S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driveshaft trouble...what are my options?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft trouble...what are my options?

My car just started to develop a kind of knocking/strong vibration when I go above ~ 25% throttle. Light and easy driving there is no such noise.....so I jacked the car up and found this...

I understand I can take the driveshaft out and repack the grease in the cv joint, but how would that make the noise go away and ultimately fox things? Maybe I hope.

Aside from getting a new driveshaft, what other options do I have?

And yes, my clutch was replaced at a shop ~20k miles ago, and from what I understand not tightening the bolts enough could have caused the grease to leak out?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you had looked up other's issues you may have read it already, but I would check the axles as well. When they have wear/tear on them they will do a very similar vibration/noise under acceleration. The joints start to form pits in them and in turn vibrate.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

the driveshaft mounting bolts dont hold the cap on. There are two bolts on the other side that hold the cap. And yes, having no grease in the CV joints will cause noise...putting grease back in will stop metal to metal contact and reduce-stop the noise. If you service the drive shaft you need to get the cap completely clean as Hondabond is used to seal the gasket surface on the cap to the CV joint.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You can also replace the cv joints. Same jount both ends. There is a diy thread you can search for, includes link to parts needed.

If it were me, I'd rather do it once, and know it was fixed, then go through the labor and mess of just repacking, and hoping that fixed it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You can also replace the cv joints. Same jount both ends. There is a diy thread you can search for, includes link to parts needed.

If it were me, I'd rather do it once, and know it was fixed, then go through the labor and mess of just repacking, and hoping that fixed it.
I found this thead,

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...shaft-1113726/

I'm probably going to pull the shaft out tomorrow and regrease to see if it's tighter/better.

Hers a quick video:

Last edited by mtbtorrent; 05-15-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 AM

It seems you can only swap cv joints from other s2k driveshafts, meaning there's no part easily available from autozone, doorman, ect....that sucks just a litt bit lol.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I could have sworn I saw a DIY to change the boot/cv joint.

Here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...build-1171846/
The following users liked this post:
mtbtorrent (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I could have sworn I saw a DIY to change the boot/cv joint.

Here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...build-1171846/

THANK YOU Slowcrash!! You just made my damn week!!! I love this forum.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Time for an update-

i pulled the driveshaft out and found that the front and rear cv joint were similar in play and pretty much had the same amount of grease inside surprisingly. I didn't take any pictures, but the color of the grease was the same as well. The grease was leaking out of the top cap that is held on by the two 5mm Allen bolts. I just added grease and tightened them up (they were much looser than the rear cap, and it came off with little effort whereas the rear cap had to be hammered off.

I am am going to pull the driver side axle out next to inspect as mentioned in the first response.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbtorrent
Time for an update-

i pulled the driveshaft out and found that the front and rear cv joint were similar in play and pretty much had the same amount of grease inside surprisingly. I didn't take any pictures, but the color of the grease was the same as well. The grease was leaking out of the top cap that is held on by the two 5mm Allen bolts. I just added grease and tightened them up (they were much looser than the rear cap, and it came off with little effort whereas the rear cap had to be hammered off.

I am am going to pull the driver side axle out next to inspect as mentioned in the first response.
why would you not clean the old grease out and put in new since you were already at that point...just wasted your time with that one.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft trouble...what are my options?