the race track often or autocross with very sticky tires: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/a...8&d=1151679436

Here's a few other photos from s2ki:

Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

It’s just the seam sealer.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sorry for the late responses

Originally Posted by windhund116
Did the car have a severe encounter with a curb, at one time? How's the front-end alignment?

Thanks!
I just recently bought the car so that is unknown to me, but defiantly possible. I'll be getting the alignment done soon so fingers crossed it's not to crooked.

Originally Posted by darcyw
you could hammer it from underneath with a dead blow and a flat 2x4, until it lays flat on the upper side on the shock tower. strip the paint off, clean, then weld the top side. The AP1's had an issue with the upper A arm mount pulling away from the chassis and the fix was this- I did it prophylactically on my AP1 years ago

darcy
This is going to be my plan. From the bottom side I can feel it's not perfectly flat. So ill remedy this with a long bold with flat steel fender washers and that should flatten it back out because my hammering arm never leads to good result. I'm still confused if I should get it welded or not after that because it could just be seam sealer.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
That looks like one perfect pothole from catastrophic failure! Good thing you spotted it and I would have lost my shit if I made such discovery on my car.
I don't think its near a catastrophe, the area still seems very strong.

Originally Posted by HarryD
OP, I'm struggling to figure out what you're talking about. As Orjinal said, it looks like cracked seam sealer. Remove the carpeting and trim in your trunk and you'll see lots of that around the body welds and painted areas back there, too.

If you're concerned about catastrophic failure, there is a known weak point for welds in that area, but it's down in the wheel well area instead -- here's a link to that service bulletin -- it applies if you're on the race track often or autocross with very sticky tires: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/a...8&d=1151679436
I am still unsure if its seam sealer or not. I'm beginning to think it might be because in the picture below it shows the color under the crack. It's grey which I believe is the color of seam sealer. Also if you look I accidentally chipped some more paint on the flat part of the strut tower and its grey under as well. What I don't understand is if it is seam sealer, that means they covered the entire top of the strut tower in that stuff and painted over? Also I'm still unsure why it distinctly bends down like shown in the picture if it is seam sealer, I feel like only metal would do that.

Originally Posted by Kyle
It’s just the seam sealer.
Check out my pictures above and let me know what you think.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

There is yellow on the strut mount stud, that car has been repainted!

Ok, looking at the rest of the pictures, they must mark the studs in yellow, never mind
Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
There is yellow on the strut mount stud, that car has been repainted!
Dude. I guess you didn't see that all the other photos of blue and silver cars also have the yellow paint on the studs (from the factory)?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Dude. I guess you didn't see that all the other photos of blue and silver cars also have the yellow paint on the studs (from the factory)?
haha, I literally just updated my comment after I noticed that.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:50 PM

OP, I had to clean out the gunk in mine to get a better look.

Both sides have hairline cracks on the inner side (closer to the dashboard/firewall), although the seam seal on my drivers side mostly looks clean and pristine, and my passenger side looks like it was applied a bit messier.

Here's a hairline crack in my paint, not as bad as yours (and it might even be something different) -- the focus was the best I could do in a dark garage:
Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I had to clean out the gunk in mine to get a better look.

Both sides have hairline cracks on the inner side (closer to the dashboard/firewall), although the seam seal on my drivers side mostly looks clean and pristine, and my passenger side looks like it was applied a bit messier.

Here's a hairline crack in my paint, not as bad as yours (and it might even be something different) -- the focus was the best I could do in a dark garage:
Ok well this gives me a bit more comfort. I'm beginning to lean to idea its just seam sealer. I'll prob just flatten it out like I said above and call it good. Getting that welded and repainted would be a hassle.

I spent a entire hour last night doing donuts getting a feel for the limits of the car and my strut didn't bust through my hood, so I think that was a pretty good test. Wet parking lot + quiet wet all seasons + stock exhaust = too much fun for too long
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

You're fine. Just throw some touch up paint in there and call it a day.