S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Crank Walk Adventures: Thrust Bearing Failure

Old 05-12-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Driver input plays a big role here as well:
​​​​​​-at no time should you be HOLDING the clutch pedal down during any driving situation. Any time you push the clutch pedal down, you should be releasing it in the same motion. I have seen drivers do this. It is not healthy for the thrust bearing, nor is it conducive to smooth operation of the car.
Even when approaching and then sitting briefly at a stop sign or red light?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

.006 is beautiful.

Clutch interlock bypass will go a long way to preventing thrust washer wear. Just remember you need to be aware as the car can be started in gear and take off on you, becoming a danger to everyone.

Does anyone know if there are no clutch-interlocks in other countries?
I've replaced the radio with a switch panel so I'm was thinking I'll just run the interlock switch wires there in addition to the switch on the clutch pedal. Then if someone else is driving the car I can just turn the switch off to prevent mistakes. Or I could do just the switch and use it as an anti theft feature.

I've been searching mouser / digikey and I can't pin the sockets and the pins used by the clutch interlock switch and wiring. Probably just buy another interlock switch because they are cheap and gut it so I can use the connector. Normally I'd just cut into the wiring but soldering in that area of the car will be hard and a broken connection in this area would cause the car not to start.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

.006 is beautiful.

Clutch interlock bypass will go a long way to preventing thrust washer wear. Just remember you need to be aware as the car can be started in gear and take off on you, becoming a danger to everyone.

Italy doesn't. Well at least on the manual I had which was a 2016 lancia. Started up just fine in gear :0
Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

I checked my 05 Longblock today, 0.005. I will be resting easy. I will start checking every S2000 I get into the garage from this point forward.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I honestly think Honda nor any dealer is even aware of the problem.
This is a recognised problem in the UK, it seemed to affect just the MY08 and MY09 cars (which in the UK are all AP1 with 2.0L engines).

There is no definitve answer for the number affected, but 3-5% is a figure most people agree on. It is significant that a number of cars in the UK in 2010-2012 had replacement engines under warranty as the originals started to fail, and then (in a small number) the replacement engines were replaced!

Check this out, if you have the patience:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...owners-876045/

Last edited by ValveBounce; 07-31-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No clutch interlock on the UK cars.

Last edited by ValveBounce; 07-31-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

We know some US cars had thrust washer installed backwards from the factory. Obviously no amount of interlock bypass is gonna keep those cars running forever.

So perhaps since uk doesn't have interlock, the 2.0 uk motors that had this issue were all ones with backwards washers?

So an interlock bypass would be useful to prevent wear on a correctly installed thrust washer...

Meanwhile, to prevent an inattentive alignment tech from driving my car off the lift when they start it gear without the clutch, I plan to connect my clutch interlock harness to the brake light switch (instead of bypassing with a wire), so pressing brake is required to start car.

Disconnect clutch harness from clutch interlock switch. Jump wires from each lead on interlock harness to corresponding wire on brake pedal switch.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Meanwhile, to prevent an inattentive alignment tech from driving my car off the lift when they start it gear without the clutch, I plan to connect my clutch interlock harness to the brake light switch (instead of bypassing with a wire), so pressing brake is required to start car.

Disconnect clutch harness from clutch interlock switch. Jump wires from each lead on interlock harness to corresponding wire on brake pedal switch.
Did you ever end up doing this? I am thinking of bypassing my interlock but I would like to have some idiot proofing in the form of a linkage to the brake pedal.

Last edited by jwzimm; 10-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jwzimm
Did you ever end up doing this? I am thinking of bypassing my interlock but I would like to have some idiot proofing in the form of a linkage to the brake pedal.
When I bypassed my clutch interlock I wired it up to require pressing a momentary switch button (that is hidden). If the button isn't pushed the clutch interlock is _not_ bypassed. But the car can still be started by pressing in the clutch. Pretty sure I followed this DIY on s2ki.

So I have no concerns about having someone else drive my car. Sure they'll put some excess wear on the thrust washer but it will be negligible if the engine is warm, etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
When I bypassed my clutch interlock I wired it up to require pressing a momentary switch button (that is hidden). If the button isn't pushed the clutch interlock is _not_ bypassed. But the car can still be started by pressing in the clutch. Pretty sure I followed this DIY on s2ki.

So I have no concerns about having someone else drive my car. Sure they'll put some excess wear on the thrust washer but it will be negligible if the engine is warm, etc.
Now that is a damn good idea!! That way I can retain full functionality of the interlock but have the ability to momentarily bypass the switch and start the car. It would require both hands but that is good as you would not be able to accidentally fire the starter. You would have to really think about using it which would also allow you to ensure the transmission is in neutral.

It should be very simple to do. That guide has you disable the original switch on the pedal. In order to implement your idea you would just vampire tap both wires going to the interlock and wire up the momentary switch to them. That way the clutch switch can still function as normal but you can also close the circuit with the momentary switch thereby bypassing the clutch switch and allowing the starter to engage.

Now I just need to find a good momentary switch and location to place it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Crank Walk Adventures: Thrust Bearing Failure