S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Dirty" oil, but it doesn't burn the oil?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default "Dirty" oil, but it doesn't burn the oil?

Dear all,

I recently had Mario (awesome job!) install some AP2 valve retainers. We both noted the rather dirty looking oil...

Car: 2000 AP1
Mileage: 138,000
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum
Oil age: 6 months, less than 2,000 miles
Am I burning oil? NO

Mario recommended that I use Castro oil instead. So my question is: Is this just a function of the Pennzoil Platinum not being a good oil for the S2000, or should I be concerned with the visual appearance of the oil with less than 2,000 miles? My car does not burn oil, at least not that I know of when I check it every 1,000 miles.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The colour of oil means nothing in terms of oil quality. All oil darkens with use, usually a function of heat combined with combustion by-products.

Though you could be getting excessive blowby in the engine, double check your pcv system to be safe. Some fuel dilution can cause oil to darken but S2000's aren't known for fuel dilution issues. Penz Platinum is an excellent oil, it could also be cleaning up old deposits in the engine if this is the first time you've used it. Synthetic oils are very good at cleaning old engine deposits. I think that is a great oil for that engine, Castrol won't be any improvement in any regard.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The colour of oil means nothing in terms of oil quality. All oil darkens with use, usually a function of heat combined with combustion by-products.

Though you could be getting excessive blowby in the engine, double check your pcv system to be safe. Some fuel dilution can cause oil to darken but S2000's aren't known for fuel dilution issues. Penz Platinum is an excellent oil, it could also be cleaning up old deposits in the engine if this is the first time you've used it. Synthetic oils are very good at cleaning old engine deposits. I think that is a great oil for that engine, Castrol won't be any improvement in any regard.
I started using Pennzoil Platinum with my Mazdaspeed 3 (we sort of swear by it at this point). I figured it's should be OK with the F20C as well.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been running pennzoil plat 10w30 in my engines for years. My company has a contract with them so I may be a bit biased, however ive used them in very high hp applications with nothing but success, and when inline pro did my stroker kit I asked them if it was fine to continue using it and they said it was perfectly fine. I will say that I noticed my oil is cleaner after installing my catch can. So i would recommend checking your pcv and looking into maybe running one especially if you like to see high rpm
Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by outeiroj
I've been running pennzoil plat 10w30 in my engines for years. My company has a contract with them so I may be a bit biased, however ive used them in very high hp applications with nothing but success, and when inline pro did my stroker kit I asked them if it was fine to continue using it and they said it was perfectly fine. I will say that I noticed my oil is cleaner after installing my catch can. So i would recommend checking your pcv and looking into maybe running one especially if you like to see high rpm
That's great to hear! Ok, so I'm just over-worrying myself then, haha thanks!
Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

modern engine oil is designed to held all dirt particels that are small enough to pass the oilfilter in suspension, to avoid accumulation of dirt and sludge in the engine.
if you change the oil, the dirt will get out of the engine with the oil. i would be more concerned if the oil will stay clear for a long time.

if you want to know more about engine oil, ask here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Non synthetic oil could leave those varnish-y deposits.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Pennzoil platinum 10w30 saved me.My motor is ovalized and puffs of smoke were coming out at traffic lights when accelarating from stopped or when coasting down in gear for a while.But not anymore thanks to Pennzoil.Ah,also the oil consumption was lowered.I needed 1.5 quart every 3k miles and now i need the same for 4k miles.And these all for the first time i used them.Now i did the oil change and i'm expecting even better results.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Generally speaking, Dino oil will leave the dark brown color (or varnish) over time (bunch of factors here) and synthetic will generally not leave varnish.

I have 70K miles and have used a synthetic from the beginning. (M1) and the insides are pure silver. I also change the oil much sooner than really needed: every 3K miles. Why? because I like to.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponS2000
The Pennzoil platinum 10w30 saved me.My motor is ovalized and puffs of smoke were coming out at traffic lights when accelarating from stopped or when coasting down in gear for a while.But not anymore thanks to Pennzoil.Ah,also the oil consumption was lowered.I needed 1.5 quart every 3k miles and now i need the same for 4k miles.And these all for the first time i used them.Now i did the oil change and i'm expecting even better results.
i had a similar situation with my ap1... i was burning a quart every 1500 miles on mobil one and as soon as i switched to pennzoil I was going 4k miles without even burning a full qt

Quick Reply: "Dirty" oil, but it doesn't burn the oil?