S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Difficult gear removal & rolling resistance

Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Difficult gear removal & rolling resistance

I've done a bunch of searching without much luck.

Scenario: In lower gears 1st and 2nd mainly sometimes 3rd as it is harder to tell.

If I'm moving in gear then push the clutch in, it is difficult at times to remove the car from the selected gear into neutral. It almost feels the same as trying to remove it from gear without depressing the clutch.

Also, although not every time. (Again moving in gear). Most noticeable in 1st when I push the clutch in I feel some rolling resistance for a few seconds. At this same time of the rolling resistance it is difficult to remove the car from gear so they are directly related.

A possible syncro issue? While I feel the rolling resistance (clutch depressed in gear) if I rev the engine it revs freely. Seems like the tranny is the source of the problem.

Clutch fluid was recently changed.

45-46K miles on the car.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging entirely. Mine did that until I had a new clutch put in (not for that reason, I simply wanted a light flywheel with a stronger clutch.)

I recommend bleeding the clutch - there might be some air in the lines that hinders full movement of the release fork. Did this happen BEFORE the clutch fluid was changed? Perhaps the person who did it didn't get all the air out.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

That's a possibility. What gets me is the engine rev's freely when it's happening without trying to make the car move fwd.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It's been a few years since I had to deal with this, but that sounds similar to what I was experiencing. I think it's because a material's stiction (static friction) is higher than it's dynamic friction... So revving the engine breaks the clutch loost from the pp/flywheel, and there's no more issue.

For me, it was easiest to take the car out of gear if I blipped the throttle or engine speed hit idle speed. For the difficulty of getting the car into gear, putting it into 2nd first, and then 1st really worked.

Replacing the clutch - which didn't involve any changes to the tranny - fixed it and I haven't had an issue since. If a proper clutch fluid bleed doesn't fix it, possibly the OEM clutch used in the MY00 cars has an issue? I don't think you need to worry about synchros, IMO.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input.

I will re-do the fluid and see if that helps.

Initially I was thinking the same thing (clutch not fully disengaging right away). That's probably what it is.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Elistan,Jun 2 2005, 03:12 PM
It's been a few years since I had to deal with this, but that sounds similar to what I was experiencing. I think it's because a material's stiction (static friction) is higher than it's dynamic friction... So revving the engine breaks the clutch loost from the pp/flywheel, and there's no more issue.

For me, it was easiest to take the car out of gear if I blipped the throttle or engine speed hit idle speed. For the difficulty of getting the car into gear, putting it into 2nd first, and then 1st really worked.
After some farting around

This is exactly my problem. If I give a blip of the throttle while the clutch pedal is to the floor it solves the "sticking" problem. Seems like the disc is still touching the flywheel while the clutch is depressed, although it's not every time. Possibly a warped clutch disc? Air in the clutch line not fully disengaging the clutch?

Anyone have any more insight to this? I honestly can not remember if it was doing this before I had the fluid changed or not.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You might want to eliminate the shift linkage and tranny before proceding further. Can you pull the tranny "OUT" of gear by leaving the clutch alone and just letting off the throttle (make sure you don't go any further than neutral when doing this? You should be able to do this quite easily. If you cannot, then you must also consider that there is something sticking in the shift linkage or the tranny itself. Perhaps the linkage or the gears themselves are not sliding on their shafts. How's your tranny fluid (level and condition)?
If it's your clutch fluid being bad and not fully disengaging the clutch, then you can still pull the tranny "OUT" of any given gear when you let off the gas.
If your clutch is warped and continues to grab regardless of the clutch pedal being on the floor, again, you will still be able to pull out of gear.
If you can eliminate the tranny and linkage, then you need to focus on the clutch fluid and clutch. The fluid is an easy experiment - change it.
The clutch is a bit more difficult. Try this: Duplicate the exact conditions when you have this problem (length of drive, heat of day, time of day, etc). Now get it to speed in 1st on an empty roadway (noone behind you). Once up to a reasonable/comfortable speed, let off the gas and begin to coast down to a lower speed. When the car's speed gets to about 10 KM/hour, push the clutch to the floor. Do nothing else with the gas or the brake. Does the car creep slower and then come to a stop smoothly? If the clutch is warped or otherwise not disengaging, the car will continue to try to move ahead and the engine will start to labour against the weight of the car. If you've already changed the clutch fluid to eliminate the air and it continues to not let go, you've got some issues with the clutch disc, flywheel, PP.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Ok I'll give you the point form answers.

- It comes out of gear without using the clutch easily. (shift linkage and tranny eliminated)

- Tranny fluid was recently changed and overfilled a tad with Honda MTF. I "could" change it again for shits and giggles.

- The clutch fluid was changed with Motul RF 600 by speedstar (trusted s2000 service shop) not too long ago. Before the change it felt like crap and apparently looked like ink.

I have experimented alot. If I run up to 4k rpm or so in first, depress the clutch (although not every time) I will feel it drag. It "actually" feels like the plate could be sticking. I will give it more of a try tonight on the way home and fill in my feedback. But from what I can recall it does bog down a bit until it possibly breaks free. I know during this bogging feeling it is difficult to remove the shifter from 1st gear into neutral. However while the clutch is still to the floor and I tap the throttle it's fine. It feels like the plate is sticking and the throttle tap sets it free.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds to me that the tranny and linkage is OK and so is the clutch fluid. I fear that your clutch friction surfaces are in bad shape. Still on the original parts? Does the clutch movement seem smooth? Are there any odd "catches" or stickiness in the travel? Could be the throw out bearing sticking on the spindle or the release fork needs some greasing.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Before the fluid change the clutch felt like crap. After it felt like new again. It still feels strong and there's no slipping.

Still original parts with near 75K km.

The throw out bearing could possibly be sticking but you can't service that part without removing the clutch(right?). Can you service the release fork with it intact?

What gets me is it doesn't do this every time. I'm trying to see if there is a pattern but i can't seem to put on together. It's random.

Quick Reply: Difficult gear removal & rolling resistance