S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Old 12-31-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km

Hello,

I own a 2001 AP1 for 14 years I got t with only 4 and 37.000 kms. it was mint.

It always drank a lot of oil, I change it as the manual says, every 7500 kms. and used to consume 3 liters.

Now with 145.000 kms, it consumes the full spare 5 liter box when I arrive to the change.

I have used Valvoline, and Motul Xcess 5/40

I live on a dessertic area on Spain where the lowest temperature is 5 celsius and the max 45, almost Arizona but very wet, since
is on the coast.

I am afraid to damage any important thing, I need to to again the compression test.

Being told about something about valves or to use a bottle of those lowering oil consume Wynns bottles.

Thank you and happy 2019
Old 12-31-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am pretty sure not a single person on this forum will suggest using any additional snake oil additives on our engines

As you already mentioned, do a compression test (leak down test will tell you more though but requires more equipment) and if you want to be sure the internals are fine you can further invest in an oil analysis.

There was a rather recent thread about excessive oil consumption due to bad crankcase pressure, unfortunately the creator deleted most of it... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24534631

In short, make sure your valve cover is properly sealed and get a new PCV valve - as the spring might wear out(?) - it's only a few bucks and done in 5min.

My MY2004 F20C (110kkm) is at about 1L every 2300km right now.

I already bought all the necessary gaskets but so far just replaced the oil filler gasket and dipstick o-rings, once its winter hibernation is over I can report back on any improvements.

On a side note, is it necessary to do a full-on oil change even though the full 5L have basically been replaced by the time a change is due?
As long as the base number (BN) doesn't go down, which it shouldn't since there is fresh oil added regularly and dirty oil is consumed, it should be good to go...
Old 12-31-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by nubbel
I am pretty sure not a single person on this forum will suggest using any additional snake oil additives on our engines

As you already mentioned, do a compression test (leak down test will tell you more though but requires more equipment) and if you want to be sure the internals are fine you can invest in an oil analysis.

There was a rather recent thread about excessive oil consumption due to bad crankcase pressure, unfortunately the creator deleted most of it... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24534631

In short, make sure your valve cover is properly sealed and get a new PCV valve - as the spring might wear out(?) - it's only a few bucks and done in 5min.

I already bought all the necessary gaskets but so far just replaced the oil filler gasket and dipstick o-rings, once its winter hibernation is over I can report back on any improvements.

On a side note, is it necessary to do a full-on oil change even though the full 5L have basically been replaced by the time a change is due?
As long as the base number (BN) doesn't go down, which it shouldn't since there is fresh oil added regularly and dirty oil is consumed, it should be good to go...

I change the oil and filter of course, every 7500 kms. or a single year.

I have got good results for other tasks using Metal Lube on the engine oil as well as inyector cleaning bottles. Are those bad?

thanks for the answer.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:08 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

As you already mentioned, do a compression test (leak down test will tell you more though but requires more equipment) and if you want to be sure the internals are fine you can further invest in an oil analysis.

Adding more oil doesn't take out the blowby you accumulated in an OCI worth of driving. Even if your TBN is ok, you still have metal particulates in your oil, which keep getting caught by the filter until they can't.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Even if your TBN is ok, you still have metal particulates in your oil, which keep getting caught by the filter until they can't.
Sounds good, changing just the filter every 24k km then
Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi, I restored the original post.
The following users liked this post:
nubbel (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 AM

So in resume, I should change?

I'm going to add to this, While I minimized oil consumption as notated above. It has been even further minimized. I switched from an 00-03 Valve cover to an 04-05 AP2 valve cover - but using the TSX PCV

-oil cap gasket
-pcv valve
-dipstick orings

? Thanks and happy new year
Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Filigranas
So in resume, I should change?

I'm going to add to this, While I minimized oil consumption as notated above. It has been even further minimized. I switched from an 00-03 Valve cover to an 04-05 AP2 valve cover - but using the TSX PCV

-oil cap gasket
-pcv valve
-dipstick orings

? Thanks and happy new year

Check for weeping oil leaks
replace low pressure gaskets where air can escape
  • TDC Sensors O-Ring
  • Oil Filler Gasket
  • Oil Dip Stick(cant order orings separate)
  • TCT Gasket & Peep Hole Washer
  • Cam Idler Pulley O-Ring
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Spark Tube Seals
  • Valve Cover Bolt Grommets
  • PCV Grommet and PCV, or Switch to an 04-05 Valve cover if you have an 00-03 AP1, and utilize Acura TSX PCV, Acura Part #17130-RBB-A01

Is what I did basically.
Filigranas (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Check for weeping oil leaks
replace low pressure gaskets where air can escape
  • TDC Sensors O-Ring
  • Oil Filler Gasket
  • Oil Dip Stick(cant order orings separate)
  • TCT Gasket & Peep Hole Washer
  • Cam Idler Pulley O-Ring
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Spark Tube Seals
  • Valve Cover Bolt Grommets
  • PCV Grommet and PCV, or Switch to an 04-05 Valve cover if you have an 00-03 AP1, and utilize Acura TSX PCV, Acura Part #17130-RBB-A01

Is what I did basically.

Thanks!

How much in all those pieces more or less? Just to know.

Acura in Europe, do not know if Honda can supply those.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I've no idea why the PCV for an Acura whould be better than the Honda part. Regardless changing the PCV valve is a 3 minute job and has been known to reduce oil consumption. I just did it a month or so ago as preventive maintenance.

-- Chuck
Filigranas (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Extreme oil consume, 5 liter every 7500km