S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
This is the ship that most of us are in. '03 with 210K miles. Using half 0w40 and half 15w50, netting a 7.5w45 weight oil has helped.

A good fix would be to create more vacuum and a better ring seal. Krank vents achieved this, however it make the seals cluck at idle, which I can't imagine is good.

I've been thinking about somehow restricting the breather tube air flow capacity in order to increase vacuum, like inserting a second pcv valve in that hose, but so far it's been easier to just add oil.
I was thinking about the same myself.. I was actually wondering why we can't just block it off entirely?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about double posting

I am about to order the gasket pieces, about the oil cap, I got two different quottes,

One seems affordable, 9 euros, the other 25 and seems not the original since is ugly.

Could you experts please advice? All my order of gaskets etc will come from coxmotor, the one who supplies the ugly cap

Affordable ( not shown) https://www.lingshondaparts.com/part...ber=PFKL315510

Expensive and ugly, please do click https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hond...il-filler-cap/

GENUINE HONDA S2000 OIL FILLER CAP

£21.11 £21.11 ex.VATEnter your Registration Number (GB) or VIN (Non-GB)*Required. We check all parts for compatibility with your vehicle via Honda EPC.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Filigranas
Sorry about double posting

I am about to order the gasket pieces, about the oil cap, I got two different quottes,

One seems affordable, 9 euros, the other 25 and seems not the original since is ugly.

Could you experts please advice? All my order of gaskets etc will come from coxmotor, the one who supplies the ugly cap

Affordable ( not shown) https://www.lingshondaparts.com/part...ber=PFKL315510

Expensive and ugly, please do click https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hond...il-filler-cap/

GENUINE HONDA S2000 OIL FILLER CAP

£21.11 £21.11 ex.VATEnter your Registration Number (GB) or VIN (Non-GB)*Required. We check all parts for compatibility with your vehicle via Honda EPC.
Find out if you have a crankcase vacuum leak (through one of the gaskets), otherwise replacing all those parts won't help you.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The Cox one is another part number for an oil cap for another car, pretty sure all oil caps fits between different models though.
Just ask to get 15613-PC6-000 and they should be able to supply the gasket instead.

We said it many times before though, changing all these things will probably not do much
Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

...though I will add if the cap is old, new gasket will make tightening the cap much easier and much less torque needed. Meaning not so hard to unscrew later.

My old gasket was so hard I had to crank it down to get it tight. Later after several heat cycles, removing cap was actually painful for my fingers trying to apply enough removal force. Now its like butta...
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Out of curiosity I went out to Harbor Freight and bought a vacuum gauge to see if I had a crankcase vacuum leak. I measured vacuum as the breather hose at -14hg steady at idle. Just checked my dipstick and it looks like I've lost a quart of oil in 350 miles of street driving/commuting. So unfortunately it looks like replacing the gas cap or any of the other gaskets in the cylinder head is not going to fix my oil burning... It must be getting past the oil rings.

This is an 01 engine with 146K miles btw.
Just to follow up... I decided to do a compression test and all 4 cylinders were between 160 and 180. After adding a teaspoon of oil to the chamber all of the cylinders increased 20 PSI. So I guess that is pretty clear evidence that its my piston rings. 4 years ago my car did about 200 PSI across the board on the same gauge.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
Out of curiosity I went out to Harbor Freight and bought a vacuum gauge to see if I had a crankcase vacuum leak. I measured vacuum as the breather hose at -14hg steady at idle. Just checked my dipstick and it looks like I've lost a quart of oil in 350 miles of street driving/commuting. So unfortunately it looks like replacing the gas cap or any of the other gaskets in the cylinder head is not going to fix my oil burning... It must be getting past the oil rings.

This is an 01 engine with 146K miles btw.
Soviet, I've been trying to figure out how to measure my crankcase pressure, can you advise:

Can you post a picture/link of the gauge you used?
Was your measurement in IN-Hg or CM-Hg?
Is 14 HG good or bad? What should it be?

thanks,
-Tom

Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are some good pics of before and after swapping out the oil cap seal. Mine was flat and hard but still had good crank case vacuum. First pic will be the vacuum with the old gasket, last pic with a new gasket, they're exactly the same, which was a little surprising.

Vacuum with old seal in place

Old hard flat seal

Old seal vs new seal

New seal

Vacuum with new seal in place.
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New compresion and leak test here, new pics of today

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24577227

Last edited by Filigranas; 03-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Here are some good pics of before and after swapping out the oil cap seal. Mine was flat and hard but still had good crank case vacuum. First pic will be the vacuum with the old gasket, last pic with a new gasket, they're exactly the same, which was a little surprising...
Nice analysis treimche -- also surprising to me. Looks like you're debunking a myth for the oil cap seal, at least.

If you had time, it would have been fun to see how the pressure held with the oil cap and *no* seal whatsoever. I wonder if that would make a difference either, since the oil cap itself is threaded in (so were we assuming air is escaping past the threads this whole time??).

Quick Reply: This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.