S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Overheated - Engine Noise

Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Overheated - Engine Noise

Oil leaked from my engine causing it to overheat, now it is making a clanking, knocking noise. I listened to the engine to try to determine the source of the noise, and it sounds like it is coming more from the top of the engine/cylinder head rather than the bottom of the engine block. And sound seems more like a clanking sound rather than a deep knocking sound. The sound occurs while at idle and also when driving? I have a video with the sound posted on youtube Youtube S2000 Engine Noise Video, could you please take a quick listen and help me diagnose what may be causing this? Is it the main bearings or crankshaft or connecting rods or valves? I did a cranking compression test and running compression test and the readings appeared to be within normal range. Your help is greatly appreciated it.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Don't drive the car.It might repairable but not if u continue to drive it and the engine blows $$.Is it throwing a code? Did the exhaust smoke? HG appear to be leaking? Coolant in the oil?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the oil leak out? Loose filter or drain plug?

I wouldn't start that engine again until it's been torn down completely.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 AM

thanks for the input. no the check engine light did not come on and it did not throw a code. no smoke is coming out of the exhaust. i believe the oil leaked out of the filter. why would you think it is the head gasket, the compression tests are within spec? i been watching other videos on youtube on s2000 engine noises and have heard similar noises in which people commented indicating they thought it may be a problem with the timing chain tensioner. would a lack of oil cause an issue to timing chain tensioner? does the noise on my engine sound like a timing chain tensioner problem?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 AM

TCT makes a rapid clicking.What u got sounds like something different.The reason I asked about the HG is because most people post sketchy facts and overheating can = wharped head.Sorry for the bad news.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the compression test was OK, you need someone to drop the pan and inspect the rod bearings. Don't drive the car, have it towed to a trusted independent garage. GL
Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your motor is done. Rod and/or main bearings are toast. Time for a new F20 or F22
Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is rod knock. Sorry...time for a rebuild or new motor.

On the early AP1s you have to check the oil REGULARLY...they can use up to 1qt every 3k miles.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep time for a new motor. I just got finshed putting a new block in MY02 about 2 weeks ago. (Thanks to FireF4ly for selling me the block.) I had a scored cylinder and it made almost the exact same noise. Sorry man I know how it feels. Good luck with it.
-Max
Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, man. You didn't check your oil regularly. It didn't "leak," it was used up. The engine likely starved. The check engine light and the oil pressure light only come on when something is already blown. There is no oil level light.

Quick Reply: Engine Overheated - Engine Noise