S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

@sk2_bri Perhaps the gauge that was recommended to use is not the correct tool to find crank case vacuum information? Or as you said without knowing what the numbers should be to begin with everything I'm doing is a moot point ...
Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

@Thomas Guide The numbers aren't in the service manual, someone with a fresh longblock or extremely low mileage would have to check. I stated the numbers I saw.

Which most honda motors seem to be around -5 to -7 psi, or -10 to -15 inhg.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
@Thomas Guide The numbers aren't in the service manual, someone with a fresh longblock or extremely low mileage would have to check. I stated the numbers I saw.

Which most honda motors seem to be around -5 to -7 psi, or -10 to -15 inhg.
I think we're getting somewhere, so I found this thread which indicates 18-22 inhg as the range without leaks (I presume they mean unboosted):

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...-idle-1083714/

I'm reading 6 inhg as seen in my pics!

I've tried using propone to find the leak with no luck. I was thinking of trying a smoke machine but am concerned about leaving an oil residue inside from the smoke.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

They are talking about intake manifold pressure in that thread.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This, along with replacing both of my VTEC sensor gaskets worked great for me.

I don't have accurate numbers like you, but I went from "This f***ing ap1 burns oil while it isn't even running" to "Holy shit I just drove 100 miles and ran autoX back to back and I haven't burned a drop of oil"

Thanks for your knowledge!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mostly on topic, but I recently experienced my own form of oil burning issues that I wouldn't have been able to solve without popping the valve cover off. It's pretty unlikely anyone else has this issue but not impossible. Did some much needed maintenance on the car recently and filmed it, also came to find one of my tube seals had backed off causing some oil loss, luckily i think i caught it before the car started misfiring... check it out! feedback is welcome.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
. check it out! feedback is welcome.
Nice Editing, I would say Pick up the speed by like a 1/4 to a 1/3. But overall nicely put together. Also your valve cover came out great after degreasing. I've subbed, looking forward to what you come up with.

oh also... bandaids suck, superglue for the win.. lol

Last edited by Deckoz; 02-12-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Nice Editing, I would say Pick up the speed by like a 1/4 to a 1/3. But overall nicely put together. Also your valve cover came out great after degreasing. I've subbed, looking forward to what you come up with.

oh also... bandaids suck, superglue for the win.. lol
Thanks for the feedback! Speed in terms of increasing speed on time lapse or?

Last edited by Jae2K; 02-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
@Thomas Guide I went back to your thread on burning oil which included the OBD results. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24541747

You mentioned in the original post that you had good compression and leakdown results so rule those out. But it looks like you were only seeing 7-8 inHg vacuum in the intake manifold at idle (versus normal of 18-22 inHg). Not surprising then that you only have 6 inHg in the crankcase. Do you have a vacuum leak in the intake somewhere?
@sk2_bri Thanks for looking into my issue like that!! As you can see I've been very methodical in my approach to isolate 2 different issues (oil consumption and rich fuel condition/puffing sound from exhaust) through a process of elimination and this thread has been very helpful to get to that point (and I hope someone else will learn something from everything I'm doing as well).

But a few data points need to be clarified, according to the Service Manual, the MAP sensor reading at temperature and idle is 8.3-14.2 in.Hg. So I'm not sure where the 18-22 in.Hg everyone is referencing is coming from? My OBDII scans from 2 months ago and last night, I'm just under the range. If I understand what Deckoz is saying, there is no known range from the crank case vacuum and unless a few other owners post their numbers, we have to guesstimate what that is...

However, in the past couple of months my fuel trims have been steadily climbing, note the scans below from yesterday. It keeps rising everytime I reset the ECU through this process of elimination of "fixes".

I'm going to check my valves adjustment again this weekend, and I have a spare MAP sensor I'll swap out. But other then getting a smoke machine and replacing the primary O2 sensor (and maybe coil packs) I'm at a loss of what's going on or do next as I've already done a slew of things. Being that I'm trying to find oil consumption which I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere and my fuel trims are going haywire. (I cleaned fuel injectors the other day and fuel trims went higher after that, but it completely resolved the puffing sound the car has been making from the exhaust, one injector was flowing 4% lower then the others).

Would getting my hands on a smoke machine be helpful here or a waste of money (because the propane trick didn't do anything)?

Sorry for all the questions guys and I appreciate everyone's time looking into this, but I know the technical data I've compiled these past two months is telling me something but I can't figure out how to connect the dots...

Fuel Trims at idle after being warmed up:

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Dude. Change your primary O2 ^^

Quick Reply: This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.