S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder wall gouge PLEASE HELP!!!! IM A ROOKIE

Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder wall gouge PLEASE HELP!!!! IM A ROOKIE

I posted this on another forum but i dont think its active so ill try again here.

This is my first project, and i have nothing but time to get this s2000 running. Before swapping engines i want to try and do my first rebuild (i have put air in tires is the most ive ever done really mechanically, but you have to learn sometime). I have been taking my time with it, got the engine and tranny droped, engine is on a stand. Today i finally got the head off and 3 of my cylinders look outstanding....1 of them though.......not so good.
I have a more than a scratch, its a gouge on my # 4 piston wall. Ive read if your fingernail can feel it scraping across the surface its bad and needs to be fixed. I dont need my fingernail to tell me there is a gouge going vertical along the wall.I can feel it with gloves on just rubbing it. I will add a picture ( my tablet sucks at pictures and distorted alot of them so i really only have 1 visible picture that isnt warped to hell).

My question is do you think this can be bored out? has anyone seen crazy gouges ( not a fingernail scratch) and fixed it in a f20c? DO i have any other options if it cant be bored? is my block ruined?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

That will need sleeved.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cylinder walls are FRM- fiber reinforced metal. You can bore such a minute small amount of material from them and that's about it. Your only option from what I hear and read online is either get a new block or get these sleeves pressed out and press in iron sleeves. That's it. This is just from what I have read myself in looking for long term solutions down the road should my bottom end die out on me. I was looking at the rebuilt block from inline pro. It's like 3-4K bucks. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricLovato
... or get these sleeves pressed out and press in iron sleeves
FYI the metal matrix composite liners of the F20C and F22 are cast-in. They use Aluminum oxide fibers and graphite packed into the rough shape of the cylinder, which are infiltrated during the casting step. You cannot press these out, they'd have to be machined away, at which point you're left without any reinforcement at all. Iron sleeves are usually installed as a replacement for the lack of material properties of the bare aluminum...
Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Im not giving up on this block yet, im having to much fun tinkering with it and breaking it down.

It looks like my only option is to get it resleeved, when you do this, do you do this to all the cylinders? Should i do this to all of them? im about to send it to a machine shop and really have no idea what to ask him to do to this.

PS..Anyone know if there is a company i can possibly ship this to to get it machined? I live in a reaaallllyy small town far away from big cities, i could drive to nashville TN if anyone knows anyone reputable there.

THANKS AGAIN SOOOO MUCH!!! THESE S2KI forums have saved my butt so many times!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lewiss2k
Thanks for your feedback. Im not giving up on this block yet, im having to much fun tinkering with it and breaking it down.

It looks like my only option is to get it resleeved, when you do this, do you do this to all the cylinders? Should i do this to all of them? im about to send it to a machine shop and really have no idea what to ask him to do to this.

PS..Anyone know if there is a company i can possibly ship this to to get it machined? I live in a reaaallllyy small town far away from big cities, i could drive to nashville TN if anyone knows anyone reputable there.

THANKS AGAIN SOOOO MUCH!!! THESE S2KI forums have saved my butt so many times!!!!!!
You have to get them all sleeved, usually at this time people put in aftermarket pistons. I'm on unsure if you can use OEM honda Pistons. As far as sleeving goes you can contact Inlinepro and Darton Sleeves are two that come to my mind of the top of my head.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have it sleeved and run our InlinePRO signature series short block builds personally. Feel free to shoot us an email or a private message. We can help get you squared away.

Chase@inlinePro.com
Christian@inlinePro.com
Info@inlinePro.com

If you can here's the number also. Phone: 703-455-5805 ask for Christian.

We offer exclusive discount pricing for S2ki members. Just make sure you mention this if you decide to call.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I applaud you for diving in to this project. I did the same years ago as a young guy although I was working with a friend who had some experience rebuilding engines. We rebuilt a Toyota Landcruiser straight six. I learned a lot on that project and the engine ran well when we were done. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. I think you will have a lot of fun with this.