S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you can only swap the 04-05 AP2 valve cover with AP1's
Old 01-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
I was under the Impression that you can not switch the valvecovers between AP1 and AP1, because the eraly modells have 2 camsahft sensor locations and the later ones only 1 ?
04-05 F22C has two cam/tdc sensors like 00-03

Originally Posted by masterkorey
i think you can only swap the 04-05 AP2 valve cover with AP1's
true, unless are doing a Kpro conversion sensor swap, which switches to 06-09 single TDC if I am not mistaken
Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 269 Likes on 196 Posts

Sorry, i am sometimes forgetting about the F22C engine from my european point of view.
Ohkay, the (US) F22 valve cover will fit my euro F20 from 2002. Good to know!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's only the 04-05 that fits just like Deckoz said.
F20 or F22 doesn't matter, they both use the same valve cover.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
yes you can check vacuum from the front breather while the engine is running at idle. opposing that, you can block off your pcv or ensure its functional first with the engine off and put 3-5psi into the breather to listen for air to find leaks in a quiet environment
Can you elaborate just a bit more on this please, still not clear...how do you 'block off the pcv'? Or 'ensure it is functional first with the engine off'. I'm just not clear on these instructions before injecting 3-5psi in... do you just stick an air hose nozzle into the breather tube?

I'm chasing the same exact oil loss thing and this past weekend changed out all the gaskets and O-Rings (dipstick, both TPC, new PCV... etc) and am monitoring but this test is exactly what I've been looking for to help narrow down the leak.

thanks Deckoz!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Can you elaborate just a bit more on this please, still not clear...how do you 'block off the pcv'? Or 'ensure it is functional first with the engine off'. I'm just not clear on these instructions before injecting 3-5psi in... do you just stick an air hose nozzle into the breather tube?

I'm chasing the same exact oil loss thing and this past weekend changed out all the gaskets and O-Rings (dipstick, both TPC, new PCV... etc) and am monitoring but this test is exactly what I've been looking for to help narrow down the leak.

thanks Deckoz!
Hi, you should block the pcv off, or front breather and use one or the other to put air into. You should use a regulated supply, so you don't blow your seals k5ut by over psi. With a regulated supply, the psi should stabilize.

You want the psi to stabilize but continue to output, so that the noise stops being produced by the hose, as the pressure in hose and engine are equal, leaving the air escaping the engine as the noise producer.

its the same principal as a leak down, but low pressure and only listening for the air escaping, vs trying to meaure it...
Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

To block off the pcv, you would simply take a short section of rubber hose, and jamb something in it to seal it off. A golf tee, a bolt, whatever. Then plug this into pcv in place of its usual hose.

Because of this thread, I purchased a new oil filler cap o ring from the dealer (Majestic, online). It was just a few bucks. The old one was hard and stiff. It was always very difficult to unscrew the oil cap. Now you can feel the new o ring compress as you tighten cap, and it comes off easy. Its easy to see how I could have had an air leak.

Everyone with oil consumption issues should replace their oil cap gasket. Its low hanging fruit.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

@Deckoz , @Car Analogy : Would injecting smoke into the front breather be a better option for ease of detection? If so, can you idle the car using your method and do this or would it cause problems?

Or alternately, how would one use a smoke machine to test for a leak? Meaning, where do you stick what where...

Thanks, this issue you have is something I'm actively trying to figure out with mine as well.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a customer report that his oil cap gasket fixed his oil consumption.

Any seal that affects crankcase pressure can affect the rings ability to seal.

-oil cap
-pcv valve
-dipstick orings

Can someone post a photo of the underside of the oil cap and it's gasket? Mine's flat. I would assume there would be a slightly protruding gasket but it seems like there is a soft rubber gasket that's along the flat underside of mine, so I'm not sure if I've got it or not.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

The gasket is a square sided o ring. So its flat. Might be easy to miss seeing it.

Quick Reply: This is crazy, but Oil Burn? The Story of conquering phantoms.