S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Double check my maintenance list, please!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double check my maintenance list, please!

Bought my second S2000 and started completing necessary maintenance over the past couple weeks. The first S I owned already had all forum recommended maintenance completed before I purchased it, so if someone could double check my list of "done's" and "to-do's" I would greatly appreciated it. I do all my own maintenance I'm overly cautious/paranoid/ocd about my vehicles! For reference, the car is a 2000 and has 73k miles. Any suggestions for further care are welcomed.

-Compression test (all cylinders over 210psi)
-Oil/filter changed (Castrol 10w30, OEM filter)
-Valve retainers/keepers replaced (none were cracked, just preventative)
-Spark plugs replaced (NGK)
-Coolant/diff/trans/brake/clutch fluid replaced (Honda coolant, Honda MTF, Mobil 1 75w90 in the diff, DOT3 for brake/clutch)
-PCV Valve replaced (OEM)
-Axle nuts tightened (to super, duper tight)
-Valve cover gasket replaced (OEM)
-Drive belt replaced (Continental)
-Valves adjusted
-Billman TCT installed

Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Looks good other than no mention of tires, non-OEM accessory belt, and the "super-duper" tight rear axle nuts. "Super-duper" is neither a spec nor a measurement. Recommendation is (currently) 60° tighter than the factory setting. That's "one flat" of the nut.

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2018, 07:29 AM

I torqued it to the newest TSB torque (220ft/lb?) and then somewhere between 45-60 degrees. Coincidentally, it was as far as my 1/2" breaker would let me go. I've heard of many people snapping off the ends of the axle shaft, so since that didn't happen and the single "pop" noise when away I believe it should be okay. As far as the belt goes, I'm sure everyone has their preference. The car isn't a daily driver and I've used continental serpentine belts on several occasions over the years with zero failures to this point. Tires were replaced with Continental Extreme Contact and an alignment was performed right before I bought the car. Steering wheel isn't perfectly straight so I'm going to realign it myself this weekend.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Intake filter
air conditioning filter under cowl
Clean throttle body & map channel
Clean IACV
Remove and clean injectors
retorque subframe bolts
Adjust throttle cable and cruise cables to spec to minimize flapping slack
Clean and shinetsu all the rubber/mouldings on the car
Loosen, silicon spray and retorque soft top hindges.
Clean, grease retorque hood latch to prevent squeaks
Clean your suspension bushings with a degreaser and use some silicon spray, wipe away the excess to feel dry

Intake filter is new, definitely need to check on the AC/Cabin filter. Cleaning the IAC looks easy enough, I'll try to tackle that tonight after I do a little bit of paint correction on the hood. I restored the headlamps with Meguiars 105/205 and they turned out CRYSTAL clear. Going to try and get away with just using clay and 205 polish on the hood. Is removing and cleaning the injectors full necessary? I've never gone down that road before since I have access to Denso replacements at a pretty decent discount.