S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Developed a strange noise

Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Developed a strange noise

Hi

I'm new here, because I'm stuck with a noise problem on my 2006 EU S2000. It's stock, and has around 155K (KMs) on it. I got it in 2013 with 80K on the counter. Used it as my daily until 2017. Since then it's in storage during the winter from Oktober until April, and in spring/summer I use it around 50% of the time as my daily. (The other 50% I'm happy with my 228i Beamer). I have had no problems with it, other then the regular maintenance, especially tires and brake pads/discs.

Last September I steadily heard a noise developing. When the weather's good, I drive it top-less on B-roads to/from work. I didn't hear the noise with the top down at first. It's when I closed the top and went on the freeway that I started hearing it. It's now 6 months later and I can now also hear the noise with the top down. It's friggin' anoying, especially on the freeway and starts getting louder at around 105 Km/h (65mph) and stays there. Long distance drives are now torture.....

So what kind of noise ?

I would call it a whining noise. But not like a supercharger or faulty fan/timing belt. It's mostly on the right side of the car. Difficult to pinpoint however. It's definitely not related to the top, it's just more noticeable with the top up. I also have a hardtop, which doesn't change the noise when that's on. Again, you just hear it better inside the cabin.
Like I said, it's starts getting loud at 65mph, I don't always hear/notice it below that. But my Honda dealer says he can hear it all the time. When I rev the engine (shift down/up) the noise doesn't change. Same story when rolling on the freeway at 65mph, and I press the clutch pedal. The sounds stays, and the pitch/loudness doesn't change. Only after the cars fall below 65 is when the sound changes (less loud/noticable). It seems directly related to the car's actual speed on te road. That's why I first started looking for wind-related things. But the top/hardtop was already ruled out. I have checked the wheel-fenders, loose bits, mirrors, windows etc etc. Nothing obvious. Car has been checked by the dealer on the underside too. No obvious holes or loose bits.

My dealer's technician now thinks more towards the driveline-output. Since revving the engine or changing gears doesn't change the sound he thinks it might be related to something in the driveline, after the clutch. So, gearbox, propshaft, diff, axles etc. But not the wheel bearings since those were checked and I would have noticed it while driving and cornering.

But, that's still a lot of parts. And taking apart he whole driveline from the gearbox back to the wheels is going to be a huge project. Not to mention the cost. I'm looking for more answers to what it can be.
I wish I could describe the noise better. I can't. I could try to record it, but the S2000 regular noises (wind, engine, tires) could overpower the noise itself. I still might try it.

What I'm hoping for is that someone on S2Ki here recognizes the issue and might provide some answers or info. Please feel free to jump in. It's very much appreciated.

The sun is out tomorrow, and I already know I'm going to be annoyed. It spoils the desire to go out for a drive. I'm avoiding highways like hell, which I have been doing for years now anyway. But unfortunately I don't live next door to the Nurburgring or the Alps. Highways are sometimes needed.

Thanks !!!
Richard
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Does it sound like it's coming from the tunnel ?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Difficult to say. Sounds more like it's comming from the outside, rightside. That's why I first thought it was wind related, and not so much the driveline. It could still be related to wind. But when I pass a large truck on the highway, which blocks the wind, the sound doesn't go away, or changes. It's constant, whatever direction I'm driving. Ok most of the wind will hit the front, but I would not expect it to be such a constant noise if it's wind related.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if it’s speed dependent and not coming from the rear of the car, it’s the tail shaft/output shaft bearings. I had the same issue on my car and replaced them last summer...Lots of information on it in other posts. Not a huge repair and can be done without pulling the transmission.

Just saw saw this post the other day too with the same problem: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...rnage-1193941/
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

It's either the trans or the diff. If its the trans, its probably the output shaft bearings.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Will the sound change if you change gears, or is it the same in 4th, 5th or 6th?
Levi
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Ok this might help a lot. Will pass it on to my dealer.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Will the sound change if you change gears, or is it the same in 4th, 5th or 6th?
Levi
It's the same in all gears. So when at 65mph you hear it, I shift up or down, engine RPM changes (duh). But the noise stays exactly the same, since the car's speed it still sorta 65mph. It's definitely speed related.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Be sure to let us know when you figure it out.
Levi
Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 AM

Car's back from the dealer. He thinks he found something.

They have another AP1+ there. So he put both cars on the bridge, to spin the wheels and drivetrain. No wind, or roadnoise then. He listened for a difference between my and his car. He says there is a clear sound coming from the gearbox in my car. Not good news.

He still suspects it's just the bearings inside the gearbox. But he cannot rule out it's related to the box itself. Gears and bearings can be replaced, but the box itself is another story. If it's damaged beyond repair I need to get another gearbox. Getting a new one is sorta impossible. So I'm then left with trying to get a 2nd hand one. Not much of those around, especially in good condition. Let's hope it's just the bearings or gears.

BTW, is the gearbox for an AP2 (2.2 litre) different then the AP1/AP+ 2litre ? I seem to remember the gearings are different, for pre 2004 models.

He's first going to figure out the intial costs of taking it apart, and determining exactly what it is inside the gearbox. Then he will order parts and replace them, during which time the car is in bits at his place.

I honestly hope it just the bearings. I cannot see myself searching around for another gearbox. Just don't have the time or knowledge. I drive cars, I don't fiddle around with them.

I drove top-up the dealer on the highway and I even think the sound is getting worse. Or it's just my mind, but the way it is now the car's basically undrivable. And difficult to sell, unless I write off half of the value. Which also means I have a target for the repair cost. If repairing is more expensive then the money I loose when selling it now, then I'm selling it. Breaks my heart to do so, but it's not worth it.

I just read the S2000 replacement is also not going to happen. And there aren't many roadsters that fit the spot. Miata/Fiat Spider is too small and not enough power. Z4 is too soft. Boxter/718 is way above my pricelimit, and so is the F-Type or 4C. Audi TT is too girlish. Feel really depressed....

More later

Quick Reply: Developed a strange noise