S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Drivers side door adjustment

Old 05-23-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side door adjustment

It appears that my drivers side door is getting further and further out of alignment and does not want to shut normally. I suppose this is the 2 door car door sag, which considering how small the doors are on the s2000 is quite surprising that itd do that. The drivers side door kinda drops after I open it. How can I readjust it to where its back in-line?? I did a search for door adjustment but I didnt see any posts about it.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Besides ensuring that the door hinges are tightly screwed in, there really is not adjustment for a sagging door. It sounds like the door was used like a "gate swing" - someone hanging on it while it was open. I have heard of no other S2000 with a sagging door as you describe.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM

well when i originally bought the car the door worked fine but I noticed over time that it was starting to get more and more off alignment. Now I have to pick the door up and set it on the hinge to get it to shut right. The car had been in a wreck before I bought it so I am 100% sure that has something to do with it. But it appears that i will have to take the front drivers side corner panel off to even inspect the bolts from that side of the connection
Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 PM

my 4 year old s2k doors don't sag. i think your car wasn't fixed properly. you can take off the door panel and check the bolts tho, but if your doors don't close properly, i'd suspect you may have bigger problems (frame damage)
Old 05-23-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Dolemike
The car had been in a wreck before I bought it so I am 100% sure that has something to do with it.
It would have been nice if you had included this little tidbit in your first post. As I have said before and I'll say it again ..................... A better question will get you a better answer. I would encourage you to consider this for your future questions.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:12 PM

this my sound silly, but my friend fixed his car by jacking it behind the hinge. Note: This was a really old dodge colt junker.

But on the serious side:
You may want to check under your car for any damaged components (smashed, cracked, or missing). If and when you find it. see if you can replace it, or bend it back and weld or bolt-on(prefered) some reinforce it.

When we find damage on parts on an aircraft, a general rule would be to use larger angles and sheet metal, maintaining minumum of 3 to 4 fasteners around the trim edge. A quick way to determine the fastener size is look for the nearest structural fastener to that area. use 1 size larger.

In any case check under the car, if you find the damage, take a picture. Maybe we can help develope a repair.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM

Cool I will do that, a friend of mine works at a body shop in Raleigh and is going to help me out. If the dealership sold me a car with frame damage that would be illegal right?? However im sure the cars frame is ok. Ill keep you guys posted on this since this appears to be uncharted territory.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If the door closed properly when you first got it, then it must have been repaired correctly. Your condition is changing with time. This would indicate something is loose, like the bolts for the hinge - not that it was never corrected from an accident.

Also, if the dealer disclosed that there was an accident (which it appears they did), then their legal obligation is fulfilled. Ofcourse, LegalBill could come in here and correct me. But for now, I'm stcking with that! Hahaha.

Check on tightening up those hinge bolts!

Hockey
Old 05-24-2004, 09:04 AM

Alrighty, so i get in there with a socket wrench, and i can only get at 2 bolts with it as the rest of them are just in too tight of a space to fit with teh socket. 3 of the bolts appear to have been tightened before as the paint on them had been worn off from prior work. So I suspect the other bolts that I can not get at with the socket are suspect as well. Im grabbing some other tools and gonna go to town with it. The dealers actually never disclosed that it had been in a wreck before, i could tell by carefully checking it out that it had been in a wreck, but with the situation i was in prior to buying it i didnt mind. I had a Contour SVT that was about to blow an engine and require a 4th transmission. Needless to say I dont think anyone would argue with the decision to trade out of that. Anyways, im going to grab some more tools and try to tighten everything up, ill keep all interested informed of the latest.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:00 AM

Ok, problem found and its going to be a fun day in the ballpark on this one too fellas. It appears the lower hinge is loose, which means the front corner panel has to come off to get to the appropriate bolts to tighten and im quite sure the problem will be solved.

Quick Reply: Drivers side door adjustment