S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder FRP Gouge - Salvageable?

Old 08-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cylinder FRM Gouge - Salvageable?

X

Last edited by sk2_bri; 02-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

i wouldnt worry about it
Old 08-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Depends on how much you value your reliability. I have delt with nicked cylinders before. Being that its nicked horizontally and not vertically is a plus. But it looks deep? hard to tell from the picture. If it were me, I would hone it to knock down any edges or use what you can and run it. Getting rid of any edges would be a must. It will either A: be fine (albeit, burn a little more oil) or B: cause a hot spot and eventually cause too much PTW or ring clearance and you'll loose compression on that cylinder...assuming FRM doesn't delaminate like Nikasil does

Last edited by Charper732; 08-19-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by sk2_bri
Thanks for the response. I read your engine rebuild thread and the success you had with honing the cylinders in that one. It was, however, sad to learn about the untimely demise of that engine.

it was user error not a failure in the rebuild, for the record
Old 08-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Seems like maybe I can get some more life out of it.

The gouge seems pretty deep, maybe 10-20 mils at the center and it's about 3/4" long. Do you suggest just a local honing of the high spots, or the full cylinder? If just locally, I assume I would still need to pull the block?
The correct way would be to pull it down and have a machine shop do it, but at that point you might as well sleeve it. I would just repair it the best I could in the car, But just know, it takes a VERY fine hone. I have yet to find a machine shop that had it, outside of honda specialty shops...and its not cheap. If you use a regular hone that thing will burn oil like there is no tomorrow.

again, Im not there so don't know how it feels. As back-woods as it sounds, some very fine sand paper and careful maneuvering could get the edges down without making the cylinder out of round.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

What have you got to lose? You can either run it, and see what happens, in which worst case is it dies and you need a new engine, or you just get the new engine without even trying.

So why not try?

I would do the redneck thing suggested and knock away any high spots as carefully as possible by hand with sand paper. Sand sideways, not up and down. Use very fine sandpaper. Only sand the high spots, not the cylinder itself. This isn't bodywork sanding to blend imperfections, its just making sure ring doesn't catch on anything. So you don't want paper to touch any of the surrounding material, just those high spots.

One advantage this has over honing is you aren't touching the rest of the bore, just this one damaged spot.

Obviously this engine isn't going to last as long as if thus never happened. The question is simply, how long will it last. That may end up being a very long time.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. I think I have some 1000 grit and 3000 grit wet sandpaper. I'll lubricate it with some ATF and just go for the high spots. Initially and along the way I plan to check for high spots with a precision straight edge and feeler gauges.

Any thoughts on how to prevent or remove debris from the cylinder?
3000 grit will be almost pointless. 1000 should do it. Stuff rags on the piston or use some tape to keep any debris from getting into the rings. Use rags and ATF fluid to clean the bore afterwards.

Last edited by Charper732; 08-20-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM

disassemble it and do it right or assemble it as is and just drive it

the in between stuff is where you waste time and still come out with nothing to show for it
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I'd be having a go as discussed above too. +1 let us know how it eventuates
Old 08-21-2018, 04:25 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

What a bummer. We have all done things like this. I know I have anyway. I hope it works for you. I bet it works out fine.

I have not changed the retainers in either of my ap1s. I inspected them, and they are not cracked. I was convinced by comments that Billman made in these pages that unless the tell-tale signs of cracking are observable on careful inspection, the ap1 retainers are fine and the thing to do is to leave the retainers alone. When you buy an ap1, I think the first thing to do is to pull the cover and do a valve adjustment. While you are in there, inspect the retainers carefully. If they are ok, button it up and enjoy the car. The only thing that causes the retainers to crack is a mechanical over-rev. If you are the only one driving the car you will know if you have mechanically over rev'd the engine and you can open it up again and inspect for cracked retainers. If they are cracked replace them. If not, leave them alone. The ap1 retainer issue is something that leads to burned valves over a long period of time operating with cracked retainers that can result in the valves not closing properly which prevents the valve from dissipating heat properly into the head at the valve seat. Sudden catastrophic failure caused by healthy ap1 retainers is not the concern. If that was the concern, then yes, I would be in favor of replacing them as preventative maintenance. If you have a massive over-rev you will have catastrophic failure no matter whether you have ap1 or ap2 retainers. In my humble opinion, this ap1 retainer thing falls squarely in the old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fiix it." Others see it differently, I understand. But, that's my take. The key is careful inspection.

Quick Reply: Cylinder FRP Gouge - Salvageable?