S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Old 01-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've no idea why the PCV for an Acura whould be better than the Honda part. Regardless changing the PCV valve is a 3 minute job and has been known to reduce oil consumption. I just did it a month or so ago as preventive maintenance.

-- Chuck
The Ap2 valve cover pcv is horizontal across the oil baffle instead of vertical like a straw against the baffle on ap1s. The TSX PCV has an extended straw reaching further into the valve cover - still leaving 1/2" of clearance to the internal casting. The regular ap2 pcv sits flush with the internal casting, so when the oil pools there it gets sucked up still, just not as bad as the ap1 pcv. The TSX pcv with ap2 cover is as close as you can get to minimizing oil consumption through the pcv without deleting and using honda parts.

Last edited by Deckoz; 01-01-2019 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deckoz:
Chuck S (01-02-2019), Filigranas (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One member suggested to change this screws. Since lasth month, mines do leak.

Check this out:
Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Filigranas
One member suggested to change this screws. Since lasth month, mines do leak.
Check this out:
This is pretty much exactly the kind of oil leak that can potentially **** up your crankcase pressure

Get a set of these gaskets as a start:

https://goo.gl/FPgPLh - OEM Replacement Valve Cover Gasket Seal Set

I've no idea why the PCV for an Acura whould be better than the Honda part.
From my understanding, you would only really get an improvement over the original S2000 PCV when tracking the car.

The reason why people like to use a PCV valve with the extended tube inside the valve cover on track is, during high speed corners oil can creep up the inside wall of your valve cover and therefore make its way into the intake manifold through the PCV valve.

This is why you sometimes see big clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust while cornering hard. The extended tube on the inside would reduce the chance of oil making it through the valve.

The following 2 users liked this post by nubbel:
Chuck S (01-02-2019), Filigranas (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by nubbel
This is pretty much exactly the kind of oil leak that can potentially **** up your crankcase pressure

Get a set of these gaskets as a start:

https://goo.gl/FPgPLh - OEM Replacement Valve Cover Gasket Seal Set

From my understanding, you would only really get an improvement over the original S2000 PCV when tracking the car.

The reason why people like to use a PCV valve with the extended tube inside the valve cover on track is, during high speed corners oil can creep up the inside wall of your valve cover and therefore make its way into the intake manifold through the PCV valve.

This is why you sometimes see big clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust while cornering hard. The extended tube on the inside would reduce the chance of oil making it through the valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcpFiTBZffU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhqTsh-2KU

I have contacted that ebay seller to see if he also can supply me the other pieces.

By curiosity, how much are those on Honda UK or Europe? I guess double or more...

and the rest of the gaskets etc?

thank you very much.

I have been told of peope brokening the engine on track after hard cornerings getting all the oil at at side
so no oil pumping on the engine, so this make sense.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Thanks, guys, for the explanation on the Acura PCV. Same price as the Honda part (or close enough).

-- Chuck
Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks, guys, for the explanation on the Acura PCV. Same price as the Honda part (or close enough).

-- Chuck

Can any quote the aprox price to avoid me being screwed on Honda Europe?

Thanks!

BTW on other forum, they have posted the S2000 manual and it´s say 1 litter every 1000 kms is “normal”. please check

Cambiar estas piezas para bajar consumo brutal de aceite? - S2000 - Club HondaSpirit
Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Thanks!

BTW on other forum, they have posted the S2000 manual and it´s say 1 litter every 1000 kms is “normal”. please check

Cambiar estas piezas para bajar consumo brutal de aceite? - S2000 - Club HondaSpirit

where is the EDIT icon on this forum? Do not find it

I found the price, very cheap, but are 2 different references by age, which one should I get?

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...pcv_valve.html
Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The part number listed in one of the first posts is 17130-RBB-A01. On-line pictures don't look like the picture here (earlier), they look like the S2000 PCV. No internal extension in the on-line photos. Will see next week. I ordered one "just 'cuz."

The January 2003 service letter linked in a message linked above notes the (AP1) engine can consume as much as one liter in 1600 kms (~1000 miles) when driven at high rpm. Can consume. As much as. At high rpm.

-- Chuck
Old 01-05-2019, 01:13 PM

The part number listed in one of the first posts is 17130-RBB-A01. On-line pictures don't look like the picture here (earlier), they look like the S2000 PCV. No internal extension in the on-line photos. Will see next week. I ordered one "just 'cuz."

The January 2003 service letter linked in a message linked above notes the (AP1) engine can consume as much as one liter in 1600 kms (~1000 miles) when driven at high rpm. Can consume. As much as. At high rpm.

-- Chuck

But mine consumes s much going slow and using Vtec once on a while, so something is wrong
Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks!

If you read carefully, that service letter mentions only up to 1 liter per 1600 km, in the case those 1600k's were driven during constant high-rpm (racing?) conditions. That seems pretty reasonable to me, as opposed to 1 liter per 1000 km in normal/street driving conditions.

Not saying this will be your problem 100%, but probably you have, like many AP1's, bad piston rings and/or ovalized cylinder bores, resulting in bad oil consumption. In that case you will have to rebuild or replace the engine .

Last edited by Scigheras; 01-06-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km