S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

custom cold air on stock intake box..

Old 11-03-2001, 09:44 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i first tried to fabricate a carbon fiber ram air duct ala spoon/mingster/sev, but that didnt work cuz i couldnt close the hood properly and when i started shaving off the carbon fiber to mold it properly, it started to crack.. this was my first experience with cf and i had no idea what a pain in the arse it was to work with.
then during the fall colors meet i saw jimmy's yellow s2k with the mg racing carbon fiber intake box and cold air duct, i started thinking about making my own little cold air modification.
i then obtained a k&n filter from a fellow board member (thanks jordan!) and while inspecting the intake box and the space underneath next to the radiator fan i realized that i could cut a small hole and make my own cold air ventilation duct.

i had the following pieces lying around the garage so i ghetto-rigged them together to make this piece.
1. intake adapter from a toyota supra - this piece turns the oem square intake into a round unit so that a k&n could fit onto it.
2. cold air extension from a cold air kit (which im not sure of what car)
3. rubber intake hose from my old turbo kits lying around
4. 2 #48 clamps

i first cut a small square into the bottom of the box and then bolted on the supra adapter to the bottom of it.
then i attached the intake piping (ala mg racing) to it and it ended at the two small vents on the lower splash guard.

here's a few pics of what i did..

im sure the intake is getting alot more fresh air because of this small mod, but i dont have a temperature gauge to tell if it really working or not.

the piping leans against the fan protector cover, but is in no danger of touching the blades nor does it vibrate or rub.

im considering blocking off the oem air horn so that it only draws in air from the cold air duct rather from both sources.

im going to fabricate something that'll resemble a scoop near the splash guard to force air in, sorta like a ram air type thing.

anyways.. it started with an idea to make something better, and this is the result.. just shows you what happens when you think outside the box a little.. heheh.

thanks to mg racing for the idea, and jordan for the filter

brian

ps- if you wanted to make your own piece, i would guess that it would cost you under $40 to make it.. the hardest part would be locating the misc. parts.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bkw
I'm all about making a CAI for my car too.
Where did you get the tubing?
Looks very nice btw
Old 11-04-2001, 09:15 AM

Hey nice job, very creative.

I'm very new to all this stuff, can you explain (in idiot proof words) the advantages of having the cold air ram into the intake - i assume it's for performance - but how much difference does it make.

Thanks for putting up with newbie questions.

Also, off subject I've had my s2000 'drop out' when it hits vtec once or twice - it's as if a limiter cuts in or something - it sure changed the color of my underwear first time it happened. Is this a familiar problem?

Joel
Old 11-04-2001, 10:01 AM

griffin, you shouldn't rev up your car until the engine temp shows 3 bars. Before that, it'll cut out at 6 or 7k because the engine isn't warm.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:04 AM

BKW, you need to get that RM lip painted yellow.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:25 PM

this is just outta curiousity, but do u guys do these custom mods because it's fun or what? i mean i understand doing this by urself for the kicks.. but i hope it's not to save money. u already got a s2k, no point in saving this kinda money now.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:27 PM
pfb

Originally posted by WRS2K
Actually, I like it black. Kind of gives it that purposeful race-car look...
Old 11-04-2001, 07:01 PM
Spammer

Originally posted by WRS2K
Dont LISTEN TO HIM,. IT looks TITE black!
Old 11-04-2001, 07:59 PM
bkw

theres no way i wouldve painted the spoiler nor recommend anyone who purchases the spoiler to paint it if their car is lowered like mine.

i rub the spoiler at least once a day. that includes driveways, uneven rolling pavement, etc. i make sure to park at least 1' away from parking blocks. i have yet to hit a parking block (knock on wood), yet i have two large cracks and the underside is worn to an almost razor sharp edge. if i had painted the spoiler, all the paint would be chipped or peeling causing an even more unsightly horror than flat black.

anyways, i like it black.. it'll match my upcoming carbon fiber hood and mugen carbon fiber hardtop.. ok, ok, im starting to dream a little, i havent won the lottery yet!
Old 11-05-2001, 11:44 AM

bkw, what's your clearance at the lip?

Quick Reply: custom cold air on stock intake box..